First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
Does anyone see an issue here? I installed this thing according to the instructions and it’s working the opposite way it’s supposed to. My tailgate still drops without assistance while it’s difficult to put up as I’m figuring the strut. I tried flipping the strut and it’s doing the same thing. Dealer I bought it from is closed today…

Ford F-150 2021 Ford tailgate damper issue 7D5CDE63-1BF9-409E-B483-FB65DFD7A6C2
Sponsored

Last edited:

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The damper works the same mounted in either direction. The actuation arm must not be in the right position. See if you can clock it differently. I've installed 2 or 3 of those and they worked perfectly.

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
Unfortunately I can’t change the actuator arm because then the slot in the arm won’t line up with the tailgate when I try and reinstall it

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Could the bracket on the tailgate be upside down. Can it be move to the top of the pivot point verses the bottom? The would reverse how the shock works.

EDIT: Just watched a Youtub video, the lower end of the shock is to be down when the tailgate is closed, and comes up when opening.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
I’m wondering if the shock I got is defective or incorrect. I took it all apart again and there is no other way this can go. I’ll just return it to the dealership

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Does anyone see an issue here? I installed this thing according to the instructions and it’s working the opposite way it’s supposed to. My tailgate still drops without assistance while it’s difficult to put up as I’m figuring the strut. I tried flipping the strut and it’s doing the same thing. Dealer I bought it from is closed today…

7D5CDE63-1BF9-409E-B483-FB65DFD7A6C2.jpeg
Hi there! send a private message to us with your VIN and the name & location of your Ford dealership, along with some more details about your situation. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!
Sponsored