First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Here is what I did to get mine hooked up, rude and crude I know, but simple fuse tap off a similar keyed source. I swap my trucks quite often so wanted something a little less permanent and easy to take out. Tapped into F29 and so far so good. Got mine all hooked up and working today finally as weather is starting to turn, and let me tell you... heated steering wheel is very nice 👍

Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information 1667707437848
Sponsored

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Now that '23 models are starting to get delivered, has anyone determined if it is possible to add a heated steering wheel to a truck that should have had it before Ford deleted that option by purchasing a steering wheel with that option and a SCCM from a '22?

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Now that '23 models are starting to get delivered, has anyone determined if it is possible to add a heated steering wheel to a truck that should have had it before Ford deleted that option by purchasing a steering wheel with that option and a SCCM from a '22?
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to add it, the more relevant question, IMO, is what components are in place and what is missing from the 23's

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to add it, the more relevant question, IMO, is what components are in place and what is missing from the 23's
Yup, a guy asked the same on the FB group and I'm curious about that as well, however knowing Ford 99% certain if they deleted it, they deleted everything so have to start from scratch like the rest of us.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Yup, a guy asked the same on the FB group and I'm curious about that as well, however knowing Ford 99% certain if they deleted it, they deleted everything so have to start from scratch like the rest of us.
I would venture to guess that any truck with a forced delete will essentially be like a 501A truck. The parts list is short for me and if I didn't replace the HVAC module I could've been just under $300 in parts

Sponsored

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Not sure yet what components will be missing. I ordered a 402a Tremor in Feb. it arrived a few weeks ago and then the dealership sold it out from under me, and now they are scrambling to figure something else out, but it looks like the only option will be a ‘23, so obviously I will be missing the heated steering wheel now. If I can retrofit it myself then I will probably go this route.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Not sure yet what components will be missing. I ordered a 402a Tremor in Feb. it arrived a few weeks ago and then the dealership sold it out from under me, and now they are scrambling to figure something else out, but it looks like the only option will be a ‘23, so obviously I will be missing the heated steering wheel now. If I can retrofit it myself then I will probably go this route.
I REALLY hope you went elsewhere after that. I had something very similar to this happen to me with a 2011 Mustang GT about 11 years ago. Needless to say I was furious and I bought a new car elsewhere. BUT at least then there were no shortages.

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Not sure yet what components will be missing. I ordered a 402a Tremor in Feb. it arrived a few weeks ago and then the dealership sold it out from under me, and now they are scrambling to figure something else out
They would need to give me one hell of a deal to keep my business after that.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
I REALLY hope you went elsewhere after that. I had something very similar to this happen to me with a 2011 Mustang GT about 11 years ago. Needless to say I was furious and I bought a new car elsewhere. BUT at least then there were no shortages.
Still working with the GM. I am over our fleet at work and this is the dealership where we buy most of our fleet trucks from (50+ per year), so they are trying to figure out other options and say they will make it right. I figure that is my best option at the moment, so we will see how it pans out. If not, I have a few other dealerships I work with and have already talked to about what they have in their current inventory or coming in soon. I have been waiting 9+ months already since initially ordering. My current '17 is good, but I dont want to start the process over and wait another 6+ months, especially now that I feel like I will be settling as I had ordered the exact truck I wanted. I use the heated steering wheel daily in the winter, so I have to get that sorted out, but am sure it will be on my end to do so. Dealerships are fine for routine work, but in my experience suck at anything that is outside of the regular box. A few of our early '22 F150s didnt have the appropriate wiring harness for the aux trailer cam, and the dealership told us (along with a Ford rep) that it was impossible to retrofit that and make it work. Thanks to this forum we purchased the correct harness and swapped it out and now those trucks have working trailer harnesses, so I trust them 0 to be able to retrofit a heated steering wheel.

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Also, the price of these is likely about to sky rocket with all of the deletes. I would buy one sooner than later if you even think a deleted heated steering wheel is in your future.

Here is the heated steering wheel I purchased (~$160):

https://www.varsityfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-steering-wheel-ml3z3600ra
I'm looking for one that does not have adaptive cruise (my truck is an XLT and only has lane centering. Any idea if this would work for me? For that price i might just pick it up!!

this is my steering wheel right now:

Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information 4345

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not sure if this will work or not but instead of replacing the HVAC controls for the HSW button, you guys could try enabling the soft button in Sync with the following in FORScan:

APIM 7D0-02-02 xxx* xxxx xx--
APIM 7D0-02-01 xxxx *xxx xx-

hsw.png
Quick question, do you know if making those changes to the APIM would work in my XLT so that i do not have to buy a new HVAC control module? I'm wondering if i could get away with just buying the clockspring and heated steering wheel!

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here is what I did to get mine hooked up, rude and crude I know, but simple fuse tap off a similar keyed source. I swap my trucks quite often so wanted something a little less permanent and easy to take out. Tapped into F29 and so far so good. Got mine all hooked up and working today finally as weather is starting to turn, and let me tell you... heated steering wheel is very nice 👍
So is it basically hot whenever you have the truck key in the ON position?

Livnitup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Quick question, do you know if making those changes to the APIM would work in my XLT so that i do not have to buy a new HVAC control module? I'm wondering if i could get away with just buying the clockspring and heated steering wheel!
I don't know whether it would/wouldn't work so I posted here so that someone who already had made the decision on adding the HSW might be able to try and confirm/deny it. I had upgraded my APIM to the newest Sync ver and I added the soft button controls to the screen and confirmed that HSW soft button works with my factory HSW.

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
I still havent received my 22. Been waiting on shipping since August now.
Sponsored