2021 F150 Powerboost "Coolant overheating" error

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
No sir. It's still a standard 3.5 Ecoboost motor with the Ecoboost belt driven waterpump.

I know several fellas that dream of the Ecoboost having an electric water pump because then it WOULD be possible to increase the ability to shed heat when necessary.

There is an electric water pump for the Hybrid cooling loop however. And I believe a small one in the HVAC portion of the main coolant loop to assist in cabin warming.
Sponsored

OP
OP

VAS

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
FYI: It was mentioned on another forum that the Powerboost trucks (mine) have 2 temperature gauges "in one". Supposedly there are two seperate coolants. If the motor coolant if overheating it will read on the gauge. If the electric motor coolant is overheating it gives warnings and changes color of symbol. If this is true, my "electric motor coolant" was overheating. I need to learn more about this....

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
FYI: It was mentioned on another forum that the Powerboost trucks (mine) have 2 temperature gauges "in one". Supposedly there are two seperate coolants. If the motor coolant if overheating it will read on the gauge. If the electric motor coolant is overheating it gives warnings and changes color of symbol. If this is true, my "electric motor coolant" was overheating. I need to learn more about this....
Interesting!
And not surprising that the instrument panel can render warnings related to "temperature", yet NOT be pertaining to the engine coolant loop.

Afterall there are separate DTC codes in the PCM for the Hybrid cooling components.

I'll see if the service manual has a good section related.

Reactions: VAS
OP
OP

VAS

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Hi all, here's a status update. We completed our 2nd RV tow - first actual camping trip.

I finally figured out how to lock out the higher gears. It was super easy to do... but extremely hard to find out how to do it. My local Ford dealership couldn't tell me how to do it, (ridiculous really). I couldn't find a video online. My son finally found a reference in the manual, searched on that, and found a video. So, I locked out 8, 9, and 10. Trip was 2 hours total. Drove 30 minutes then turned on the AC as we got on the highway. Drove the last 90 minutes with it on and no issues! Very happy.

When coming home I changed it up. Locked out only 9 and 10. Turned the AC on 10 minutes into the trip and again, drove the whole way home with no issues! Extremely happy. Locking out 9 and 10 will be my mode of operation moving forward, as long as no heating issues arise.

FYI: My MPG went down a half gallon on the drive to our destination. We loaded up the RV with stuff for the trip, so estimated it's more like 9000 lbs now. Was only down about 2/10ths on the drive home, (all the holding tanks were empty). Going to get it weighed before our next outing. But definitely less MPG for this latest pull.

Did not get a chance to try Forscan yet, but I definitely will soon.

Again, THANKS SO MUCH for the comments and suggestions!! I am VERY happy now with the performance of the truck in pulling the camper.

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
I wish no truck malady on anyone, regardless of make or model. But purchasing any of them doesn't exempt you from potential issues.
This post is a little old but from my research it is the electric traction motor for hybrid. That's why your temp gauge does not show also why it shuts down pro power. From what I have gleaned the truck will shut down hybrid operation stopping the issue. The problem is the the operator does not know this because the red icon wont go away until restart. I think m ost of the issue is conveyance of info but the truck does do what it needs to to protect itself. Another gauge for hybrid motor would be nice I mean they are monitoring it so it would be easy. Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored

OP
OP

VAS

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
This post is a little old but from my research it is the electric traction motor for hybrid. That's why your temp gauge does not show also why it shuts down pro power. From what I have gleaned the truck will shut down hybrid operation stopping the issue. The problem is the the operator does not know this because the red icon wont go away until restart. I think m ost of the issue is conveyance of info but the truck does do what it needs to to protect itself. Another gauge for hybrid motor would be nice I mean they are monitoring it so it would be easy. Hope that makes sense.
Correct, it's the electric motor coolant warning, (vs the engine coolant warning). I've since learned that the PB dash gauge is a "2 in 1 gauge", since it has two coolant reservoirs. If engine coolant gets hot, the "blue arc" will move to the right, and an actual temperature reading will appear if it gets to a certain temp. (I don't know what that threshold temp is). There's a Forscan hack that will display the temp at all times. Conversely, if the electric motor coolant gets hot, you see the message displayed, and the little temp symbol turns red. Good to know that the engine is smart enough to protect itself... very "cool". LOL And yes, would be less confusing if they were seperate gauges.

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
Correct, it's the electric motor coolant warning, (vs the engine coolant warning). I've since learned that the PB dash gauge is a "2 in 1 gauge", since it has two coolant reservoirs. If engine coolant gets hot, the "blue arc" will move to the right, and an actual temperature reading will appear if it gets to a certain temp. (I don't know what that threshold temp is). There's a Forscan hack that will display the temp at all times. Conversely, if the electric motor coolant gets hot, you see the message displayed, and the little temp symbol turns red. Good to know that the engine is smart enough to protect itself... very "cool". LOL And yes, would be less confusing if they were seperate gauges.
A little silly we had to figure this out ourselves.

Blueonblue

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT Contractor
I can confirm this is the Hybrid system overheating. Was telling my trailer home today and down a hill was trying to see how far I could get on hybrid power and using the Regen as a sort of engine brake. Essentially riding the EV coach gauge all the way to the edge all the way down a steep grade. When I got near the bottom I got the warning. No lack in power just no hybrid assistance. Switched into tow/haul and restarted the truck when I stopped at the bottom. I found a TSB that said engineering is aware and is working on a fix for the "dual gauge" it's for 2021 but with fords typical timeline I doubt it has been a priority

Ford F-150 2021 F150 Powerboost "Coolant overheating" error Screenshot_20230616-174346
Sponsored