Sponsored

didiasku

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Shelby Off Road
thought I'd tinker a bit...I tried enabling the side mirror reverse tilt and now having issue

1) when selecting the left or right mirror while in reverse, they tilt down, but the left mirror keeps trying to pan down indefinitely while the right mirror tries to pan right indefinitely (clicking mirror noise)

2) so i thought ok, this isn't going to work, I changed back the APIM and IPC settings to the original (no tilt)

3) ive power cycled and now if I'm in reverse and select a mirror, it continues to do the erroneous behavior.

Not a huge issue as I have no reason to select a side mirror in reverse (without reverse tilt working) however, I am curious as to why configuring these 2 settings back to their defaults, the mirrors still operate as if "reverse tilt" is enabled.

thoughts/help?

Problem solved...had to enable reverse mirror tilt on APIM, go to settings, then mirror, then turn off reverse mirror tilt.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mhoffman54

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT (302A), 2016 Harley Davidson Sports
Occupation
Car Sales Consultant
The system works basically the same way noise canceling works, but rather than suppressing noise they are accentuating certain notes. Since each of the engines have a different “natural“ sound, there are differences in what needs to be suppressed and accentuated to create the V8 sound.

Using a different calibration will change how it sounds. You will have to experiment to see if it sounds better or worse.
Interesting! Now I want to play with it!

mhoffman54

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Car Sales Consultant
I think that X with arrows on the screen will make it full screen and get rid of the sidebar.
Only for nav. What I'd REALLY like to be able to make full screen is Android Auto.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502A | 3.5L PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Admin | Software Developer
You need to update the IPMA. FDRS Only cant be done with USB like other modules. Takes 4-8 hours. The update will allow for the IPMA to display in motion. The update will NOT allow the cargo cam to be full screen or to display on side card.
Thanks... You basically confirmed all my suspicions.
Do you know the calibration version required for the IPMA?
I recently updated mine with FRDS.

Code:
IPMA - Image Processing Module A
Part number: ML3T-14G647-FK
Calibration level: ML3T-14G647-FK
Strategy : ML3T-14H102-ACA
Calibration: ML3T-14H103-AAF
I'm pretty sure that once ford releases the next power-up for the APIM (post 1.7.1) that we will hopefully be able to use the cams in motion.

mhoffman54

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Car Sales Consultant

Code:
I'm pretty sure that once ford releases the next power-up for the APIM (post 1.7.1) that we will hopefully be able to use the cams in motion.
I have 2.1.0. No cams in motion.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

Code:
Hi, I will try and get them off of mine but there has been a total of 2 IPMA updates. he first IPMA update resolved a clarity/Resolution issue with the camera system. The second was not specific to the camera in motion but that was included. Also if you have the latest update and still do not have motion you will need to adjust as built in the APIM as well. I used a 21.5 as a guide. You could maybe use the forscan dropdown style configuration also to adjust yours to remove the speed limits. I just found it easier the way I went with it since I knew the speed restrictions were resolved in those truck.

Unfortunately the IPMA will likely not get OTA for these updates as they are so large and can cause too many issues if they do not complete. Since the IPMA controls so much of the vehicle. It is one of the most important modules in the Truck. If you look at the operation charts for the 2021 almost all runs through it. If it were to fail during an update it would be a big problem for ford and this update is huge. I do understand a portion of the time required for the update is due to the Canbus data speed limitations but the update took me 6 hours or so on a 360 cam IPMA. Could be less for the rear cam.

My understanding(Could be wrong) The ethernet is only for OTA, the gateway downloads the update(8GB limit) and then transfers the update through ethernet to the module. Modules with Ethernet. APIM, TCU, IPMA(If Update is Small enough), Gateway(Some that have an early build that have not received OTAs as of now need to have the dealer manually update their Gateway as it was the issues causing OTAs to not work), IPC, B&O Amp. Again I could be wrong but its what I understand since the ethernet has a much higher data transfer speed.

I have received all the power up updates including the latest 2.1.1 and prior the 2.1.0 and neither address the IPMA. The 1.7 was an APIM update to 21146. I did that one manually though, I was to anxious to wait.

The 1.7 power up was to get the APIM to build 21146 for 21 builds. The 1.6 was a gateway update. I cant say what the prior one was. I believe it was a TCU(Telematic Module) update to improve responsiveness.

There are several updates available for early 21 builds that are dealer visit required. I would suggest to those of you that have not gone to a dealer or have FDRS access to log in and get all of those done and I believe that will help with those of you not receiving OTA. I am receiving OTAs and my truck is so far from stock its hilarious when I get in and see a successful update.

One Note to those with a APIM build previous to 21146. 21146 will not even show in FDRS until the Gateway update is completed, If you have a truck that has not received any updates I would suggest strongly you be the ones to go get your truck fully updated. A lot of the updates depend upon other updates being there.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rambling post, I just got on and am going freestyle. I am trying to help as best I can. I know it can be frustrating to not have updates others are getting but I really suggest you follow the advice I gave to get the updates done. I think once you do that you'll be ready to start receiving updates.

Also be careful when comparing to 21.5 trucks for as build date. They are different and some do not have the start stop they removed it so they can ship them faster.

Side note any of those with a July build that can not activate Fordpass you need to go to the dealer for a gateway reconfigure. There is a TSB/SSM/GSM about it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Fantastic post.
Again, this is far more complex than the concept of OTA updates is in the average consumer's mind.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
weird. My APIM software is now showing 21146 Rev 145, but it did not show that until the PU 2.1.0 update completed. Keep us posted, this is great info.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
weird. My APIM software is now showing 21146 Rev 145, but it did not show that until the PU 2.1.0 update completed. Keep us posted, this is great info.
One thing that this could be.. and it is so strange. I manually update APIMS on my bench. WHen I was first doing them the update would say complete and I would do the required restart to complete the update but the build would not change . I would think the APIM didnt take it even though it said it did. Well what happened I then did a longer ignition cycle and then the apim rebooted about 2-3 times and then it showed the update. It seems strange enough that the update sometimes does not show right away. It was frustrating on the bench. Until I kinda figured it out. So maybe just maybe the update had been completed in your truck previously but didnnt reflect until the next ota because the power cycle or something. Not stating as fact but just based off the things Ive seen in messing with them on my bench. I have seen one I did update not update supposedly only to next time I plugged it in a few days later to show updated.

The TSB that is about the APIM update says to leave the door open and leave the ignition off for ten minutes at min for the second part of the update to kick off. Again just a thought. 21146 is a update they released in conjunction with TSB 21-2310

Or they could have sent it out with 2.1.0 as well I just cant say for sure We would have to hear from others that pay attention to these things.. I just know that I recieved 2.1.0 and I had 21146 already it was released in October with the above TSB. I do know for sure though the Gateway has to be fully up to date for the 21146 update to be available. It is stated in the TSB. I can post it if that is allowed. I dont know what the rules are

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
One thing that this could be.. and it is so strange. I manually update APIMS on my bench. WHen I was first doing them the update would say complete and I would do the required restart to complete the update but the build would not change . I would think the APIM didnt take it even though it said it did. Well what happened I then did a longer ignition cycle and then the apim rebooted about 2-3 times and then it showed the update. It seems strange enough that the update sometimes does not show right away. It was frustrating on the bench. Until I kinda figured it out. So maybe just maybe the update had been completed in your truck previously but didnnt reflect until the next ota because the power cycle or something. Not stating as fact but just based off the things Ive seen in messing with them on my bench. I have seen one I did update not update supposedly only to next time I plugged it in a few days later to show updated.

The TSB that is about the APIM update says to leave the door open and leave the ignition off for ten minutes at min for the second part of the update to kick off. Again just a thought. 21146 is a update they released in conjunction with TSB 21-2310
That sounds really plausible as my truck sits in the garage most of the time. I just happened to drive it today, and noticed the APIM software had updated. I theoretically could have 2 OTA updates go through and only cycled power in the truck once or twice.

Sponsored

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-150 Platinum | '22 F-350 S/D Tremor
Occupation
Firefighter

Code:
Can confirm the Ford Power-

I like how Ford is trying to be innovative with the Sync 4 OTAs but it’s getting annoying + frustrating when most people aren’t getting the up to date softwares. Even myself just got the 1.6.1 and the 1.4.0 and my other friend still hasn’t received it yet.. it’s crazy.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Can confirm the Ford Power-

I like how Ford is trying to be innovative with the Sync 4 OTAs but it’s getting annoying + frustrating when most people aren’t getting the up to date softwares. Even myself just got the 1.6.1 and the 1.4.0 and my other friend still hasn’t received it yet.. it’s crazy.
I know it is frustrating. I am not going to defend them but it can happen. It is new to them. I would suggest you go get your truck fully updated at the dealer and I believe that would put you on track for the future updates. The gateway update has to be done. The gateway is THE most important module in this system for updates.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hi, I will try and get them off of mine but there has been a total of 2 IPMA updates. he first IPMA update resolved a clarity/Resolution issue with the camera system. The second was not specific to the camera in motion but that was included. Also if you have the latest update and still do not have motion you will need to adjust as built in the APIM as well. I used a 21.5 as a guide. You could maybe use the forscan dropdown style configuration also to adjust yours to remove the speed limits. I just found it easier the way I went with it since I knew the speed restrictions were resolved in those truck.

Unfortunately the IPMA will likely not get OTA for these updates as they are so large and can cause too many issues if they do not complete. Since the IPMA controls so much of the vehicle. It is one of the most important modules in the Truck. If you look at the operation charts for the 2021 almost all runs through it. If it were to fail during an update it would be a big problem for ford and this update is huge. I do understand a portion of the time required for the update is due to the Canbus data speed limitations but the update took me 6 hours or so on a 360 cam IPMA. Could be less for the rear cam.

My understanding(Could be wrong) The ethernet is only for OTA, the gateway downloads the update(8GB limit) and then transfers the update through ethernet to the module. Modules with Ethernet. APIM, TCU, IPMA(If Update is Small enough), Gateway(Some that have an early build that have not received OTAs as of now need to have the dealer manually update their Gateway as it was the issues causing OTAs to not work), IPC, B&O Amp. Again I could be wrong but its what I understand since the ethernet has a much higher data transfer speed.

I have received all the power up updates including the latest 2.1.1 and prior the 2.1.0 and neither address the IPMA. The 1.7 was an APIM update to 21146. I did that one manually though, I was to anxious to wait.

The 1.7 power up was to get the APIM to build 21146 for 21 builds. The 1.6 was a gateway update. I cant say what the prior one was. I believe it was a TCU(Telematic Module) update to improve responsiveness.

There are several updates available for early 21 builds that are dealer visit required. I would suggest to those of you that have not gone to a dealer or have FDRS access to log in and get all of those done and I believe that will help with those of you not receiving OTA. I am receiving OTAs and my truck is so far from stock its hilarious when I get in and see a successful update.

One Note to those with a APIM build previous to 21146. 21146 will not even show in FDRS until the Gateway update is completed, If you have a truck that has not received any updates I would suggest strongly you be the ones to go get your truck fully updated. A lot of the updates depend upon other updates being there.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rambling post, I just got on and am going freestyle. I am trying to help as best I can. I know it can be frustrating to not have updates others are getting but I really suggest you follow the advice I gave to get the updates done. I think once you do that you'll be ready to start receiving updates.

Also be careful when comparing to 21.5 trucks for as build date. They are different and some do not have the start stop they removed it so they can ship them faster.

Side note any of those with a July build that can not activate Fordpass you need to go to the dealer for a gateway reconfigure. There is a TSB/SSM/GSM about it.
A) how the heck do you know all of this...great info

B) what you're describing really feels like why the older trucks aren't getting bluecruise. They shipped them with APIMs that can't do it, and they're struggling to get OTA updates to work on the older APIMs....

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
A) how the heck do you know all of this...great info

B) what you're describing really feels like why the older trucks aren't getting bluecruise. They shipped them with APIMs that can't do it, and they're struggling to get OTA updates to work on the older APIMs....
A - Its just me having a job that allows me to spend all day with these trucks and Ford Products. Plus I have a 2021 STX that is now a lariat. I have done everything you can imagine. I did the 8" to 12" upgrade, I even made it passive entry with push to start, Fixed DSS LED headlamps(Fully Functioning) upgrading to the Adaptive DSS LED soon(Waiting on the height sensors), Wireless charging, rain sensing wipers, 360 Cam, Digital Cluster, Rear Brake assist, Bliss, Power Fold mirrors, Will be adding Adaptive cruise with the hopes of getting Blue Cruise added also. Ive aded the auto dim rear view and side view. Will be adding B&O system and power running boards. I would have added power tailgate but it requires new tailgate. That will be last If I do it.

B - Your Apim is identical to the ones being shipped now. I can confirm this to be true. THe software build 21146 is limited to 21 trucks and 21223 is 21.5 trucks. The modules are different starting in July. The Apim is not one of those that is different though. I have confirmed I can install the 21.5 software on a APIM from early builds.

I believe the blue cruise will be sent out but I do want everyone that has not had any updates to please heed my warning to go get the dealer to update your truck ASAP. A lot of these updates that are rolling out have a prerequisite of the previous updates being installed.

The best thing you can do is get your truck fully updated now. There were MANY updates for early build trucks for modules that I believe to be not OTA capable.

These updates are very clear for the dealer in FDRS> There is a tab after they hook up that will list all the modules that need to be updated. It is clear for them. The IDS way required them to go into every module and see if an update was available.

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
A - Its just me having a job that allows me to spend all day with these trucks and Ford Products. Plus I have a 2021 STX that is now a lariat. I have done everything you can imagine. I did the 8" to 12" upgrade, I even made it passive entry with push to start, Fixed DSS LED headlamps(Fully Functioning) upgrading to the Adaptive DSS LED soon(Waiting on the height sensors), Wireless charging, rain sensing wipers, 360 Cam, Digital Cluster, Rear Brake assist, Bliss, Power Fold mirrors, Will be adding Adaptive cruise with the hopes of getting Blue Cruise added also. Ive aded the auto dim rear view and side view. Will be adding B&O system and power running boards. I would have added power tailgate but it requires new tailgate. That will be last If I do it.

B - Your Apim is identical to the ones being shipped now. I can confirm this to be true. THe software build 21146 is limited to 21 trucks and 21223 is 21.5 trucks. The modules are different starting in July. The Apim is not one of those that is different though. I have confirmed I can install the 21.5 software on a APIM from early builds.

I believe the blue cruise will be sent out but I do want everyone that has not had any updates to please heed my warning to go get the dealer to update your truck ASAP. A lot of these updates that are rolling out have a prerequisite of the previous updates being installed.

The best thing you can do is get your truck fully updated now. There were MANY updates for early build trucks for modules that I believe to be not OTA capable.

These updates are very clear for the dealer in FDRS> There is a tab after they hook up that will list all the modules that need to be updated. It is clear for them. The IDS way required them to go into every module and see if an update was available.
You sir are amazing! Most people wouldn’t go through the trouble of adding all the items you have. Nice to know there are still a lot of tinkerers out there.

Are you able to check a VIN and see if there are any issues with the OTA status or module versions/calibrations? Mine I believe is stuck on an update after 1.6 and FORD has been no help when trying to understand the issues.

My VIN is: 1FTFW1ED0MFB66211
Sponsored