Sponsored

Suspension lift kit impact on final ride height (FX4)

Visier

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Product Management
I'm looking at doing a lift and level to get a little more clearance for off-road driving. I have an XLT with the FX4 sport package.

Currently at stock, the rear is as high as I would ever want it. The rail of the bed comes up to chin level on me, yet the front end is very low. Of course a leveling kit would iron that out, but I'd rather go with a ground-up fix that will also give me some additional off-road capabilities and ride comfort.

I'm looking at the BDS 4" coilover lift and trying to figure out if it will work. What I am wondering is:
  1. Does the lift add onto the FX4 height, or the base ride height? So if the FX4 package already adds 2" (I'm having trouble finding what it actually does add), does the 4" lift only cover the difference?
  2. Does the lift only increase the front end the full amount, with the rear effectively receiving ~ 2" lift to reach level?
  3. What is the final height with the 4" lift and 35" tires?
I'd really like to see one of the FX4 2021s with the 4" BDS kit in person, or with a really good, non-distorted image to help me get a better idea of the height impact, both from a parking standpoint (if I can go in a standard parking garage), and a family standpoint (my kids are small and have trouble climbing in already). If the actual height increase is only a couple inches in the rear, then it should only be a couple inches total, which should work.

Trying to make a $5,000 decision on a kit like this without being able to see it in person is tough. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Sponsored

Pinero

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport 5.0 SCREW FX4
Occupation
High Voltage Technician
The BDS lift will lift your front close to 4” and the rear 1.5”. Also, the bracket style lifts will not change front ground clearance much, as the bracket will hang close to where the factory cross member was located. Going up in tire size will be the only way to increase ground clearance with a bracket lift.

If you’re not wanting to lift the rear and also gain front ground clearance, I’d suggest a fox or Icon coilover kit. It will clear 35x12.50’s on the correct wheel, but most people opt to run ~34x11.50 tires. Total front lift will be in the neighborhood of 2.5”

OP
OP
Visier

Visier

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Product Management
The BDS lift will lift your front close to 4” and the rear 1.5”. Also, the bracket style lifts will not change front ground clearance much, as the bracket will hang close to where the factory cross member was located. Going up in tire size will be the only way to increase ground clearance with a bracket lift.

If you’re not wanting to lift the rear and also gain front ground clearance, I’d suggest a fox or Icon coilover kit. It will clear 35x12.50’s on the correct wheel, but most people opt to run ~34x11.50 tires. Total front lift will be in the neighborhood of 2.5”
Thanks for all the info! At ~1.5” only in the rear, it should work for what I’m after.

Regarding clearance, I would still gain a bit on the approach angle which would help a bit, before going up a tire size which I probably will do but perhaps not immediately.

I was looking at the BDS CO kit with the fox struts and shocks. I don’t see the point in paying to install such a complex kit to just use 4” spacers in the front and lose all that potential for extra travel. Strange to me it’s even an option.
Sponsored