Sponsored

(UPDATED 8-5-22) Whipple Supercharger Issue 2021 F150 5.0

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I responded to your PM and then read your thread. I'm almost positive it is the throttle body making the noise. I've seen a few trucks with this noise on a Facebook group and I've spoken with Mitchell Watts at TC Customs about a similar noise on one of the trucks they installed a Whipple on. The truck had stock exhaust and it sounds like you do as well from the videos. If you had a louder exhaust it would be hard to hear. I know that is not a solution but it might be why I've never had this noise issue. I'll agree yours is one of the loudest I've heard. It sucks that Whipple is saying this is normal. They did the same with a few people on the FB group as well. Check for any play in the blade and look for any rubbing. A little TB cleaner at the pivot points wouldn't be a bad idea either. Maybe a small piece of debris is causing it to hang up or stick a little? If you can't get it to stop, I would definitely reach out to Whipple again and ask to swap TB's. With the stock exhaust, you might just barely hear it normally, but it shouldn't be that loud.
Sponsored

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I just tested with the stock throttle body----- the "screech" is the same.

Then ran it w/o off the air intake tube "screech" is still there-----seems to be coming from turbulence inside the intake manifold...
Very interesting.... If it's coming from inside the head unit it might be a bearing. Have you checked the oil level in the blower?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Both plausible. But if he's hearing it when just at cruising speeds, I doubt there's much boost, if any at that moment.
the video appeared he was moving accelerating and not at cruise speed, my bad

its hard to hear really good on the video and on my computer,

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
I just upped the volume on the videos:

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
Very interesting.... If it's coming from inside the head unit it might be a bearing. Have you checked the oil level in the blower?
I tried but even w a telescopic mirror I can’t see the site glass in the back of the unit at the firewall.
Can’t find a trick or procedure online.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
thanks i put in the ear buds to
i want to change my vote to a slight gear whine or as mentioned low oil level, but that should have been checked when it was installed so thats a real slim choice.

maybe an air leak but i hear more whine now in the higher sound and it
sounds like its moving a TON of volume of air and no place to go, and is backing up or getting very turbulent. almost like right before turbo stall, max pressure then bam a brick wall
what were your boost levels?
are you letting off throttle as it shifts or is it just pulling rpms down that fast
dam that v8 rumble sounds good
the exhaust is quiet but rumbly , maybe its normal and folks cant hear it with non stock exhaust
and...does power fade or keep coming on throughout the "NOISE"
a video if rpms, gear selections and boost

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
the video appeared he was moving accelerating and not at cruise speed, my bad

its hard to hear really good on the video and on my computer,
The sound is constant at cruising speed as well at all times.

There is no sound if you accelerate quickly. Not even max throttle but a quarter or more throttle and there is no noise.

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
thanks i put in the ear buds to
i want to change my vote to a slight gear whine or as mentioned low oil level, but that should have been checked when it was installed so thats a real slim choice.

maybe an air leak but i hear more whine now in the higher sound and it
sounds like its moving a TON of volume of air and no place to go, and is backing up or getting very turbulent. almost like right before turbo stall, max pressure then bam a brick wall
what were your boost levels?
are you letting off throttle as it shifts or is it just pulling rpms down that fast
dam that v8 rumble sounds good
the exhaust is quiet but rumbly , maybe its normal and folks cant hear it with non stock exhaust
and...does power fade or keep coming on throughout the "NOISE"
a video if rpms, gear selections and boost
  • You hear it inside the cabin with the windows up First 2 videos are with the windows up

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
The sound is constant at cruising speed as well at all times.

There is no sound if you accelerate quickly. Not even max throttle but a quarter or more throttle and there is no noise.
very strange, if its constant , then i would lean to low oil or a gear issue
and you checked the belt ??? its not slipping or riding weird or out of alignment?
i see the tech at whipple is helping,

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
I know you are getting heaps of suggestions and I hate to add another. I don't have a Whipple but have researched quite a bit because I wanted one. Here goes:

If applying more than 1/4 throttle quickly makes the noise STOP, and we assume that the noise is from pressurised air escaping somewhere, we can then assume that enough air pressure is going into the manifold to negate the air pressure leak elsewhere.

I might be wrong, but the only device that operates this way on that kit is the blow-off valve. I know you originally said it was good, but logically, if we suppose for a minute that the valve is stuck closed (electronically rather than mechanically possibly), then that's the only thing that could cause the tiny leak to be in evidence at low throttle.

Just my thoughts FWIW, hope you get a resolution.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
I appreciate and thank everyone for trying to assist. I will have the bypass valve looked at again.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Does it happen when in Park when maintaining a rev at a higher RPM?

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
In park as you slowly accelerate it is there but then you start getting to higher RPM's and it is not there. It is when the speed is constant.

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
My new mechanic (not the original installer) has been going the extra distance trying to help.

He made contact with the supplier of Whipple's Throttle Body and sent them the Throttle Body to examine and "modify"' it just arrived and I will wrench it in tomorrow. The supplier was nice enough to help, unlike Whipple Superchargers....other than a few emails w/o any suggestions other than it is "normal".

Before and after pictures below seems like they scuffed the lip of the flap.

I reached out to the supplier to see if that is only what they modified and will report back.

I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.
Ford F-150 (UPDATED 8-5-22) Whipple Supercharger Issue 2021 F150 5.0 before
Ford F-150 (UPDATED 8-5-22) Whipple Supercharger Issue 2021 F150 5.0 thumbnail_IMG_6907

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
I was literally typing my vote for the throttle body.
Sponsored