richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
To all of my fellow vibrating friends,
4 months, 7 dealer visits, a BBB complaint (this is really the only thing that worked), over 30 days at the dealer but i think the vibration issue has finally been solved. Here is a breakdown of what went down, hopefully some off you will be able to force your dealer into doing the same and stop your shakes. I was always steering wheel and drivers seat, never felt anything of consequence through the gas petal.

Tires road force balanced and rotated - no effect
All 4 tires replaced (20" Pirelli's) - no effect
Complete removal of rear end and inspect nothing found - no effect
Replace drive shaft - no effect
Some computer stuff to transmission that I wont pretend I understand - no effect
All 4 tires replaced again (20" Pirelli's) - no effect
Tires road force balanced and rotated for the 37th time - no effect
I'm sure there were several other things done that I don't remember - no effect
Opened a BBB complaint, Ford sent an engineer to dealer
Front differential replaced - Picked her up this morning, Viola! she drives like a Mercedes!

Only put roughly 50 miles in but they felt like I was actually driving the $75k truck that I paid for. I will update if anything does not hold.
What made them finally replace the front diff? Just shooting fish in a barrel or is there an actual diagnostic they did to spot the issue?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
What made them finally replace the front diff? Just shooting fish in a barrel or is there an actual diagnostic they did to spot the issue?
I'm just guessing, but if they finally took the time to use the NVH tools that are available at the dealerships, (if they invest in having the necessary tools) they can literally play the "you're getting hotter or colder" game and narrow it down.
Same with noises. They have tools for placing sensors all over the truck and then measure which sensor(s) are closest to the source of the noise.

But you have to have a technician that isn't apathetic and has the desire to make the effort.

Ford F-150 22 F-150 Tire Vibration Screenshot_20230505_164545_eBay

BigDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
An actual engineer from Ford - NOT a dealer tech looked at the truck.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
An actual engineer from Ford - NOT a dealer tech looked at the truck.
Unreal. It sounds like you were incredibly patient wanting to get to the bottom of this… I hope they do something kind.

Just 5 minutes ago I discovered yet another issue to add to the work order: passenger side door handle touch to lock / unlock doesn’t work 🙄 good god. I’ve only had this thing for 2 months and already had a no start situation as well.

CarbonizedRCSB

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L RCSB Carbonized Gray
Well, I don't have a front diff. but I always had a feeling the culprit was in the rear diff. I have another appointment next week so fingers crossed...

Sponsored

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To all of my fellow vibrating friends,
4 months, 7 dealer visits, a BBB complaint (this is really the only thing that worked), over 30 days at the dealer but i think the vibration issue has finally been solved. Here is a breakdown of what went down, hopefully some off you will be able to force your dealer into doing the same and stop your shakes. I was always steering wheel and drivers seat, never felt anything of consequence through the gas petal.

Tires road force balanced and rotated - no effect
All 4 tires replaced (20" Pirelli's) - no effect
Complete removal of rear end and inspect nothing found - no effect
Replace drive shaft - no effect
Some computer stuff to transmission that I wont pretend I understand - no effect
Tires road force balanced and rotated for the 37th time - no effect
I'm sure there were several other things done that I don't remember - no effect
Opened a BBB complaint, Ford sent an engineer to dealer
Front differential replaced - Picked her up this morning, Viola! she drives like a Mercedes!

Only put roughly 50 miles in but they felt like I was actually driving the $75k truck that I paid for. I will update if anything does not hold.
BTW, are you running stock tires or something more aggressive? I'm anticipating being told that my AT tires are the cause.

BigDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
BTW, are you running stock tires or something more aggressive? I'm anticipating being told that my AT tires are the cause.
All stock for now - 20" Pirelli's which i absolutely hate

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Screw 3.5EB max tow
Occupation
Tech
This weekend I went over everything that has fluid in it. The rear differential was pretty low on gear oil. It took over ten pumps to get the fluid to drip out. The transfer case took some fluid because of the three driveshaft removals. The trucks drove better but still slight variations. Today my third driveshaft was tested by a driveshaft shop and deemed to be perfect. I added a vibration isolation pad under my gas pedal. That took care of pedal vibration. Still feel a little bit of a vibration coming from the backend of the truck.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This weekend I went over everything that has fluid in it. The rear differential was pretty low on gear oil. It took over ten pumps to get the fluid to drip out. The transfer case took some fluid because of the three driveshaft removals. The trucks drove better but still slight variations. Today my third driveshaft was tested by a driveshaft shop and deemed to be perfect. I added a vibration isolation pad under my gas pedal. That took care of pedal vibration. Still feel a little bit of a vibration coming from the backend of the truck.
Interesting. What pad did you use and was it an easy process?

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Interesting. What pad did you use and was it an easy process?
I’ve been reading on the pedal vibration. A lot of people are using special washers and the pad behind the gas pedal. There are three 1/2 bolts on the gas pedal side. Once remove the pedal can be moved. I traced the shape cut and punch three holes and bolted it back to the fire wall. The factory bolts worked just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019NZOG0M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Sponsored

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Most are using a combination of washers and the pad with longer bolts. I did use washers at the fire wall and just added the padding today. Basically it’s just masking whatever is causing the vibration. I figure sooner or later someone will figure this out.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Most are using a combination of washers and the pad with longer bolts. I did use washers at the fire wall and just added the padding today. Basically it’s just masking whatever is causing the vibration. I figure sooner or later someone will figure this out.
Thanks! I’ll probably end up doing this.
Funny how some claim to have zero vibration in their pedals. If that’s true, why the inconsistency? Or, are certain people just sensitive to high frequency vibration?
It’s funny… the kind of vibration my 2 door Wrangler with MT tires produces doesn’t bother me, but the ones on the F150 get under my skin 🤔

OP
OP
NB64

NB64

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Thanks! I’ll probably end up doing this.
Funny how some claim to have zero vibration in their pedals. If that’s true, why the inconsistency? Or, are certain people just sensitive to high frequency vibration?
It’s funny… the kind of vibration my 2 door Wrangler with MT tires produces doesn’t bother me, but the ones on the F150 get under my skin 🤔
Lol, I’m high frequency sensitive.

Jayet96

First Name
Jaye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT FX4 Supercrew
Lol, I’m high frequency sensitive.
Since I finally got a good balance on my tires the vibrations I feel are very much road specific. Asphalt roads tend to produce a harmonic frequency type vibration through the seat and steering wheel for me. Not a jarring vibration but a nuisance nonetheless. I guess I am sensitive also.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since I finally got a good balance on my tires the vibrations I feel are very much road specific. Asphalt roads tend to produce a harmonic frequency type vibration through the seat and steering wheel for me. Not a jarring vibration but a nuisance nonetheless. I guess I am sensitive also.
What tires do you have?

I’m going out o drive another one on the lot to see if it’s specific to my truck and/or non stock tires.
Sponsored