First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL 4x4 5.0 RCSB
Occupation
engineering manager
I notched the driver side but turns out, I didn't have to. Passenger side is not notched. Once the bottom shackle bolt is removed, I was able to jack the center section up enough to clear the frame in order to remove the top bolt.
Sponsored

cyulst2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
I notched the driver side but turns out, I didn't have to. Passenger side is not notched. Once the bottom shackle bolt is removed, I was able to jack the center section up enough to clear the frame in order to remove the top bolt.
Good to know, thank you. I thought everyone was notching the bed support due to suspension travel after install. I didn't know this was all being done just to install the shackles. Appreciate the insight!

Haulster

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150, 19 Golf GTI
Occupation
Sales
Okay.
I used the MaxTrax shackles.
they come pretty darn close to the box support.

The max Trax will go on a lot easier than the originals come off.
Lower the spare before you get underway, you may need the space for wrestling. (I’m over 60 so not nearly as limber as years ago.)
Shackles alone lowered the rear at the receiver 1-1/4”.

The following weekend, I removed the 4x4 blocks and that brought the rear down an additional 1-1/2 inches.

total of 2-3/4” down at the rear and up about 1/2 at the front.

I have an 8’ SuperCab 4x4 and it is sitting pretty close to level.
Feels a bit heavier in the rear as well, not so much chatter on washboard surfaces.

Also installed the 2wd rear bump stops as well, but I probably did not need to.

059C7B26-8BCD-4533-9D97-D1776C380545.jpeg
Bryan, I plan to do the same modification to my 21 F150 Reg cab. Did you need to loosen the bed to gain clearance to remove the top shackle bolt or just jack the differential up once the bottom bolt was removed? Any other tips on the procedure would be appreciated.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Bryan, I plan to do the same modification to my 21 F150 Reg cab. Did you need to loosen the bed to gain clearance to remove the top shackle bolt or just jack the differential up once the bottom bolt was removed? Any other tips on the procedure would be appreciated.
Did not loosen the bed at all.
Did drop the spare tire for more room to work.
I will be honest---I was a good wrestling match, but perseverance may have paid off in the end.
Once that bolt comes out and you have the shackle off, you have won the battle.
The new shackles are differently designed and fall right into place with no fuss at all.

I considered removing the front bolts, but dropping a full tank of gas and an exhaust system nipped that right in the bud. S0--The contest of will began.

I did the shackles on one weekend---took more than a couple of hours as I seldom rush for ANYTHING and am more than willing to to give it a bit more thought.

The following weekend was the block removal and "U" bolt change to the 2wd version.
Also bought a pair of the 2wd bump stops as well.

More than pleased with the results. Not always going downhill now.
Rear of truck feels a bit heavier and less wheel hop on a washboard surface.
Tailgate down is now at a reasonable height to use as a work table.

Still a bit taller than my 98 K1500, But the step boards make it easy to get into--Not really needed on the Chevy.

Also my Chevy was pretty much dead nuts level from the factory.

Stealth88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a
Occupation
Aerospace
I didn’t even take my wheels off or the spare when I did my shackles. First I loosened the shackle bolts and then raised the rear by the bumper hitch with my floor jack enough to remove the bottom shackle bolts. Then I lowered the rear slowly to get the top shackle to clear the frame and off came the shackle. Install in reverse order. At each step I had jackstands under the frame for safety. Total time 45 minutes start to finish.

Haulster

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150, 19 Golf GTI
Occupation
Sales
Did not loosen the bed at all.
Did drop the spare tire for more room to work.
I will be honest---I was a good wrestling match, but perseverance may have paid off in the end.
Once that bolt comes out and you have the shackle off, you have won the battle.
The new shackles are differently designed and fall right into place with no fuss at all.

I considered removing the front bolts, but dropping a full tank of gas and an exhaust system nipped that right in the bud. S0--The contest of will began.

I did the shackles on one weekend---took more than a couple of hours as I seldom rush for ANYTHING and am more than willing to to give it a bit more thought.

The following weekend was the block removal and "U" bolt change to the 2wd version.
Also bought a pair of the 2wd bump stops as well.

More than pleased with the results. Not always going downhill now.
Rear of truck feels a bit heavier and less wheel hop on a washboard surface.
Tailgate down is now at a reasonable height to use as a work table.

Still a bit taller than my 98 K1500, But the step boards make it easy to get into--Not really needed on the Chevy.

Also my Chevy was pretty much dead nuts level from the factory.
Great Information, thank you. One more thing, did you shim the differential and if not, do you have any driveline vibration. Thanks again!
Sponsored