Sponsored

Alternator part number for 2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost?

ESG406

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21F150 Hyb, 15ExpEL 2 '06 Esc Hyb 99&01elect Rngrs
Occupation
Retired
Even with all the technical data I have, I am unable to find the part number and specs for the alternator on my 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost Hybrid.
Does anyone know or know where to find this information?
I am also interested in learning specs for a vehicle with the Snowplow prep/package.
Thanks,
Ed
Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Even with all the technical data I have, I am unable to find the part number and specs for the alternator on my 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost Hybrid.
I am also interested in learning specs for a vehicle with the Snowplow prep/package.
Thanks,
Ed
Powerboosts don’t have alternators. Perhaps this discussion from the shop manual will help:

The DCDC is a liquid cooled component that converts high-voltage DC power from the high voltage battery to low-voltage (12 volts) DC power. The DCDC charges the 12-volt battery through the low-voltage battery cables and powers the low-voltage electrical system, this eliminates the need for a conventional engine-driven alternator. The DCDC communicates with other modules over the HS-CAN1 . The DCDC is serviceable and located in the engine compartment under the 12V Battery in front of the RH shock tower.

OP
OP
ESG406

ESG406

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21F150 Hyb, 15ExpEL 2 '06 Esc Hyb 99&01elect Rngrs
Occupation
Retired
Powerboosts don’t have alternators. Perhaps this discussion from the shop manual will help:

The DCDC is a liquid cooled component that converts high-voltage DC power from the high voltage battery to low-voltage (12 volts) DC power. The DCDC charges the 12-volt battery through the low-voltage battery cables and powers the low-voltage electrical system, this eliminates the need for a conventional engine-driven alternator. The DCDC communicates with other modules over the HS-CAN1 . The DCDC is serviceable and located in the engine compartment under the 12V Battery in front of the RH shock tower.
Thank you for this info. I also found this interesting post from a year ago
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/belt-driven-starter.4781/

Earlier today, I talked with a dealer parts department. He had time to look up the starter/alternator for my truck. He confirmed the P/N is ML3Z11A213A and then he said,"That's strange, there are no specs available." Another source said his starter/alternator had a 270 amp tag on it. I am beginning to think that may be a correct assumption to make for my truck.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Thank you for this info. I also found this interesting post from a year ago
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/belt-driven-starter.4781/

Earlier today, I talked with a dealer parts department. He had time to look up the starter/alternator for my truck. He confirmed the P/N is ML3Z11A213A and then he said,"That's strange, there are no specs available." Another source said his starter/alternator had a 270 amp tag on it. I am beginning to think that may be a correct assumption to make for my truck.
Fair enough. But be careful relying on older discussions. There was much confusion about how the hybrid operated early on (and a lot of speculation from guys who didn’t own one). And dealers don’t seem to be a lot more knowledgeable. There is probably a really good reason why your dealer couldn’t find specs and I suspect he was looking at an alternator for an Ecoboost which uses the same motor.

Anyway, here is another snippet from the shop manual which may or may not be of help. It seems to confirm that the DCDC converter takes the place of of a conventional alternator and its output tops out at about 220 amps, at which point the aux battery provides supplemental power:

Hybrid Vehicles

Hybrid vehicles utilize the main engine compartment battery and an additional 8Ah auxiliary battery. Just like the gasoline vehicles, the main engine compartment battery has a BMS that is attached to the negative side of the battery cable. The auxiliary battery provides support for transient electrical loads that occur during a crank event when the main engine compartment battery is isolated from the rest of the vehicle and unable to provide transient support. The auxiliary battery transient support is only needed if the DC/DC 12 volt output is at or near full capacity (220A). The auxiliary battery is located in the rear compartment, on the LH side of the vehicle. An auxiliary battery isolator, which is located above the main engine compartment battery, uses a LIN to supply diagnostics to the PCM . The auxiliary battery isolator receives a PWM signal from the PCM commanding the auxiliary battery isolator to open and close. During a cranking event the PCM request the auxiliary battery isolator to open, disconnecting the cranking main engine compartment battery, starter, and starter generator from the 12 volt bus. The rest of the vehicle's electrical architecture does not detect the low-voltage transient caused by engine cranking. A battery current sensor is attached to the auxiliary battery negative battery cable. For description of these components, Refer to: High Voltage Battery, Mounting and Cables - System Operation and Component Description (414-03 High Voltage Battery, Mounting and Cables, Description and Operation) .

Jeckyll

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Thanks,
Ed
MLlo