Wi-Fi why question

Spiffers

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat
Put in Starlink and since it has a TON more download allowance than I've ever had I decided to connect the truck to the home network. I know I've read that its a step in the OTA updates but I can't recall seeing a specific reason for WHY we do this.
Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The truck gets updates via wifi. HOWEVER, there is also a function where you can pay ATT for wifi hotspot service in your truck. I just have a cell booster and 20 GB of phone hotspot wifi through Mint, which is way cheaper and more versatile than the Ford setup. I hope that helps.

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
The truck gets updates via wifi. HOWEVER, there is also a function where you can pay ATT for wifi hotspot service in your truck. I just have a cell booster and 20 GB of phone hotspot wifi through Mint, which is way cheaper and more versatile than the Ford setup. I hope that helps.
Those are unrelated.

I assume the wifi connection is in case the signal for the OTA updates is weak?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spiffers

Spiffers

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat
As of yesterday I have Starlink now so I dont worry about data usage anymore <Dobby is a free elf!>

We use AT&T out here because there is a tower like 4 miles the way the crow flies from here.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Those are unrelated.

I assume the wifi connection is in case the signal for the OTA updates is weak?
Right, they are unrelated. I wasn't certain which one he was talking about, so I brought both up. I think that I've seen a message that the truck needs wifi for certain OTA updates.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I am still waiting for confirmation of just one person that an OTA was delivered to their truck over Wifi.

No doubt Ford openly eludes to the possibility. And I can't figure out how or why Ford doesn't leverage the route. But they don't. Yet, anyway.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
I am still waiting for confirmation of just one person that an OTA was delivered to their truck over Wifi.

No doubt Ford openly eludes to the possibility. And I can't figure out how or why Ford doesn't leverage the route. But they don't. Yet, anyway.
Can't confirm 100% as I don't know actual contents moved. But I did get 2.1 GB of download across my WIFI to the truck right before the 6.3.0 OTA.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...0-sync-version-23291.20574/page-3#post-397627

Last edited:

zacko11288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet
Occupation
Engineering
I monitor the truck closely on my network, since I purchased it two years ago it has a total tx/rx of approx 35mb of encrypted traffic. I've attached a screenshot of what a typical week looks like. My truck sits quite a bit and is usually plugged into a battery maintainer. I also live in a area with good AT&T cellular coverage.

Ford F-150 Wi-Fi why question Screenshot_20231221_100320

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Not a single OTA released for any Ford connected vehicle requires wifi to download. The convo of whether updates come in through wifi or not has been had many times on many threads in various forums. Whether they do or they don't is not relevant because wifi is not required for OTA's. The problem is Ford's OTA process itself. You can unplug the TCU from your vehicle and an OTA trigger can still be created on the server for your truck. It will never download the update, but the OTA trigger will still be there until it expires.
Sponsored

Last edited: