Sponsored

which 2(or 3?) transfer case models are used in our trucks?

John861

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
That's a confident "no" there. If you've got some inside information, don't bury the lede. Otherwise, I'm willing to entertain any other reason Ford left the IWEs on the Hi-lock trucks, but I haven't heard anything else that makes sense. There's "it probably won't hurt anything" and engineering "we need to make sure it doesn't."

F150s have had IWEs since 2004 straight, haven't they?
Fair point. I have no specific info on why IWE's were removed.

I disagree with your theory though. IWE's are far to expensive to keep on the ESOF and Hi-lock trucks just as a failure mode avoidance for a stuck transfer case. And given the precident of the Ranger, that does not seem to be a concern in production. The most logical reason is a cost save on vehicles where it provides minimal benefit (TOD). Perhaps the Raptor and high Tremor need every bit of fuel economy they can get? Who knows.... seems strange to me.
Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
My 2007 Expedition EL had the ControlTrac 4WD which is BorgWarner TOD, the system was very effective but I normally used 4H in heavy snow. What 4A cannot do is assist with braking where 4H can, 4H distributes brake force evenly between the axles, 4A the ABS kicked in a lot more on ice/snow as that front differential unlocked when decelerating. What 4A was the most useful for was lighter snow where some roads were down to pavement and some uncleared. Not having to switch was nice

My 2023 F-150 has ESOF, interestingly enough Slippery mode puts it in 4H, and Deep Snow mode puts it in 4H and locks the rear axle. I like the functionality, but idk if slippery should be 4H…could tempt unknowing drivers to drive around in 4x4 with some rain lol.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
That is a thought. I just dont trust anyone anymore.. Ive had such bad luck before
jesse. couple questions on this. Im slowly gathering parts for this. got a buddy with a lift and im planning to have it done before the snow flies this year. Do you have a list of what ill need to change forscan wise when I do my swap? and for the new TCCM will I have to have you program that or what will be the procedure for that be? there is another guy on this thread who said he had to get a different driveshaft because the 4A t case was like an inch longer. my powerboost with the short bed you think ill have any issues or should it just be an easy remove and replace? thanks!

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
jesse. couple questions on this. Im slowly gathering parts for this. got a buddy with a lift and im planning to have it done before the snow flies this year. Do you have a list of what ill need to change forscan wise when I do my swap? and for the new TCCM will I have to have you program that or what will be the procedure for that be? there is another guy on this thread who said he had to get a different driveshaft because the 4A t case was like an inch longer. my powerboost with the short bed you think ill have any issues or should it just be an easy remove and replace? thanks!
I didnt change the Drive shaft..

TCCM is plug in. ATCM is plug in also. You cant program them in FDRS anyways they arent the correct parts for the truck

I cant remember the changes.. I made a list prior to. I dont know if Ill find them again or not but it wasnt too many

John861

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I'm the one that needed the new driveshaft. The 1" length issue only applies to the Hi-lock 4A t/case. If you use the regular 4A t/case (non-Tremor/Raptor), the t/case is exactly the same length as the ESOF you have now.

Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I'm the one that needed the new driveshaft. The 1" length issue only applies to the Hi-lock 4A t/case. If you use the regular 4A t/case (non-Tremor/Raptor), the t/case is exactly the same length as the ESOF you have now.
thank you for that info! yeah im ordering the standard 4A TOD case that a lariat would come with so i guess im good.

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
When I installed my hi-lock transfer case, new TCCM, and new ATCM I was able to get them programmed and configured using FDRS with a manually entered VIN for a truck of the same model year that came with those parts from the factory.

After checking some of my old notes from 2021, I tested the Forscan changes on the as-built lines listed below based on the options I saw in the Forscan spreadsheet, and based on the differences I saw between my as-built data and the as-built data for a Tremor 402A.

I made changes one at a time, cycled the ignition and checked for codes to ensure there weren't any unintended consequences. If my memory is correct, I don't think the Forscan changes were needed for proper transfer case operation in my particular case.

ABS: 760-02-01 xxxx xxxX xX--
BCM: 726-16-02 Xxxx xxxx xx--
IPC: 720-01-01 Xxxx xxxx xx--

evoslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL RCSB 5.0
Are there any visual clues to identifying a Hi-Lok transfer case when you see them from the outside?

John861

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Are there any visual clues to identifying a Hi-Lok transfer case when you see them from the outside?
Not much aside from the part number tag. The part number on mine is ML34-7A195-AE ML3V-7A195-JD. The top of the tag has M3AE MVJD which is probably a shorthand reference. Keep in mind this is the engineering part number, not the service number. This keeps it endlessly confusing. Service numbers have a Z in the last digit of the prefix.

I suppose if you are familiar enough with them you might be able to spot the extra a 1" length, but it isn't obvious, especially as installed.

Last edited:

evoslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL RCSB 5.0
Not much aside from the part number tag. The part number on mine is ML34-7A195-AE. The top of the tag has M3AE which is probably a shorthand reference. Keep in mind this is the engineering part number, not the service number. This keeps it endlessly confusing. Service numbers have a Z in the last digit of the prefix.

I suppose if you are familiar enough with them you might be able to spot the extra a 1" length, but it isn't obvious, especially as installed.
Thanks, wonder where the 1" actually is. I've found one on eBay with that tag and part number but it doesn't say it's a TOD case and it's supposedly out of 2.7L STX trim which would be the base T-Case not a TOD or Hi-Lok. So now i'm even more confused.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Ford F-150 which 2(or 3?) transfer case models are used in our trucks? 1691630966425

Damn, this case has jumped like $400. Guess I'll be getting it sooner rather than later....

Last edited:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
STX would be an ESOF case, not hi-lok you are correct

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
The part number on mine is ML34-7A195-AE
This is what all the Gen 2 Raptor Hi-Lock cases are labeled with (TOD Hi-Lock introduced in 2017, to correct a previous post I made). I'm assuming you got yours used? Trying to find this part number new proved difficult. If there is no issue using this case, prospective users can find many that are low mileage and relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:

John861

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
This is what all the Gen 2 Raptor Hi-Lock cases are labeled with (TOD Hi-Lock introduced in 2017, to correct a previous post I made). I'm assuming you got yours used? Trying to find this part number new proved difficult. If there is no issue using this case, prospective users can find many that are low mileage and relatively inexpensive.
I bought mine from a dealer. The ML3V is a 2021 model year (and later) part, so I'm confused why you say it would be in the 2017 trucks. It could be as similar design (i.e. TOD Hi-lock), but something must be different. Did someone confirm compatibility with gen 14 trucks?

Thanks, wonder where the 1" actually is. I've found one on eBay with that tag and part number but it doesn't say it's a TOD case and it's supposedly out of 2.7L STX trim which would be the base T-Case not a TOD or Hi-Lok. So now i'm even more confused.
The rear case half is longer between the main case half mating surface and where the tailshaft starts. I wouldn't trust the visual - look at part numbers. The ESOF in my truck was ML34-7A195-AE. The TOD hi-lock is ML3V-7A195-JD. I wrote that incorrectly last time - I'll try to edit that post. I also noticed that the part number tag on the TOD calls that out as a Borg Warner trademark. The ESOF tag has no reference to TOD as you would expect.

Last edited: