Sponsored

Where is the Power Running Boards module?

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010, 2014, 2017, 2021 F150
chad,
i'm no where near as well versed in all this as you guys so please bear with me.
noticed your post on retrofit gen 14 prb to gen 13. specifically, "...I think I made a mistake and missed the calibration Jesse mentioned..."
i have 2017 (2nd owner) that originally came with prb's but were removed by the original owner.
i got a great deal on some gen 14 2021 prb's (long ones) that i'm trying to install on my gen 13 2017.
can you tell me how exactly i do the prb calibration via self-test when installing gen 14 prb's on gen 13 truck?
@1russjr2

I’m not as well versed as you think.
I’ve been talking to someone else who was trying 13 Gen F150 boards on a new SuperDuty.

The best answer I have is that you guys should contact each other, swap parts and save the headaches.

I don’t know of anyone who has successfully completed this mod.
Just to be clear:

- 13 Gen boards on a 14 Gen truck = Maybe, but nobody has done it.

- 14 Gen boards on a 13 Gen truck = Likely never possible.

Here’s my current theory:

- It might be possible to put 13 Gen Boards on a 14 Gen truck by intentionally retrofitting the legacy ECU with a little DIY wiring because PRBM is a slave module that just reads input CAN signals. To the best of my knowledge the PRMB doesn’t transmit any signal back. So, cheating by stuffing one into a non-supported vehicle sounds plausible… right? Like a packet sniffer or something to that effect.

- I don’t think it’s possible to put 14 Gen boards on a 13 Gen truck because you can’t attach 2 DSM’s to a gateway. I would be afraid to even attempt 2 DSM’s attached to 1 gateway as a test because seat airbags and seatbelt crash records are a thing. The Restraints module is our 'black box' which receives inputs from the DSM, so I advise everyone not to tinker with their DSM too any extremes.

Sorry that my best answer is give up now and buy 13 Gen boards from someone else, but luckily for you I know someone in that position.

Go on the other F150 forums and meessage user: ZooDad
he can put you in touch with an owner looking to do the exact opposite.
You guys can and should swap parts.

https://www.f150forum.com/members/zoodad-240339/
Sponsored

Last edited:

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
chad,
i'm no where near as well versed in all this as you guys so please bear with me.
noticed your post on retrofit gen 14 prb to gen 13. specifically, "...I think I made a mistake and missed the calibration Jesse mentioned..."
i have 2017 (2nd owner) that originally came with prb's but were removed by the original owner.
i got a great deal on some gen 14 2021 prb's (long ones) that i'm trying to install on my gen 13 2017.
can you tell me how exactly i do the prb calibration via self-test when installing gen 14 prb's on gen 13 truck?
They should work just fine, the boards themselves work in the same fashion on either 13 or 14 gen, but how they are powered on each is different. Same wires going to the boards in each gen though. Your biggest hang up right now might be, if you have them all hooked up, it seems like ford swapped the deploy and stow terminals for some reason between the 13 and 14 gens. So simply swapping the two wires might make them work just like they should.

The test you are after would most likely be a PRB/RBM module self test. I've never been around them on a 13gen so couldn't tell you for sure. It is a DSM self test on a 14gen since the boards are ran by the DSM.

The kick switch won't work at all since the 13gen controller has no idea what that even is, plus it isn't even wired.

1702359756062.png

1russjr2

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 5.0 Platinum Long Bed
Occupation
retired
They should work just fine, the boards themselves work in the same fashion on either 13 or 14 gen, but how they are powered on each is different. Same wires going to the boards in each gen though. Your biggest hang up right now might be, if you have them all hooked up, it seems like ford swapped the deploy and stow terminals for some reason between the 13 and 14 gens. So simply swapping the two wires might make them work just like they should.

The test you are after would most likely be a PRB/RBM module self test. I've never been around them on a 13gen so couldn't tell you for sure. It is a DSM self test on a 14gen since the boards are ran by the DSM.

The kick switch won't work at all since the 13gen controller has no idea what that even is, plus it isn't even wired.

1702359756062.png
thx for all this - now i think i'm getting somewhere... we'll see!
on your post, "...Your biggest hang up right now might be, if you have them all hooked up, it seems like ford swapped the deploy and stow terminals for some reason between the 13 and 14 gens. So simply swapping the two wires might make them work just like they should...."
is this the pins 1 and 3 everyone is talking about?
i just need to swap them & it should work correctly - of course, after i do the prb calibration self test in forscan i assume?

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
No problem.
Yes, you got it. I would try a calibration first if you can find one, if you do that and still no go, then I'd try to swap the pins, but if you are trying to use 14 gen boards on a 13 gen, I have a 90% feeling you'll need to swap the pins. Look at the wire colors if you can going to the PRB connector coming out of the bottom of the cab, along with wires going into the PRB module as well.
Sponsored