Sponsored

(UPDATED 8-5-22) Whipple Supercharger Issue 2021 F150 5.0

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
Been going on 3 months of misery with a mind numbing high pitch "tweet" when the truck is just cruising at constant speed. ***It is not the Whipple whistle or whine.

Timeline:
Bone stock except for the V8 Stage 2 kit..lol

Mike (tech support) at Whipple says it's "Normal" intake noise.

My installer does not know what it is.

I took it to the Whipple authorized dealer here in the SF Bay Area he could not figure it out.

So I figured let me kick it down to a Stage 1, maybe the stock throttle body will work...nope it did not work.

It is not the belts or the Bypass valve either.

It sounds like it is coming from inside the intake manifold.

I do not know what to do at this point. I am frustrated...

Attached a couple videos for your ears to be disturbed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
Yes. But the “tweeting” pitch has increased since putting 200 miles on it in the past 3 months.

Currently it is unbearable to drive.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
I know you said it wasn’t the belt, and to be honest it doens’t sound lIke it in the videos, but how do you know for sure it isn’t? Have you tried another just to eliminate?

You also mentioned is sounded like it was coming from the intake manifold. Are you hearing it when idlling as well with the hood open to hear that? Or is that just the location it sounds like its coming from when driving?

FYI, I’m just spitballing with you here. I have no experience with the Whipple, but I do have a supercharged car that’s had it’s fair share of squeaks and squirts.

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
I appreciate you going over possibilities. Thank you.

Belt: ashamed to say in haste sprayed some wd40 just to eliminate it as a suspect

At idle there is no tweeting. Happens whenever you drive constant. Constant speed. Cruise etc.

Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Any abnormal wear on the belt? Just wondering if your installer has all othe pulleys inline.

It almost sounds like a bearing. I would think it would do it at idle as well if it was, but maybe not enough RPM’s to do it then.

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
I’ll check the belt and see and update.

We also had the intake hose off while in park and when you step on the gas the screech is present.

Very frustrating. $11.5K w labor and it’s not drivable.

No check engine lights pulls strong, etc.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Wow that is horrendous. How different does it sound outside the truck with the hood open? Also from under the truck? Just wondering if you can echo-locate by listening from different places. I'm sure you did this already.

I'm not a mechanic by any means. Only a curious onlooker of this thread.

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
Here is another video. Whether the window is up or down you are getting this squeal.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Jesus, that is pretty bad! I had a Shelby gt500 before this truck so I know how annoying it is to chase down these noises but I hope you get it figured out. That is definitely not normal and Whipple should replace whatever it is that's causing the issue. Sounds like a bearing, pulley or some weird intake noise when you get on the throttle. Its almost as if something is making the intake air whistle as it sucks air in. Maybe its installer error, I know some mechanics love to overdo it with RTV silicone gasket sealant and maybe some how when they pressed the manifold some went into the intake and hardened and is creating the whistle? Maybe I'm reaching but its a possibility.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
as a gas turbine guy, if it was a jet i would look at the piping clamps and seals.

i agree it sounds like a pressurized air leak. could be a very small orifice or maybe a bit of gasket not placed right., really anything on the pressure side
have you pulled the charger off and looked,? you probably have but i had to ask

good luck

does your mechanic has access to a boosted intake tester?
https://www.jbtools.com/mastercool-...yLwWwrfqoqMsR2KWW9U_GGzxfb3CL2pBoCeC0QAvD_BwE
similar to the above

that or a mechanic stethoscope and smoke wand and have someone hold mid range throttle and move wand around everything that was touched or added to maybe find a leak

Last edited:
OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
I will pass this along to my mechanic.
I appreciate the responses and will definitely update here the findings.

What a great forum.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Sounds like an intake gasket leaking under boost. I've run into identical noises a handful of times with leaks on turbo applications.
as a gas turbine guy, if it was a jet i would look at the piping clamps and seals.

i agree it sounds like a pressurized air leak. could be a very small orifice or maybe a bit of gasket not placed right., really anything on the pressure side
have you pulled the charger off and looked,? you probably have but i had to ask

good luck

does your mechanic has access to a boosted intake tester?
https://www.jbtools.com/mastercool-...yLwWwrfqoqMsR2KWW9U_GGzxfb3CL2pBoCeC0QAvD_BwE
similar to the above

that or a mechanic stethoscope and smoke wand and have someone hold mid range throttle and move wand around everything that was touched or added to maybe find a leak
Both plausible. But if he's hearing it when just at cruising speeds, I doubt there's much boost, if any at that moment.

OP
OP
Confu11

Confu11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 5.0
Both plausible. But if he's hearing it when just at cruising speeds, I doubt there's much boost, if any at that moment.
I just tested with the stock throttle body----- the "screech" is the same.

Then ran it w/o off the air intake tube "screech" is still there-----seems to be coming from turbulence inside the intake manifold...
Sponsored