Sponsored

Who's Albert...and what's with Granger Ford?

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
I joined several F150 forums only a month ago because, having a camping trailer towed by a 2003 Tahoe, I thought that new F150 Hybrid might be a good schizophrenic tow vehicle: Up to handling all the high passes we travel over out west but also serve as our very own utility company once we stopped.

It didn't take but a few days and I started reading posts from an 'Albert' (Schmitz is his last name BTW) with especially appealing (but believable?) pricing from a Ford dealer in little (Pop: 1200) Granger IA. My experience with my local truck dealers were stereotypes that leave many of us comparing car shopping with dental surgery. Granger's claimed pricing (invoice, reduced further by the dealer's 3% holdback) is unlikely to be the whole story, right? And what's the catch, because dealers still need to make a meaningful profit? Well, because I was initially wary and thought others might be too, I thought I'd post this further brief introduction to Albert and Granger.

Yes, the pricing is exactly as advertised. Moreover, the professionalism and service orientation were exemplary for me. But digging a bit further, Granger provides an interesting business case study that any truck or car buff would find pleasing and even a little reassuring. Turns out Zack took over management of both his father's dealerships (FCA and Ford) about 4 years ago. Dad had approached the business in the traditional way, but Zack, Albert and crew thought that maybe things could be done differently, and also better. Out went all print advertising. Granger is just up the road from Des Moines and its 200,000 car buyers, but out went the TV ads and radio spots. The business strategy was simple if challenging: fixed, aggressive pricing, service orientation, virtual outreach beyond its physical location, small revenue streams that don't come from buyers directly but might rival traditional profits if volume increases substantially and - perhaps most importantly - elimination of the zero sum gamesmanship we all know and dislike. Zack's business strategy is four years young now, with truck sales (to speak to our interest) ratcheting up ~30% each year. A recent tally I got from Granger's sales administrator, Brandon, showed ~75% of the trucks sold over the last two months are going to out of state customers. (I'm one example, being a distant 1401 miles from Granger). Ford likes big (BIG) dealerships. Granger used to be a small volume Ford dealer and is striving to grow not just for profit's and jobs' sakes but because their lot volume is throttled by the formulas Ford uses when developing allotments. Granger sells everything it can get, and quickly, and each sale is wrapped up in this style of selling. So we have one of those infrequent examples where, as car buyers, we can have what we want but only if enough of us take advantage of it.

But what about Albert; who's he? He's the special sauce you don't read about in the threads but should consider talking to, no matter where you end up buying your truck. There's much I didn't know about some of the options, the configurator was frustrating me, and I was busy knitting together info and rumor from multiple forums while trying to learn what I thought I should know before ordering. My advice now: Call Albert. He will sell hundreds of trucks just this year and has been doing it for 20 years. Every couple of years he gets his own new Platinum with all the gee dunk, learns what works and what matters (not the same thing), and is willing to share his knowledge without the slightest pinch of sales pressure. He doesn't do paperwork (Brandon does, and very professionally so) and he works from home and at the office. My build sheet went off by email at 8 p.m. and Albert's Preview Order Form was in my inbox before 9. Rebates were quickly but deeply researched since they vary by state of residence. ("Ford's got more money than you do, so let's get your fair share of it.") You know exactly what you want? The call will take 5 mins to get that Preview. You're questioning the stock tires for the conditions in your neck of the woods? He'll share his experience, drawn from truck driving all over. Albert has customers from all over the U.S.; I understand why.

So that's what I learned over the past few days while refining and then placing my order for a Lariat Powerboost. I'm sure there are other great dealers out there, and there are many variables to consider in choosing where to purchase. I hope I just peeled back the curtain a little bit about one such dealer, who seems to be about more than just competitive pricing.

Jack
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Is there a shipping rate table to various states that we could reference? I'm starting to think this may have been a viable option, but never even looked into it figuring no way I'm going to Iowa from here...

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I joined several F150 forums only a month ago because, having a camping trailer towed by a 2003 Tahoe, I thought that new F150 Hybrid might be a good schizophrenic tow vehicle: Up to handling all the high passes we travel over out west but also serve as our very own utility company once we stopped.

It didn't take but a few days and I started reading posts from an 'Albert' (Schmitz is his last name BTW) with especially appealing (but believable?) pricing from a Ford dealer in little (Pop: 1200) Granger IA. My experience with my local truck dealers were stereotypes that leave many of us comparing car shopping with dental surgery. Granger's claimed pricing (invoice, reduced further by the dealer's 3% holdback) is unlikely to be the whole story, right? And what's the catch, because dealers still need to make a meaningful profit? Well, because I was initially wary and thought others might be too, I thought I'd post this further brief introduction to Albert and Granger.

Yes, the pricing is exactly as advertised. Moreover, the professionalism and service orientation were exemplary for me. But digging a bit further, Granger provides an interesting business case study that any truck or car buff would find pleasing and even a little reassuring. Turns out Zack took over management of both his father's dealerships (FCA and Ford) about 4 years ago. Dad had approached the business in the traditional way, but Zack, Albert and crew thought that maybe things could be done differently, and also better. Out went all print advertising. Granger is just up the road from Des Moines and its 200,000 car buyers, but out went the TV ads and radio spots. The business strategy was simple if challenging: fixed, aggressive pricing, service orientation, virtual outreach beyond its physical location, small revenue streams that don't come from buyers directly but might rival traditional profits if volume increases substantially and - perhaps most importantly - elimination of the zero sum gamesmanship we all know and dislike. Zack's business strategy is four years young now, with truck sales (to speak to our interest) ratcheting up ~30% each year. A recent tally I got from Granger's sales administrator, Brandon, showed ~75% of the trucks sold over the last two months are going to out of state customers. (I'm one example, being a distant 1401 miles from Granger). Ford likes big (BIG) dealerships. Granger used to be a small volume Ford dealer and is striving to grow not just for profit's and jobs' sakes but because their lot volume is throttled by the formulas Ford uses when developing allotments. Granger sells everything it can get, and quickly, and each sale is wrapped up in this style of selling. So we have one of those infrequent examples where, as car buyers, we can have what we want but only if enough of us take advantage of it.

But what about Albert; who's he? He's the special sauce you don't read about in the threads but should consider talking to, no matter where you end up buying your truck. There's much I didn't know about some of the options, the configurator was frustrating me, and I was busy knitting together info and rumor from multiple forums while trying to learn what I thought I should know before ordering. My advice now: Call Albert. He will sell hundreds of trucks just this year and has been doing it for 20 years. Every couple of years he gets his own new Platinum with all the gee dunk, learns what works and what matters (not the same thing), and is willing to share his knowledge without the slightest pinch of sales pressure. He doesn't do paperwork (Brandon does, and very professionally so) and he works from home and at the office. My build sheet went off by email at 8 p.m. and Albert's Preview Order Form was in my inbox before 9. Rebates were quickly but deeply researched since they vary by state of residence. ("Ford's got more money than you do, so let's get your fair share of it.") You know exactly what you want? The call will take 5 mins to get that Preview. You're questioning the stock tires for the conditions in your neck of the woods? He'll share his experience, drawn from truck driving all over. Albert has customers from all over the U.S.; I understand why.

So that's what I learned over the past few days while refining and then placing my order for a Lariat Powerboost. I'm sure there are other great dealers out there, and there are many variables to consider in choosing where to purchase. I hope I just peeled back the curtain a little bit about one such dealer, who seems to be about more than just competitive pricing.

Jack
Nice write up. I am curious how will you be transporting your truck back to Arizona?

OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For those of us buying a F150 with the max tow package, our squishy delivery dates fall into mid or late March territory (hopefully). So for me, after a full year of hiding from Covid and with the camping trailer marooned in a storage lot due to family illness, I can't wait to take a Southwest flight to Des Moines and see a bit of the country while doing my own delivery. Besides, the worst of winter will be passed by early April and we should be in somewhat better shape re: the virus. Also helpful is the fact that Ford dealers receive free 'lot interest' (the flooring costs for new vehicles which arrive but don't yet have buyers) from Ford for the first 90 days. So insofar as Albert and his group are concerned, our new trucks, once delivered, can remain on the Granger lot for a lengthy time period if weather and/or Covid remains a concern.

Jack

Sponsored

Kino

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 GC-Trailhawk V8, '21 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Beatnik
I have 3 vehicles set to be purchased through Granger (Albert on the Bronco and Bronco Sport, Zack on the F-150). I've been happy with their work. I will probably be canceling the Bronco reservation, only because the F-150 is more versatile (especially in towing).

It is a 5 1/2 hour drive from here, I-88 to I-80. Chicago area dealers are "blah"!

The dealer has been in full communication with me and very helpful, especially with my F-150 build (never owned a pickup).

My Bronco Sport should arrive by the first week of January (maybe before) - already on the train and shipped. After full purchase and driving it back from Granger, IA, I can state more...

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Jack -
Thanks for this great write-up on Albert, Brandon, Zack and Granger.

I'm in the same boat with you. I've gotten spoiled with Tesla's sales program (no dealer, no problem, the price is what you see on the screen). So i went into this process with a bit of trepidation because I simply hate the games dealers play. Why they think we're all stupid is really not flattering. I reached out to Albert, hoping that he would be the genuine person he seemed to be, and boy, have I been pleasantly surprised. My pricing and order were worked up quickly. I changed a couple of things around in the process and they were re-worked and sent over. He even recommended a couple of online sites for ESP plans offered for less than what his dealership sells them.

Communication was only slow when the Bronco release was happening last month - but Albert said they had something like 1300 orders they had to deal with, and I can believe that would be a strain. (Under 30 F150 orders (why haven't more of you reached out to him????)). However, as soon as he had a build date, VIN, window sticker, any update, he's sent me an email. Initial order was a "retail", so I requested that they make it a "stock", which Zack agreed to do, and now I have a build date of tomorrow, and hoping for delivery prior to year end.

As for delivery, like Jack, I'm going to fly to Des Moines from Tampa (last time I looked it was about $200 one-way), and drive it back. I don't mind the road trip in exchange for know that I'm doing business with an honest dealer who's not afraid to give a great price to his customer. I work hard for a living, and I don't want to spread the wealth with some weasel who won't be upfront with me because the thinks this truck will "sell itself".

Albert's the man. If you don't believe what you're reading, just give him a call. Can't wait until those of us that have ordered from him are able to start posting pictures of our deliveries. I'm sure we'll be all smiles.

OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You know, Karl's last comment made me think of something I'll do...but would encourage other Granger customers to do as well. Get that first 'proud new owner' pic with Albert included and post that on the site. Just a nifty little way to spread the word.

Jack

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
I can echo Jack’s comments. Albert / Granger has been absolutely fantastic!

My plans are similar to Jack’s. Still waiting for a few things to clear up - (1) confirm the 5th wheel hitch compatibility with PB, and (2) a bit more clarity on the payload. So, not fully there yet, but definitely intend to call Albert when ready.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
daemonic3, first a thank you for the help you've given me with a few of those early Q's I posed. They were good examples of what's best about forums like this one.

My answer is: Call Albert. He hasn't 'seen it all yet' but he's getting close. He may have 'stringers' who know those calls come and have given Albert their name. And there are transport companies who run cars for collectors, transferring military personnel and such all over the U.S. My son's used them for his sacred BMW, so there's no higher testimony.

And come to think of it, you may have such a person available to you: a friend, a neighbor's trustworthy college kid on break, perhaps a relative who like me is fed up with being cooped up, and would like a bit of adventure to start off the new year. Call Albert, be a little creative or dig into Google and I think you'll find lots of options.

Jack

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
For those where they are not close to Iowa and flying in + driving back are not an option, how do they ship a truck and what are the rates like?
I have ordered from Albert as well. Great guy! Very knowledgeable! Very helpful! Very friendly!

With that being said I told Albert I was not sure if I would come there to get my truck once it arrives or if I would have them ship it to me. We can decide that part later. Most likely I will have them ship it to me.

I did a little research (several months ago when I was originally looking for a 2020 F150) on the cost of shipping by looking up Auto Transport Companies. Seems the average cost is about $1.00 per mile. I live in Las Vegas so that will be about $1,400. and for me it will still be a savings of about $400 had I purchased locally. If I flew there and drove back with cost of plane ticket, fuel, hotels, and food I'd be looking at roughly $750 to $1,000 not to mention being on the road for 2-4 days. So savings would be closer $800 as compared to buying locally and I'm basing this on the best deal I could get and that was at Invoice plus fees. Oh and to clarify the $1.00 per mile charge, that is having the auto transport use what is called an Open Transport Trailer which is what you commonly see with multiple vehicles loaded onto a trailer and the other is Closed Transport Trailer which is basically a large enclosed (covered) trailer that protects your vehicle (and possibly as many as 3 others) from all elements. However it is almost double the cost of the open trailer. I have also noticed some transport companies charge an additional fee for putting your truck on top of the open trailer. I don't remember exactly why, I think it is because it's easier to access plus if you are on top you don't have to worry about being under an older vehicle that could leak oil or something else on your brand new truck. Finally it seems that once the auto transport is on it's way it can take from 1-4 weeks before it will be delivered.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Along with Wolf Man's research, I'll add my son's experience shipping from Jacksonville FL to San Diego, and then back to Jacksonville during his next Navy rotation. Company reputations tend to vary, altho' much depends on the driver as well. Transport companies shift their itineraries based on seasonal weather patterns, so e.g. getting up to Montana is easier said in the warmer months, harder in the winter ones. One company's schedule and routing might fit your needs better than the next. Pick-up and drop-off need to be firmly arranged (friend, relative if not you) but the actual timing remains a bit 'iffy' until the driver is certain of his arrival at your location. Consequently, your 'support team' - if you are using one because you can't be there - needs to be firmly dialed in, including vehicle inspection on arrival. The logistics are not without their challenges.

Jack

Hunter Howard

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking to buy F150
Occupation
Marines
My son just returned from the overseas with the Marines and is looking to buy a F-150. I have been looking at numerous dealerships in the Dallas area and checked the Granger Ford website. Are the prices shown what they sell for, or have you been able to negotiate a better price, and if so, by how much? Trying to see if it makes sense to fly there and drive back. He's at the base a couple hundred miles from here now, so I'm researching for him so we can make calls when he returns. Thanks!
Sponsored