Sponsored

2021 PB FX4 suspension upgrade? Looking for less bouncy but still smooth ride on road

Larryfl1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have a 21 PB fx4 that I find very bouncy floaty at times especially turning and entering/exiting parking lots etc…

truck is exclusively used on road and looking to change shocks and/or springs to provide a better less bouncy/rolling ride…. But I don’t want to compromise on highway driving…overall it currently drives well on highway other then when it gets dips as it bounces up and down on those…

I see a few options out there …. What is the recommendations from others that have changed?
Sponsored

Ctimrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I would recommend Bilstein 5100’s set at stock height if you don’t want to level. I had an F150 setup like this and the ride was much more controlled/settled and corrected exactly what you are describing.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I would recommend Bilstein 5100’s set at stock height if you don’t want to level. I had an F150 setup like this and the ride was much more controlled/settled and corrected exactly what you are describing.
Would it make sense to go with the Bilsteins on the rear only? I notice a bit of bounce in the rear but the front is fine. I am also a stock FX4 and will remain that way.

Last edited:

Ctimrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Would it make sense to go with the Bilsteins On the rear only? I notice a bit of bounce in the rear but the front is fine. I am also a stock FX4 and will remain that way.
I have read that putting 5100’s on the rear only made a significant difference for those who swapped the rears out. Definitely worth trying as this is the cheapest and simplest way to make some improvement.

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4WD
I did my swap for the same issue you’re having with boaty ride. I wanted to level as well so went with the Fox 2.0 tuned by Ford Performance kit with 550 lb springs. It rides much better and the boaty feeling is gone. Still great ride on the highway.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
By far the least expensive way to address that terribly underdamped leafpak on an Oem F150 is one of the Bilstein options. The rear axle/contact patch will definitely gain noticeable composure.

Then you can progress from there.
Lots of good components available to dial in that Powerboost where you still have a wonderful ride for a truck, but also much improved chassis dynamics.

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
By far the least expensive way to address that terribly underdamped leafpak on an Oem F150 is one of the Bilstein options. The rear axle/contact patch will definitely gain noticeable composure.
Great. Now I need rear shocks too. 😆 For $110ish per side, I may just do it.

You're a bad influence..

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You are supposed to know better than to listen to me. :)

Bendecki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
future F-150
I just did a full suspension swap with Eibach. I did the install over a couple of days due to lack of time, but, after replacing the rear suspension, it definitely made a noticeable difference but didn't fix how bouncy the front is was, which in turn was still rocking the entire truck. I just put the coilovers on yesterday, and it is a significant improvement. Even with the updated rear suspension, if I hit any uneven/broken road, the truck would still bounce like crazy, but now I have the Eibach's on front and back, it definitely made a world of difference. Much more controlled, it absorbs large bounces well, and definitely a different truck.

The ride is a little stiffer than I would like right now, but the suspension needs time to break in, and the lift setting on the coilovers is set to max currently. I might drop the front end down an inch to see if it makes a difference after everything has a chance to settle in.

Overall, I would definitely recommend replacing the front coilovers as well. I legitimately hated the FX4 suspension, and I will never get it again. Replacing the rears helped, but doing the front coilovers is definitely the part that took the truck from being "OK" to "alright now this is a solid ride".

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I had the dealer put a Bilstein 6112 (front) and 5160 (rear) kit on my 2021 Powerboost shortbed and it markedly improved the dampening, but the rear was still unsettled at times.. I more recently added Roadmaster RAS springs and it has really helped with small bump compliance and body roll. The combo seems to work great for me. I like to drive spirited on rough roads and was bottoming out the suspension before the strut/shock combo; its much more tolerant to small and larger higher speed hits now

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
I have a 21 PB fx4 that I find very bouncy floaty at times especially turning and entering/exiting parking lots etc…

truck is exclusively used on road and looking to change shocks and/or springs to provide a better less bouncy/rolling ride…. But I don’t want to compromise on highway driving…overall it currently drives well on highway other then when it gets dips as it bounces up and down on those…

I see a few options out there …. What is the recommendations from others that have changed?
What tires do you have?

Our Powerboost came with the Goodyear Wranglers and I am impressed with the ride and handling.