Sponsored

Wanting to tap into power circuit of 400 Watt inverter for mobile radio

rayray3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Greetings all,
Looking to splice into the incoming power of the 400 watt inverter underneath the rear passenger side under the small bench as I've seen done on this and another Ford forum. Wire looks to be 10 gauge which should be large enough for a 40-50 watt radio, but the fuse labeled for the inverter circuit (fuse #35) is labeled at 5 amps. I would need more than that fuse can cover, IF that is the fuse circuit.....

Reading another Ford forum, the member mentioned that they pulled that fuse but still had power going to the input side of the inverter. Looking at both fuse box schematics, I can't see where incoming power is being supplied from if this is the case.

Anyone happen to know which fuse this would be so I can see how large the fuse protecting the circuit is?
Sponsored

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 HDPP Max Tow 3.5LEcoBoost
Occupation
General Contractor
I haven't had much time to look at the schematics yet, but I have a 2.0kW pro power, and my plan was to add a fused connection to the 12v battery under the rear seat.

I have a mobile I want to add as well, and im thinking that's the best way. Tap into it with a fused connection and you should be good to go.

Watching thus thread for other options in case I'm completely wrong

OP
OP
rayray3

rayray3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Maybe I put this in the wrong area. Can a moderator move this to the correct one please? General? Interior mods?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
@rayray3, do you have a Powerboost F150?

On my Non-Powerboost 3.5EB Lariat the feed for the 400W DC>AC inverter itself is from 60A fuse F36 in the BJB (Battery Junction Box) located under the hood. Note that is a "Hot at all times" circuit, the inverter switching is managed within the inverter module.

Separate from the above main power feed there's a feed to the 400W DC>AC inverter module from 5A fuse F35 in the BCM (Body Control Module) located inside the cab. This is powered through a non-serviceable ignition relay within the BCM and provides support for switching and other functions within the 400W DC>AC inverter module.

IF you have a Powerboost the above info may not apply.

Hope that helps.

Remember, you can get a 72-hour subscription to the complete workshop manual, all wiring diagrams, component locations, and connector pin-out details for only $22USD at - FordServiceInfo.Com (motorcraftservice.com) , click the "Service Info" tab on the page that appears after you select your country
;) (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
rayray3

rayray3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I have a non powerboost. V8.

Well I’m at an impass. Popped the hood, took off cover to passenger side fuse box behind the battery, pulled out the only 60 amp fuse in the box and then unplugged the 400 watt inverter plug (one with 10 gauge, 2 wires)and still had 12 volts coming out the plug. I check several fuse schematics and still can’t find where that fuse is.

Only thing else I can think of is to unhook the battery, then splice into that plug wire for my mobile radio. Rather not do that as with these trucks I’ll get some crazy sensor that I’ll end up having to go to the dealer to clear. Still, would be nice to know where the fuse is.

Not sure if I can splice the negative side to plug wire like the positive or if I have to find a negative ground point somewhere else if the radio interferes with the trucks electronics.
Ford F-150 Wanting to tap into power circuit of 400 Watt inverter for mobile radio IMG_0977D.JPG

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I have a non powerboost. V8.

Well I’m at an impass. Popped the hood, took off cover to passenger side fuse box behind the battery, pulled out the only 60 amp fuse in the box and then unplugged the 400 watt inverter plug (one with 10 gauge, 2 wires)and still had 12 volts coming out the plug. I check several fuse schematics and still can’t find where that fuse is.

Only thing else I can think of is to unhook the battery, then splice into that plug wire for my mobile radio. Rather not do that as with these trucks I’ll get some crazy sensor that I’ll end up having to go to the dealer to clear. Still, would be nice to know where the fuse is.

Not sure if I can splice the negative side to plug wire like the positive or if I have to find a negative ground point somewhere else if the radio interferes with the trucks electronics.
If you're wanting to take power from the single aux batt under the rear seat, go for it. That batt is connected to the under-hood batt under all conditions except when the starter is engaged. That batt powers everything else while the bellhousing starter is engaged. If you can't find somewhere else to ground it, you can use that batt. Follow the truck's ground through the current transformer (donut shaped sensor) to the batt so that you're not pulling 'unseen' current from the batt.
Sponsored