First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 F150 Harley Edition, 2021 F150 platinum 4x4
Occupation
General Contractor
So , driving on a local freeway next to a rig as I saw his trailer kick up a piece of metal from the highway. It slammed into the passenger side doors causing about an inch and a half tear through the aluminum door panel. Does anyone have experience as to whether or not this is repairable or will the door itself need to be replaced?
Ford F-150 Aluminum body damage 20220109_105547
Ford F-150 Aluminum body damage 20220109_105547

Ford F-150 Aluminum body damage 20220109_105542
Sponsored

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
That sucks. Do you have comprehensive insurance. If so it shouldnt cost more then the deductible. Im guessing it will be easier and probably cheaper to replace the door. Theres not to many body shops I would trust wigh an aluminum body

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Anything is repairable. But when you get too deep, it's often cheaper to replace with a new part than pay the labor to fix it.

That, in my opinion, is going to be replaced. It's a big gouge and close to a character line. It would be time consuming to patch it.

OP
OP
mx_ata2d

mx_ata2d

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
General Contractor
That sucks. Do you have comprehensive insurance. If so it shouldnt cost more then the deductible. Im guessing it will be easier and probably cheaper to replace the door. Theres not to many body shops I would trust wigh an aluminum body
Yes, insurance will take care of it. I guess they will be recycling the door. My biggest fear is paint matching. 2 doors in the star white 3 stage paint. Just sucks on a brand new truck I have to find a qualified painter.

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Yes, insurance will take care of it. I guess they will be recycling the door. My biggest fear is paint matching. 2 doors in the star white 3 stage paint. Just sucks on a brand new truck I have to find a qualified painter.
I feel your pain...I had to have my bumper repainted before I even brought the truck home. It was damaged in transport. I was so worried about the dealor being able to match the star white tricoat I bought a sun gun to compare the paint before taking it back after the repair. You should have seen the dealership manager's face when I brought the sun gun out and started inspecting their work. In the end the color matches. I Personally don't feel like there's as much metallic in the paint on the bumper as there is the rest of the truck but the only person that knows is me...and now you. Hows the body shop at the dealor you bought the truck from? I was lucky where I bought the truck has a good body shop

OP
OP
mx_ata2d

mx_ata2d

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
General Contractor
I feel your pain...I had to have my bumper repainted before I even brought the truck home. It was damaged in transport. I was so worried about the dealor being able to match the star white tricoat I bought a sun gun to compare the paint before taking it back after the repair. You should have seen the dealership manager's face when I brought the sun gun out and started inspecting their work. In the end the color matches. I Personally don't feel like there's as much metallic in the paint on the bumper as there is the rest of the truck but the only person that knows is me...and now you. Hows the body shop at the dealor you bought the truck from? I was lucky where I bought the truck has a good body shop
If their body shop is half as bad as their service dept I would expect them to paint the truck in the wrong color. I will be doing the same thing you did. I will be interviewing several different body shops before anyone touches it. I'm hoping it only gets better from here on out.
Sponsored