Sponsored

Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper

21lariatspprt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I think that this information has been given throughout the thread but this chart shows the correct bezels for the listed bumper caps.
Tremor bumper conversion.png
Yeah, that bumper part number is for trucks which have automated parking, which is very high end trim playinum or higher) which has 6 total sensors in rear bumper.

Most of us Lariat or lower folks need the tremor rear bumper with a total of 4 rear sensors... Thats part ML3Z-17906-KAPTM...

Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper PXL_20230807_200936333
Sponsored

aribelin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
Occupation
retired
Great chart, one note, there are two different bumper options. One with 6 total sensors and one with 4 total sensors.
The one in the chart would be the bumper with 6 sensors, 2 of them are in the black area and don't get changed.

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I think that this information has been given throughout the thread but this chart shows the correct bezels for the listed bumper caps.
Tremor bumper conversion.png
Great chart!

Owners with only reverse sensors, use part number ML3Z-17906-KAPTM for the bumper ends.

aribelin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
Occupation
retired
A big shout out to Borla customer service! They responded first thing today, wanting copy of my receipt and photos which I sent them right away. They responded quickly with some suggestions but said that my truck looked pretty much like their test truck (which he sent a couple photos). I then sent them a screen grab of the product video showing the difference from what I had expected.

His next reply was somewhat humorous as he sent me a link to the video that I had captured, the only problem was that it was a Corsa video, not one from Borla. Man did I feel foolish. He did, however, suggest a few things that would get my tips further back.

My next-door neighbor also send me a photo of the factory exhaust on his Tremor which showed it even farther inside the bumper as were the tips on his new Raptor.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
All done. I wanted to stay OEM as much as possible. At one point I was about to give up and go aftermarket because I couldn't find any take-off Raptor/Tremor/Rattler muffler or tail pipes that weren't cut up, damaged during removal or over priced. I could order them, but they always are on backorder. Then one day out of the blue some one on this forum reached out to me offering their Tremor exhaust system - @Cranbery thank you man!

It turned out great, the install was tricky laying on my garage floor :) It took around 2 /2.5 hours is all. All bolt on and aligned just like the factory. Big difference in sound vs my original single side exhaust. Clearly there is a difference between the single and dual exist mufflers. A deep mellow tone at startup, idle and accelerating, unnoticeable at cruising speed, no drone. Looks great. Looks factory. Sounds tough without being loud. The Tremor take-off is from a 3.5 EB and I have a 5.0L. Research says the muffler and tail pipes are the same for each engine though. I'm not sure about the resonator, I reused mine on my 5.0 but a tape measure says they are the same.

A couple of gotchas that I ran into. Squirt some WD40 or the like on the rubber hangers. Support the mid pipe just after the resonator. I used a racket strap, not tight, but just tight enough to support it. I wanted to keep my original exhaust in tact. With that in mind, you have to remove the front and rear muffler hangers from the frame (hence the reason for the ratchet strap). In order to remove the muffler, you need to twist it a little to "unlock" it from the mid pipe. As you do that the tail pipe will want to go up towards the body, so protect the body/paint with blue tape or something. Now wiggle and pull on the muffler to disconnect it from the mid pipe. Be ready to catch the muffler, you don't want the tail pipe to bang into the truck body/paint. It sounds difficult, maybe it is, but mine pulled right out, on my back, in 108* Texas heat :) The hard part is actually trying to remove the twisted tail pipe and muffler assembly, over the axle. Believe me, I almost said <you know what> and just cut the tail pipe off, but I didn't. I ended up putting 4-2x12x12 stacked under the rear tires. That provided enough lift to remove the muffler/tail pipe forward over the axle and out. Take your time, I can't stress that enough, the tail pipe likes to hit things on the way out as you wrestle with the muffler. Next, the bumper bracket that goes over the tail pipe tip goes between the painted bumper end and the hitch assembly. The first time I attached that bracket to the truck side of the hitch, but that's wrong. The hole on the outside end of the bracket didn't line up with the bumper end properly. I could see the end of the bumper was not aligned with the tail gate. The tail pipe tips are painted from the factory. Fortunately, the tips remove easily (orbital connection / nice for aligning with the bumper cut-out), roughen up the painted surface gently (ex. 0000 steel wool), clean and paint with high temp paint.

Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper 1692789075703

Cranbery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
All done. I wanted to stay OEM as much as possible. At one point I was about to give up and go aftermarket because I couldn't find any take-off Raptor/Tremor/Rattler muffler or tail pipes that weren't cut up, damaged during removal or over priced. I could order them, but they always are on backorder. Then one day out of the blue some one on this forum reached out to me offering their Tremor exhaust system - @Cranbery thank you man!

It turned out great, the install was tricky laying on my garage floor :) It took around 2 /2.5 hours is all. All bolt on and aligned just like the factory. Big difference in sound vs my original single side exhaust. Clearly there is a difference between the single and dual exist mufflers. A deep mellow tone at startup, idle and accelerating, unnoticeable at cruising speed, no drone. Looks great. Looks factory. Sounds tough without being loud. The Tremor take-off is from a 3.5 EB and I have a 5.0L. Research says the muffler and tail pipes are the same for each engine though. I'm not sure about the resonator, I reused mine on my 5.0 but a tape measure says they are the same.

A couple of gotchas that I ran into. Squirt some WD40 or the like on the rubber hangers. Support the mid pipe just after the resonator. I used a racket strap, not tight, but just tight enough to support it. I wanted to keep my original exhaust in tact. With that in mind, you have to remove the front and rear muffler hangers from the frame (hence the reason for the ratchet strap). In order to remove the muffler, you need to twist it a little to "unlock" it from the mid pipe. As you do that the tail pipe will want to go up towards the body, so protect the body/paint with blue tape or something. Now wiggle and pull on the muffler to disconnect it from the mid pipe. Be ready to catch the muffler, you don't want the tail pipe to bang into the truck body/paint. It sounds difficult, maybe it is, but mine pulled right out, on my back, in 108* Texas heat :) The hard part is actually trying to remove the twisted tail pipe and muffler assembly, over the axle. Believe me, I almost said <you know what> and just cut the tail pipe off, but I didn't. I ended up putting 4-2x12x12 stacked under the rear tires. That provided enough lift to remove the muffler/tail pipe forward over the axle and out. Take your time, I can't stress that enough, the tail pipe likes to hit things on the way out as you wrestle with the muffler. Next, the bumper bracket that goes over the tail pipe tip goes between the painted bumper end and the hitch assembly. The first time I attached that bracket to the truck side of the hitch, but that's wrong. The hole on the outside end of the bracket didn't line up with the bumper end properly. I could see the end of the bumper was not aligned with the tail gate. The tail pipe tips are painted from the factory. Fortunately, the tips remove easily (orbital connection / nice for aligning with the bumper cut-out), roughen up the painted surface gently (ex. 0000 steel wool), clean and paint with high temp paint.

1692789075703.png
Man that looks so good! Congrats.

^ Great member to do business with by the way, has my vouch.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Were you able to get the part numbers for these bolts?
Referring to the bolt to attach the over the exhaust tip bracket to the outside/underside end of the bumper... I couldn't find a Ford part number besides the common black hex bolt/washer.

I did however, get the size, M8 - 1.25 x 30mm and found them on Amazon. Make sure to get an appropriate black flat washer so you don't hurt the bumper paint finish to much.

M8-1.25 x 30mm Flanged Button Head Socket Cap Screw Bolts, Allen Socket Drive, Stainless Steel 304, Black Oxide Finish
Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper 1692977602846

Sponsored

Gidds01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat BAP
Can anyone confirm the BAP is the same exhaust as the tremor. I went to order the borla midsection PN60731 for a tremor, and was told by borla that my BAP with duals has a different front connection. They say it's different tail pipes on the tremor compared to BAP

21lariatspprt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Can anyone confirm the BAP is the same exhaust as the tremor. I went to order the borla midsection PN60731 for a tremor, and was told by borla that my BAP with duals has a different front connection. They say it's different tail pipes on the tremor compared to BAP
Yeah that doesn't sound right. Im 99.9 percent sure BAP and Tremor are the same. The only difference is powerboost BAP dual piping, thats a whole different animal.

Gidds01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat BAP
I thought the same, but have no easy way to confirm. It seems weird why ford would make something slightly different just for BAP trucks. It's an extra $1000 to order the tremor tail pipes from borla. But the tremor mid section reuses stock tremor tail pipes which I still believe are the same as the BAP

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Yeah that doesn't sound right. Im 99.9 percent sure BAP and Tremor are the same
I'm in 100% agreement with @21lariatspprt ;) When I did research for my truck, I found Tremor and BAP VIN #'s, looked up the parts, the tails and the muffler were the same. Looking at the Borla 60731 kit, their Y-pipe dual exits are female. The OEM muffler exits are female as well. Looking at the Borla 60731 instructions they combine the mid section with their 60640 optional tails, but mention you can reinstall your original tail pipes now.

The one thing that comes to mind from installing the duals on my truck, the OEM tails have an alignment pin that slides in a groove on the OEM female muffler connection. Looking at the Borla 60731 kit and the instructions, they don''t mention much at all about reusing your OEM tail pipes. I'd be willing to bet you will need to cut that pin off your OEM tail pipes to get them to properly fit in the Borla Y pipe. Also, judging by this picture from their instructions, the alignment looks identical to OEM muffler alignment; left side is sorta cockeyed out, while the right side is tilted in towards the left but straight :)

Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper 1694105659763

Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper 1694103194147

Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper 1694103772256

Gidds01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat BAP
Thanks for the help @21lariatspprt & @TexasTruck I've got a buddy with a tremor, I'm going to try do a comparison this weekend.

Borla said they were working on a mid section kit for the BAP but they also said they haven't tested the tremor system on a BAP. I'm just not sure I'm ready to experiment with a $1000 mid section kit yet lol
Sponsored

Last edited: