First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
My 2022 F150 had a small transmission oil leak in August.

2022 Transmission Oil Leak

Under warranty, the dealership replaced the transmission output shaft seal and the differential input shaft seal. The problem was straight forward to identify and the dealership did a great job. I verified a few times that there was no leak.

When driving late last week, I noticed the transmission behaving badly (rough down shifts and engine revving when shifting up). The transmission temperature never moved from the "normal operating temperature" point on the gauge. That went away after a period of time and has been shifting smoothly since. However, I decided to take off the skid plate and make sure everything looked as expected. I noticed a similar leak to what I previously saw, and it apparently had recently started. It seems to get progressively worse over time.

I dropped the truck off at the dealership today and they said the leak was coming from the transmission output shaft. Does it seem unusual that my truck would have a second leak? If the replacement seal is leaking, does that suggest that there is something more wrong than just the seal?

Other than this transmission leak, the truck has been great.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Under warranty, the dealership replaced the transmission output shaft seal and the differential input shaft seal. The problem was straight forward to identify and the dealership did a great job. I verified a few times that there was no leak.

When driving late last week, I noticed the transmission behaving badly (rough down shifts and engine revving when shifting up). The transmission temperature never moved from the "normal operating temperature" point on the gauge. That went away after a period of time and has been shifting smoothly since. However, I decided to take off the skid plate and make sure everything looked as expected. I noticed a similar leak to what I previously saw, and it apparently had recently started. It seems to get progressively worse over time.

I dropped the truck off at the dealership today and they said the leak was coming from the transmission output shaft. Does it seem unusual that my truck would have a second leak? If the replacement seal is leaking, does that suggest that there is something more wrong than just the seal?

Hi there, Chris. These transmission leak concerns doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP
PatchManager

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
See my signature for the configuration and build information. I now have 7,801 miles, drive very easy, have towed a small trailer three times, and hauled stuff around. Most of its miles have been commuting.

OP
OP
PatchManager

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
The dealership found that the transmission output shaft seal had come loose after the previous repair. That was quickly repaired late last week. However, after a few days of driving, the leak is back and a little worse than it was before the repair. At this point, the leak is small enough that it only drips a few drops on the ground after driving it and letting it sit overnight. The majority of the leaking seems to occur while driving.

Sponsored

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0 401A
Occupation
Full-Stack Software Engineer

Sorry to hear about that. Unrelated: I recently encountered an engine oil leak from the oil-pan and/or rear-main seal that was fixed and reoccurred on the same day of retrieval from the dealer.

Leaks are the worst. Hope you can get it fixed!

OP
OP
PatchManager

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Sorry to hear about that. Unrelated: I recently encountered an engine oil leak from the oil-pan and/or rear-main seal that was fixed and reoccurred on the same day of retrieval from the dealer.

Leaks are the worst. Hope you can get it fixed!
Leaks are terrible. At least they can't say that it is normal. I hope you get yours fixed soon as well.

OP
OP
PatchManager

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Last week the truck went back to the dealership and they found that the transmission output shaft seal was leaking again due to a crack in the seal. Since the seal was replaced, there have been no more leaks. I will be traveling with it over the holidays, so that should be a decent test as to whether it is fixed.
Sponsored