Warranty repair - poor Ford Customer Care experience

NGinuity

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
I have a 2021 F-150 with the 5.0 that I purchased in May 2021 with 91 miles on the odometer. At 700 miles I noticed I was down a quart. I happened to check it when I got an "Oil Level Low-Add" message on the dash, but topped it off. Kind of odd, but I had read that these engines have break in consumption and also that they might be short filled so I chalked it up to that at the time.

At about 2500 miles I had gone through 2 quarts topping it off so I took it in to get it looked at (I waited because I couldn't be down a vehicle at the time) . They performed TSB 21-259 to reprogram the PCM to get rid of a faulty oil level sensor message, which I did have and had been topping off my oil so it was only about a quart low at that time, so to be honest I don't blame the tech for that finding. This is when they started the consumption test.

At 3600 miles, it was 2 quarts low and back in the shop for the same issue. They performed a heat cycle and cylinder inspection. Found oil in cylinders 2, 7 and 8 (both banks) and verified when they pulled the intake. Ford authorized replacement of both cylinder heads and it was in the shop for 37 days.

During this time, I was not furnished a loaner, Ford did not authorize a rental, and we were down to 1 car. I was about an hour away from home when my child had a medical emergency that my spouse could have transported her for, but we had to call an ambulance, so to add insult to injury, I not only had to make a payment, but now have an 1900 dollar ambulance transport bill solely because we were without a working vehicle.

Time will tell, but I also have longevity concerns with an engine that needed a full top end replacement at 3600 miles and has gone through about 4 quarts of oil, probably straight into the catalytic converter and reducing it's service life. It's no longer "factory". I called Ford Customer Care to see what can be done about it. I asked for, bare minimum, the warranty to be extended on the affected parts and addressed my concerns outlined above. Their service parts warranty on the cylinder heads are only for 3 years, and I'll still be within my factory warranty at that point I also asked for compensation for at least the payment while the truck was in for repair since they did not furnish a loaner or rental. Ford Customer Care didn't budge on any of it. I am disappointed that they would not at least stand behind the longevity of their repair, and I have serious remorse about not sticking with Toyota for a new vehicle (who I've had nothing but POSITIVE experiences with when there were issues). So, the short of it is, a brand new F-150 had a big manufacturing defect, it was repaired, but Ford offered no concessions for the inconvenience or hardships I've experienced (because of their product).

I'm the son of a 3rd generation mechanic, and it's hardly my first rodeo. We've literally been doing this since the Model T, and are all just appalled at this experience. I bought new because i didn't want a used headache (that I've had a lot of experience as a shade tree in the past working on). Has anyone had a good consumer experience with something like this? Am I an outlier here? I don't feel like I asked for much, but after that, it's very apparent that it was conveyed that I don't even matter as a customer. The whole experience has made me not even want to enjoy the truck now that it's out of the shop and I don't even feel like it's proven to be reliable. And THAT'S after only 3600 miles. I get it. Vehicles are mechanical. When they break, it's nothing to get upset about, however, it's quite another story when the manufacturer seems to have largely shunned accountability.
Sponsored