Sponsored

Who's Albert...and what's with Granger Ford?

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
I joined several F150 forums only a month ago because, having a camping trailer towed by a 2003 Tahoe, I thought that new F150 Hybrid might be a good schizophrenic tow vehicle: Up to handling all the high passes we travel over out west but also serve as our very own utility company once we stopped.

It didn't take but a few days and I started reading posts from an 'Albert' (Schmitz is his last name BTW) with especially appealing (but believable?) pricing from a Ford dealer in little (Pop: 1200) Granger IA. My experience with my local truck dealers were stereotypes that leave many of us comparing car shopping with dental surgery. Granger's claimed pricing (invoice, reduced further by the dealer's 3% holdback) is unlikely to be the whole story, right? And what's the catch, because dealers still need to make a meaningful profit? Well, because I was initially wary and thought others might be too, I thought I'd post this further brief introduction to Albert and Granger.

Yes, the pricing is exactly as advertised. Moreover, the professionalism and service orientation were exemplary for me. But digging a bit further, Granger provides an interesting business case study that any truck or car buff would find pleasing and even a little reassuring. Turns out Zack took over management of both his father's dealerships (FCA and Ford) about 4 years ago. Dad had approached the business in the traditional way, but Zack, Albert and crew thought that maybe things could be done differently, and also better. Out went all print advertising. Granger is just up the road from Des Moines and its 200,000 car buyers, but out went the TV ads and radio spots. The business strategy was simple if challenging: fixed, aggressive pricing, service orientation, virtual outreach beyond its physical location, small revenue streams that don't come from buyers directly but might rival traditional profits if volume increases substantially and - perhaps most importantly - elimination of the zero sum gamesmanship we all know and dislike. Zack's business strategy is four years young now, with truck sales (to speak to our interest) ratcheting up ~30% each year. A recent tally I got from Granger's sales administrator, Brandon, showed ~75% of the trucks sold over the last two months are going to out of state customers. (I'm one example, being a distant 1401 miles from Granger). Ford likes big (BIG) dealerships. Granger used to be a small volume Ford dealer and is striving to grow not just for profit's and jobs' sakes but because their lot volume is throttled by the formulas Ford uses when developing allotments. Granger sells everything it can get, and quickly, and each sale is wrapped up in this style of selling. So we have one of those infrequent examples where, as car buyers, we can have what we want but only if enough of us take advantage of it.

But what about Albert; who's he? He's the special sauce you don't read about in the threads but should consider talking to, no matter where you end up buying your truck. There's much I didn't know about some of the options, the configurator was frustrating me, and I was busy knitting together info and rumor from multiple forums while trying to learn what I thought I should know before ordering. My advice now: Call Albert. He will sell hundreds of trucks just this year and has been doing it for 20 years. Every couple of years he gets his own new Platinum with all the gee dunk, learns what works and what matters (not the same thing), and is willing to share his knowledge without the slightest pinch of sales pressure. He doesn't do paperwork (Brandon does, and very professionally so) and he works from home and at the office. My build sheet went off by email at 8 p.m. and Albert's Preview Order Form was in my inbox before 9. Rebates were quickly but deeply researched since they vary by state of residence. ("Ford's got more money than you do, so let's get your fair share of it.") You know exactly what you want? The call will take 5 mins to get that Preview. You're questioning the stock tires for the conditions in your neck of the woods? He'll share his experience, drawn from truck driving all over. Albert has customers from all over the U.S.; I understand why.

So that's what I learned over the past few days while refining and then placing my order for a Lariat Powerboost. I'm sure there are other great dealers out there, and there are many variables to consider in choosing where to purchase. I hope I just peeled back the curtain a little bit about one such dealer, who seems to be about more than just competitive pricing.

Jack
You had me in the first paragraph not going to lie
Sponsored

Ruelj4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
My son just returned from the overseas with the Marines and is looking to buy a F-150. I have been looking at numerous dealerships in the Dallas area and checked the Granger Ford website. Are the prices shown what they sell for, or have you been able to negotiate a better price, and if so, by how much? Trying to see if it makes sense to fly there and drive back. He's at the base a couple hundred miles from here now, so I'm researching for him so we can make calls when he returns. Thanks!
Send Albert an email. If you can swing going up there to pick it up it will be significantly lower then anything else out there...he was about 2k under invoice pricing before any ford incentives at all on a Platinum build for me. That was close to 9k under MSRP including the Ford incentives. This was with no haggling or any other typical dealership BS. Keep in mind it may take him a day or two to get back to you as he is a 1 man show. I am currently trying to figure out if I can swing flying out there and driving 1000 miles back with the truck.

OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Hunter, I have talked directly with Albert rather than relying on web advertising, and I think you'd be best off doing so as well. I'd suggest using his cell number: 515 210 5592.

As you'll find on forums like this one, Granger has been offering invoice pricing on the entire vehicle with its options, plus a further 3% reduction to give the customer the payment the dealer gets from the manufacturer post-sale. There are no loopholes or catches that any of us have experienced. I haven't seen anything like this elsewhere in my shopping.

If you have even a fair idea of how your son's preferences are for trim level and options, Albert can coach you through getting a Granger quote. But to give you a head start: Basically, you go to ford.com and choose the 'Build' option for a F-150. Select your son's trim and option preferences and then click 'Summary'. The summary page will allow you to do several things with your 'Build', and if you select 'Print' once you can print out your choices and, selecting 'Print' a second time, you can save the summary as a .pdf file. Emailing that .pdf file to Albert will get you a detailed schedule of the MSRP and Invoice price for the model, trim and options on your 'Build' sheet plus the additional 3% holdback credit.

There are two other fees you can expect: A $180 document fee to the dealer and, if your son will register the vehicle outside Iowa, a $45 Iowa transfer fee (temporary vehicle tag) to get him home legally.

Let us know if you have any other Q's.

Jack

OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BTW while talking with Albert (Granger Ford in Iowa), I asked him a bunch of 'numbers' questions about their sales numbers. One was 'How many of the 2021 F-150's he was selling are with the Powerboost drive train?' His answer startled me: 40%! There's a data point worth pondering...

Jack

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
Is there a shipping rate table to various states that we could reference? I'm starting to think this may have been a viable option, but never even looked into it figuring no way I'm going to Iowa from here...
Use Uship or you can contact Lepke Auto Transport 877-733-3479 (a family owned business in Chicago) who are bonded and insured (important) for your shipping needs...

There really is no "chart" available but there are many in the US that do the same thing...

Sponsored

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Jack

Thank you for the kudos and a 10000 foot view of our dealership and policies...

I am just here to help others and sometimes earn business from the fine folks from other states...

Albert

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation

Karl thank you for the kudos and your truck is about here finally...

I have put out over 100 bids for the F-150 crowd, most have used them to "work" with their local dealerships and we do not have a problem with that...

While I do like to earn business from all over the US, I do not want to hurt the local smaller dealerships like us, they need to stay in business...

Davidcharles86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford mustang
Different companies have different set of standards and charge different prices according to their services. I usually suggest Citizenshipper over others because of they price and standards
In the usual cases companies charge more when they want to ship the vehicle for a longer distance and charge less when they want to ship the vehicle for a shorter distance.
Price depends upon various factors such as the distance, mode of transport and various other things.

OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What this thread is missing is a counterpoint, a post that lays alongside Granger's way of selling new cars the pricing practices of your traditional dealership. Here's my example: I made an appointment for today with my local Ford dealer. Prescott is in Yavapai County, AZ with ~250,000 residents, a decent if not huge customer pool. While looking at his one and only 2021 F-150, an XLT, I asked the sales rep what the dealership's pricing policy was. 'What do you mean?' he asked, as tho' pricing isn't discussed, or anything other than what's on the window sticker. 'So you expect MSRP?' I asked. Well no, the dealer expected that AND the $1200 "Desert Prep" (scotchguard, wax, etc.) on the sticker next to it. 'How so?' I asked. 'Well, we only make 1-2% on the sale of the vehicle so we need the additional revenue.'

Before the visit I'd priced a well optioned XLT using Ford's own F150 pricing schedule dated July 2020. His XLT had been marked up 7.4% from Invoice, or over 10% when you add in the 3% holdback he gets. Plus the 'Desert Prep', plus the 'Document Fee', plus the 'lot incentive' that Ford pays a dealer if they get a new vehicle off the lot before the initial 90 day period when Ford is covering the flooring (interest) cost. This dealer is anticipating 11% profit on this one car, priced at ~$60,000, while also expecting the customer to pay the 8.4% AZ sales tax on this entire mark-up. It would have been a waste of my time to lay all this out for him, but it does illustrate why new car sales is one of those business models that, maybe only incrementally and too slowly, will inevitably change as the information flow has only gone in one direction, disarming dealers to the extent the customer arms themselves with information.

And in an ironic twist as we were saying goodbye, he offered the observation that "internet sales" (however he thought that was defined) now accounts for 70% of new car sales. Wow, that's impressive (not). Now the car dealer can ask for all that profit while having some of the sales staff jockey computers somewhere off the sales floor. The whole thing is so obviously bent...

Jack

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
Jack -
Thanks for this great write-up on Albert, Brandon, Zack and Granger.

I'm in the same boat with you. I've gotten spoiled with Tesla's sales program (no dealer, no problem, the price is what you see on the screen). So i went into this process with a bit of trepidation because I simply hate the games dealers play. Why they think we're all stupid is really not flattering. I reached out to Albert, hoping that he would be the genuine person he seemed to be, and boy, have I been pleasantly surprised. My pricing and order were worked up quickly. I changed a couple of things around in the process and they were re-worked and sent over. He even recommended a couple of online sites for ESP plans offered for less than what his dealership sells them.

Communication was only slow when the Bronco release was happening last month - but Albert said they had something like 1300 orders they had to deal with, and I can believe that would be a strain. (Under 30 F150 orders (why haven't more of you reached out to him????)). However, as soon as he had a build date, VIN, window sticker, any update, he's sent me an email. Initial order was a "retail", so I requested that they make it a "stock", which Zack agreed to do, and now I have a build date of tomorrow, and hoping for delivery prior to year end.

As for delivery, like Jack, I'm going to fly to Des Moines from Tampa (last time I looked it was about $200 one-way), and drive it back. I don't mind the road trip in exchange for know that I'm doing business with an honest dealer who's not afraid to give a great price to his customer. I work hard for a living, and I don't want to spread the wealth with some weasel who won't be upfront with me because the thinks this truck will "sell itself".

Albert's the man. If you don't believe what you're reading, just give him a call. Can't wait until those of us that have ordered from him are able to start posting pictures of our deliveries. I'm sure we'll be all smiles.
I was in the area and stopped in at granger this morning. Enjoy seeing snow for the first time... Lol.

Agreed with the rest. Albert is pretty awesome.

Sponsored

Hunter Howard

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking to buy F150
Occupation
Marines
My son wound up buying a F-150 from Albert. Just happened to have one being shipped in that met his needs, XLT Sport with 302A, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, and even a moonroof which he wanted, but nobody seemed to have.. While it will be a 1,600 mile round trip (which should be a bonding experience that will be remembered - with smiles or frowns), he saved $3,000 from the best price in our area (albeit we didn't search that much after a few told us no way).

Thanks to all who responded to my posts asking about Granger Ford and thanks to Albert which made it a quick and easy process.

My next step is to find out what ESP package to get, and from where. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
My next step is to find out what ESP package to get, and from where. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Hunter - there is a pretty comprehensive thread on ESP packages and getting them from internet-based dealers. You just have to make sure that the ESP dealer will be licensed in Texas, if that's where you'll be registering the truck.

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
My son wound up buying a F-150 from Albert. Just happened to have one being shipped in that met his needs, XLT Sport with 302A, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, and even a moonroof which he wanted, but nobody seemed to have.. While it will be a 1,600 mile round trip (which should be a bonding experience that will be remembered - with smiles or frowns), he saved $3,000 from the best price in our area (albeit we didn't search that much after a few told us no way).

Thanks to all who responded to my posts asking about Granger Ford and thanks to Albert which made it a quick and easy process.

I use Ziegler Ford in Michigan for mine

Gonzo67

First Name
Ismario G Gonzalez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 F-150 Lariat, 2020 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 MB C-250
Occupation
Electrical engineer
I joined several F150 forums only a month ago because, having a camping trailer towed by a 2003 Tahoe, I thought that new F150 Hybrid might be a good schizophrenic tow vehicle: Up to handling all the high passes we travel over out west but also serve as our very own utility company once we stopped.

It didn't take but a few days and I started reading posts from an 'Albert' (Schmitz is his last name BTW) with especially appealing (but believable?) pricing from a Ford dealer in little (Pop: 1200) Granger IA. My experience with my local truck dealers were stereotypes that leave many of us comparing car shopping with dental surgery. Granger's claimed pricing (invoice, reduced further by the dealer's 3% holdback) is unlikely to be the whole story, right? And what's the catch, because dealers still need to make a meaningful profit? Well, because I was initially wary and thought others might be too, I thought I'd post this further brief introduction to Albert and Granger.

Yes, the pricing is exactly as advertised. Moreover, the professionalism and service orientation were exemplary for me. But digging a bit further, Granger provides an interesting business case study that any truck or car buff would find pleasing and even a little reassuring. Turns out Zack took over management of both his father's dealerships (FCA and Ford) about 4 years ago. Dad had approached the business in the traditional way, but Zack, Albert and crew thought that maybe things could be done differently, and also better. Out went all print advertising. Granger is just up the road from Des Moines and its 200,000 car buyers, but out went the TV ads and radio spots. The business strategy was simple if challenging: fixed, aggressive pricing, service orientation, virtual outreach beyond its physical location, small revenue streams that don't come from buyers directly but might rival traditional profits if volume increases substantially and - perhaps most importantly - elimination of the zero sum gamesmanship we all know and dislike. Zack's business strategy is four years young now, with truck sales (to speak to our interest) ratcheting up ~30% each year. A recent tally I got from Granger's sales administrator, Brandon, showed ~75% of the trucks sold over the last two months are going to out of state customers. (I'm one example, being a distant 1401 miles from Granger). Ford likes big (BIG) dealerships. Granger used to be a small volume Ford dealer and is striving to grow not just for profit's and jobs' sakes but because their lot volume is throttled by the formulas Ford uses when developing allotments. Granger sells everything it can get, and quickly, and each sale is wrapped up in this style of selling. So we have one of those infrequent examples where, as car buyers, we can have what we want but only if enough of us take advantage of it.

But what about Albert; who's he? He's the special sauce you don't read about in the threads but should consider talking to, no matter where you end up buying your truck. There's much I didn't know about some of the options, the configurator was frustrating me, and I was busy knitting together info and rumor from multiple forums while trying to learn what I thought I should know before ordering. My advice now: Call Albert. He will sell hundreds of trucks just this year and has been doing it for 20 years. Every couple of years he gets his own new Platinum with all the gee dunk, learns what works and what matters (not the same thing), and is willing to share his knowledge without the slightest pinch of sales pressure. He doesn't do paperwork (Brandon does, and very professionally so) and he works from home and at the office. My build sheet went off by email at 8 p.m. and Albert's Preview Order Form was in my inbox before 9. Rebates were quickly but deeply researched since they vary by state of residence. ("Ford's got more money than you do, so let's get your fair share of it.") You know exactly what you want? The call will take 5 mins to get that Preview. You're questioning the stock tires for the conditions in your neck of the woods? He'll share his experience, drawn from truck driving all over. Albert has customers from all over the U.S.; I understand why.

So that's what I learned over the past few days while refining and then placing my order for a Lariat Powerboost. I'm sure there are other great dealers out there, and there are many variables to consider in choosing where to purchase. I hope I just peeled back the curtain a little bit about one such dealer, who seems to be about more than just competitive pricing.

Jack
Jack, Thanks for the write up, this helps alot. I live in a small SC town with one Ford dealer. I have read other Forums where the local dealer refused to provide any warranty services because you didn't buy the truck from them. Any comments and or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
If in Texas I got my best deal in a small town called
Jacksboro, Tx..
The dealerships in the DFW area were blown out of the water by 4 Star ford.
My salesman Ryan Myers
Worked out all the details over the phone.
Mine happened to be on their lot but was just what I was looking for..
In Texas or not in Texas give them a call.. Never hurts to look for your best deal.
I had been talking with several dealers prior to finding 4 Star..
I couldn't have been happier with my deal..
1-940-329-2723,
Tell Ryan Sonny said to check them out..
Sponsored