Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I'm looking for one that does not have adaptive cruise (my truck is an XLT and only has lane centering. Any idea if this would work for me? For that price i might just pick it up!!

this is my steering wheel right now:
I honestly cannot say for sure, but I know it comes with the controls/buttons. I put a 2018 platinum steering wheel in my 2018 STX and just swapped out the controls/buttons and had zero issues with it (I wanted a soft leather steering wheel instead of that plasticized rubber). I know it’s not quite the same, but I’m inclined to say it would. Don’t use that as a reason to buy it though.
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I honestly cannot say for sure, but I know it comes with the controls/buttons. I put a 2018 platinum steering wheel in my 2018 STX and just swapped out the controls/buttons and had zero issues with it (I wanted a soft leather steering wheel instead of that plasticized rubber). I know it’s not quite the same, but I’m inclined to say it would. Don’t use that as a reason to buy it though.
Makes sense thanks!

poomobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
So I’m gonna give the heated steering wheel a shot. Ordered the parts. I’ve never swapped out a steering wheel before. Any advice? Anything I should make sure I do or don’t do? Thanks!

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
So is it basically hot whenever you have the truck key in the ON position?
Yes, I just hotwired my heated steering wheel straight to 12v... yeehaw 🥴 jk

The power wire is hot with the key on to the SCCM, then that is what controls the actual elements in the steering wheel.

I'm looking for one that does not have adaptive cruise (my truck is an XLT and only has lane centering. Any idea if this would work for me? For that price i might just pick it up!!

this is my steering wheel right now:
The buttons are all interchangeable and modular so don't get hung up on those, you will move you current ones over. Just find a wheel that has heat and the rest you can reuse.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
So I’m gonna give the heated steering wheel a shot. Ordered the parts. I’ve never swapped out a steering wheel before. Any advice? Anything I should make sure I do or don’t do? Thanks!
I recorded a quick video this weekend and just need to throw it together when I get a chance, so keep an eye out for that.

Sponsored

blacklion6

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 501A, 3.5 PB
Occupation
Government
Looking forward to that video!

I was ordering parts for this, and I'm confused about the differences in the clock springs as well. I have a 2021 501A.
The "ML3Z-14A664-B" ford.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/ford-clock-spring-ml3z14a664b, states that it is for - F-150. Electric steering. With power tilt/memory.
The "ML3Z-14A664-A" states that is is for F-150. Electric steering. Without power tilt/memory.

Does anyone know what the real difference is? I don't have power tilt/memory on the steering wheel, but do on my seats. Is the power tilt/memory needed specifically for the heated steering wheel?

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Looking forward to that video!

I was ordering parts for this, and I'm confused about the differences in the clock springs as well. I have a 2021 501A.
The "ML3Z-14A664-B" ford.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/ford-clock-spring-ml3z14a664b, states that it is for - F-150. Electric steering. With power tilt/memory.
The "ML3Z-14A664-A" states that is is for F-150. Electric steering. Without power tilt/memory.

Does anyone know what the real difference is? I don't have power tilt/memory on the steering wheel, but do on my seats. Is the power tilt/memory needed specifically for the heated steering wheel?
To the best of my knowledge, the "B" part number just has the buttons for the electric column movement. I have the same one and the button just comes right off and is still useable for what you want. If the price difference is negligible, I would just get the "B" JUST IN CASE you decide to add the powered column later (which I intend to do, but cannot justify the $600 for it)

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
To the best of my knowledge, the "B" part number just has the buttons for the electric column movement. I have the same one and the button just comes right off and is still useable for what you want. If the price difference is negligible, I would just get the "B" JUST IN CASE you decide to add the powered column later (which I intend to do, but cannot justify the $600 for it)
Correct, you need the higher spec SCCM for heated wheel and it's the same spec as the electric column, so two for one kinda deal. Must trucks that have one have the other how they are built, but like you found the controls and even turn stalk are very modular and easy to swap around.

blacklion6

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 501A, 3.5 PB
Occupation
Government
I'm getting backordered for SCCMs from multiple sites now - just an FYI for anyone interested. Current ship date is 1/13/2022 from Varsity Ford.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Correct, you need the higher spec SCCM for heated wheel and it's the same spec as the electric column, so two for one kinda deal. Must trucks that have one have the other how they are built, but like you found the controls and even turn stalk are very modular and easy to swap around.
Good point, I completely forgot about that. It MUST be the one with the controls

Sponsored

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I'm getting backordered for SCCMs from multiple sites now - just an FYI for anyone interested. Current ship date is 1/13/2022 from Varsity Ford.
Or just get one for cheaper off eBay, that's where I got mine.

Funny how this cycle seems to go, we get things figured out on how to retrofit missing stuff, people start ordering things then everything goes on back order :LOL:

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
This is the correct one. Available now and at a lower price. I am 100% certain this is the correct one, but never trust an internet stranger to spend your money for you haha, double check for yourself

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265985047996?fits=Year:2021|Model:F-150&hash=item3dedf1bdbc:g:GNwAAOSwPCJh7wLF

EDIT: if you want the hard button, here's the HVAC module. I purchased a 21 HVAC module that has the temp read outs, this one does not have that, but it is about $100 less

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2555662343...:F-150&hash=item3b80ef4300:g:NmAAAOSwOBdimh54

Mtntrls

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501a
This is the correct one. Available now and at a lower price. I am 100% certain this is the correct one, but never trust an internet stranger to spend your money for you haha, double check for yourself

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265985047996?fits=Year:2021|Model:F-150&hash=item3dedf1bdbc:g:GNwAAOSwPCJh7wLF

EDIT: if you want the hard button, here's the HVAC module. I purchased a 21 HVAC module that has the temp read outs, this one does not have that, but it is about $100 less

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255566234368?fits=Year:2021|Model:F-150&hash=item3b80ef4300:g:NmAAAOSwOBdimh54
Y’all - FYI I bought that same SCCM from this seller - got two bad units. So I’m now waiting for the backorder from the dealer.

Seller was great to deal with and ended up refunding but one was missing airbag clips (see my post above) and the other had broken pins. You may get a good one, but beware…

Last edited:

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Y’all - FYI I bought that same SCCM from this seller - got two bad units. So I’m now waiting for the backorder from the dealer.

Seller was great to deal with and ended up refunding but one was missing airbag clips (see my post above) and the other had broken pins. You may get a good one, but beware…
I got my SCCM from the same seller and all was good, except I think it was cracked slightly so had to sort that out but all good now, but like any large parts wrecker picker that they seem to be, that's the gamble you take when getting those parts unfortunately.

blacklion6

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 501A, 3.5 PB
Occupation
Government

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2555662343...:F-150&hash=item3b80ef4300:g:NmAAAOSwOBdimh54
Yea I felt like I wanted the hard button, so I went ahead and ponied up for a module with the temp displays, since I have a 2021. I really like that I can see them at a glance without looking at the screen. I thought might source the parts now since they will not be making any more of the temp display units. Did you buy new or used HVAC module? If you bought new - did you have reprogram via FDRS?
Sponsored