2023 Powerboost “stop safely now” no start

Schulz314

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat, 3.5L PB, BAP, Max Trailer Tow
Statistically speaking, the $80,000 vehicle is more likely to have issues than the $30,000 vehicle.

I imagine your truck has MORE than 40 modules onboard.
The $30,000 vehicle might have as little as 7 modules.

So much software, harnesses, connectors....... It's amazing everything actually works sometimes. 🤣
You must work for Ford lol I kinda find this comment laughable. I mean there is a lot of advanced tech in the world now a days and I don’t think it’s an excuse when obviously there are significant and reoccurring issues with this engine and the electronics. Let’s be glad our cell phone don’t not work for hours at a time until they just decide to start working again. Oh but that stuff is complicated so it amazing that it works at all. If the tech is too advanced to be done reliably then Ford should not be pushing it out anyway for its customers and dealers to have to deal with. I’m also floored that there are those out there who bought the $80K truck, the $5K warranty, and are now getting extra batteries and vehicle scanners to try and get a working product 😂😂. What in the world have we come to. When the guy below has only 200 miles before running into an issue, mine at 1,100 miles, something is wrong
Sponsored

Last edited:

23WhitePwrbstF150

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
I just experience this STOP SAFELY NOW message on the screen today. Truck wouldn't start. Just purchased it on Fri night and its barely had 200 miles. It all started the day after purchase where I had issue with the tailgate not releasing when unlocking from inside. 2 days later the truck would not start. Truck is at the dealership now, lets see what happens.

Schulz314

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat, 3.5L PB, BAP, Max Trailer Tow
I just experience this STOP SAFELY NOW message on the screen today. Truck wouldn't start. Just purchased it on Fri night and its barely had 200 miles. It all started the day after purchase where I had issue with the tailgate not releasing when unlocking from inside. 2 days later the truck would not start. Truck is at the dealership now, lets see what happens.
Mine is at the dealer as well. Less than 1,300 miles on it and have had it for 2 1/2 weeks. I fear we made a bad choice with the PowerBoost, there are a lot of people with issues.

fwunder

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A Sport 7.2Kw
Occupation
retired
Just had it happen to me '23 XLT w/3K miles.

After a few minutes, used FordPass remote startup. Started right up.

SOC HV Battery: 50%

Codes captured:

Ford F-150 2023 Powerboost “stop safely now” no start IMG_6719

Ford F-150 2023 Powerboost “stop safely now” no start IMG_6721

TheDIG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford F150 Lariat
Joining the thread here! 23 Powerboost, 2100 miles. Got a stop safely now error last night, truck would not start. Wouldn't start with the button, remote start with the fob, or through the app. After about an hour of trying things, it finally started and has been fine since. Took it to the dealer this morning, no error codes in the computer and both batteries tested good so they say. 'Call us if it happens again'. Ugh.

Sponsored

23WhitePwrbstF150

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
Update: service advisor showed me the fdrs and there were error codes seen at the time the stop safely now message was seen in cluster. One of the codes was U0293 which fwunder provided in the screenshot. It seems as there were several codes seen. Regarding the tailgate not releasing, it’s seems to be related. Both my trucks are in the shop at this time.

fwunder

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A Sport 7.2Kw
Occupation
retired
Joining the thread here! 23 Powerboost, 2100 miles. Got a stop safely now error last night, truck would not start. Wouldn't start with the button, remote start with the fob, or through the app. After about an hour of trying things, it finally started and has been fine since. Took it to the dealer this morning, no error codes in the computer and both batteries tested good so they say. 'Call us if it happens again'. Ugh.
Codes are not permanent and clear after successful startup. They need to be captured at time of incident.

OP
OP

RezGuy81

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost XLT
Solved!

The hybrid control module underneath the 12v battery. An orange connector was missing the blue lock tab. Causing the connector to move slightly off and on. Resulting in the truck to display "stop safely now" warning.

Symptoms included were 12v drain, loss power steering, invertor issues, stop safely now warning, engine light. I'm missing a couple more. Changed harness and haven't had any issues since then. Ford offered extended warranty and Ford maintenance plan 120k/7yr.

Good luck everyone. Love my powerboost. If shit didnt go bad, how would what is good? Lol

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
You must work for Ford lol I kinda find this comment laughable. I mean there is a lot of advanced tech in the world now a days and I don’t think it’s an excuse when obviously there are significant and reoccurring issues with this engine and the electronics. Let’s be glad our cell phone don’t not work for hours at a time until they just decide to start working again. Oh but that stuff is complicated so it amazing that it works at all. If the tech is too advanced to be done reliably then Ford should not be pushing it out anyway for its customers and dealers to have to deal with. I’m also floored that there are those out there who bought the $80K truck, the $5K warranty, and are now getting extra batteries and vehicle scanners to try and get a working product 😂😂. What in the world have we come to. When the guy below has only 200 miles before running into an issue, mine at 1,100 miles, something is wrong
Agreed! It happened to me at 263 miles and I always had anxiety every time I got into it — it’s hard to regain trust. Several other issues made me decide to cut my loses and buy a different brand.

No start situations on young vehicles are exceptionally rare. I’ve owned 9 cars and driven least 50 others over 25 years and never even considered that a properly maintained vehicle wouldn’t start.

The dealer got me in right away but wasn’t sympathetic and it took another several weeks of Deep Sleep and System Off messages for them to consider replacing the battery.

Abraham5G

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum BAP Star White EcoBoost
Have you tried to manually start the truck using the key slot method illustrated in the video below? I don't have a new F-150 so cannot confirm, but I am considering purchasing a new PowerBoost.

Sponsored

JMoney17$

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PowerBoost
I got the "stop safely now" prompt and the truck would not start this morning.

Purchased new at the end of February - 2023 Powerboost XLT. Approximately 3K miles. I have already replaced the Ford battery with a Duralast Platinum because I was concerned about battery drain. I had also increased the Charge setting in Forscan to 95%

I checked my battery and the Voltage had dropped into the 11 volt range. it had been in the 12.3's the day before which is obviously getting low. I had gone for a long 4+ hour drive 11 days prior but had probably only been driving about 30 minutes per day every day since.

I hooked the battery charger up and let it sit - At the beginning it said the battery was 48% charged. I used my 2001 Toyota Tacoma that had been sitting around for several weeks while the ford charged. The Toyota started right up!

I let the battery charge to 100%. The truck worked perfectly there after. No other warnings or codes.

This truck seems to have a serious battery drain! I hope there is a fix for this because I really like the truck otherwise.

Last edited:

charmai101

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 2nd "stop safely now" no start today. Is there any chance to bring a class action lawsuit again Ford over this issue? This no start issue can be very serious during emergency situation.

TheDIG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford F150 Lariat
I have a 2nd "stop safely now" no start today. Is there any chance to bring a class action lawsuit again Ford over this issue? This no start issue can be very serious during emergency situation.
There is another thread where the person actually found the issue causing their 'stop safely now' error. It was a connector underneath the battery missing a locking tab I think. Obviously may not be the same for you, but something to check for sure. Hard to tell how wide spread this issue is since forums are such a small fraction of the owner base.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Snakebitten is right, but you SHOULD BE right. With advances in microchips today and how easy it is to reuse code, nearly all of the complexity should be abstracted into a few very powerful chips with software updates to fix gremlins. Instead, we have "chip shortages" and unreliable systems. You can buy a 16 core/32 thread chip for $350......if the Apollo missions can reach the freaking moon on pre-solid state computers, the equivalent of a 1990s supercomputer should be able to handle everything.

The other huge issue is plastic, or more specifically the poor design choices that it allows. Plastic doesn't do well with thermal cycling, yet engine bays have never contained more plastic than they do today. The Powerboost takes this insanity to a new level by connecting the primary coolant loop to the exhaust system with.....plastic fittings. Ultimately, these atrocious engineering decisions aren't made because the engineers are stupid, but because we the consumers globally prefer "sparkly!!!!" to "reliable". If we demand and pay for stupid features rather than reliable cars, we will get stupid features instead of reliable cars. We have met the enemy and he is us.

Karytas80

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PB FX4
As I haven't had this issue with my 23 XLT PB(just passed 4500 miles) yet, I, first, regreted reading this thread that scared me and worried me about this issue. However, I kept reading everyone's input and I'm finally glad that I read them all. So much information about it and at least I will know what to try when it happens and I will deifnally give it a gas before I turn my truck off to charge the battery. Thanks everyone and hope everyone who has experienced the issue gets fixed their issues without any drama!
Sponsored