Hail Damage - What to do?

wesb2013

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2014 F150
My new truck is on its way, and I'm selling my 2014 Supercab private party. There is some minor hail damage that I received $2,800 from the insurance company to fix. Which option would you choose?

Option 1) Get just the hood fixed for $350 and pocket $2,025. No one will look at the roof when buying so IMO there's really no need to fix that. This would leave 2 small dings in the door (1/2", unrelated to the hail damage), 1 moderate scratch, and a few minor scratches that are mainly wear and tear. This could lower the value of the truck and affect what I end up getting for it. But, I would have the benefit of having $2,000 cash so I could accept a lower offer for the truck.

Option 2) Get everything done except the roof, pay appx $2k to fix the hood, fix the two dings, and fix "most of the cosmetic issues that a buyer will try to nickel and dime me for". This would put the truck in the best condition and I could potentially get more $$$ for the truck, but I'd be giving up $2,000 cash, and I'm not sure that I'll recoup that much in the selling price.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Get it fixed.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
or new buyer may want the 3k discount because of the hail dents
i would use on at the hog lease, its gets beat up enough on its own, but i would pay a premium

if got $$$ from insurance to fix it, then you should get it fixed. or expect the new buyer to say he or she would take truck for 3k or more less than you want or its valued at.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I recently went thru the hail damage thing.
Roof, windshield, hood replaced.
Every other panel except tailgate repaired
$8200
Had it fixed because I will most likely keep this truck a very long time.
Have to look at the roof every time I wash it, and see the hood every time I’m in it—had to be fixed.

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
At least get the hood and roof done. Door dings will be a normal occurrence if use this for daily driver so its hit or miss with getting those done.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Scamming Insurance would be claiming hail damage with no damage. Choosing how to spend the proceeds from an approved claim is not.
Getting paid by insurance to fix vehicle, not fixing, and pocketing $$ is 100% scamming.

If you are not going to fix., dont enter claim.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
In my opinion, whether you fix it or not before you sell it is not necessarily a fraud question. It seems to me that you could ethically sell your vehicle "as is" with damage, as long as you're above-board with respect to the vehicle having damage and reducing the asking price commensurate with the cost to repair that damage (or something along those lines negotiated between parties with full knowledge of the real condition of the vehicle).

The value of the asset has been reduced due to the damage (and for which you've already been reimbursed), so it would be fraud to try to sell it at full market (undamaged) value. It wouldn't be insurance fraud, since you made a legitimate damage claim. I think that it could be considered sales fraud, however.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
I would just fix the truck the way it suppose to be done before the sell. That makes you fair with the insurance company and the new owner and that’s the right way to do it. At the end of the day you’re purchasing 50k+ vehicle which means 2,000 that doesn’t even come out of your pocket is not gonna change your life.
However, I wouldn’t necessarily call it scamming insurance. You paid the premium and sustained a loss covered in the policy. You’re fully entitled to the compensation for the loss whether you choose to fix the loss or not.

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
I would just fix the truck the way it suppose to be done before the sell. That makes you fair with the insurance company and the new owner and that’s the right way to do it. At the end of the day you’re purchasing 50k+ vehicle which means 2,000 that doesn’t even come out of your pocket is not gonna change your life.
However, I wouldn’t necessarily call it scamming insurance. You paid the premium and sustained a loss covered in the policy. You’re fully entitled to the compensation for the loss whether you choose to fix the loss or not.
BINGO!
POCKET CASH SELL TO CARVANA

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
Fix everything that insurance will fix.
Scamming insurance. Not cool.
There is no requirement to fix anything upon payment of an auto insurance claim. None nada zippo. It is not a scam or insurance fraud to keep the money paid and not fix your vehicle. If it were required it would be in the language of your policy, but it is not. Not sure where this idea comes from. You are being paid for your damages. What the insured does with that compensation is entirely up to the insured. It’s your money and your vehicle. You can do whatever you want with both.

You can even fix the damage yourself or have some one do it for less that you were paid for it.

Yes, I am a lawyer and I have handled many types of insurance claims for the last 35 years.

OP
OP

wesb2013

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2014 F150
I'm surprised at all of the strong opinions to get it fixed. I'm doubting I'll recoup the money I put in if I get everything fixed.

"Did you get an estimate from a Paint-less Dent Removal dude/dudette?"

IIs a $500 deductible. One guy quoted $350 to fix just the hood, the other quoted $2800 to fix all exterior blemishes.

Also, is not a scam to picket the cash, I incurred a loss and have the right to do whatever I see fit with the reimbursement.

21F150_208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Did you get an estimate from a Paint-less Dent Removal dude/dudette?
This. I had a mounted wheel roll down a ramp and hit the side of my previous truck. I was horrified, and it looked horrendous. The paintless dude took the dent out for $350. Hail damage is the perfect type of ding for the paint-less process to remove.
Sponsored