Sponsored

Truck jumps like I got hit after coming to complete stop.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost build in July 2021 (late Job 1 truck), just under 8k miles. This issue just started, I'll be in normal drive mode and when I come to a complete stop, within 2-3 seconds I get a bump feeling like I got rear ended and if you don't have your foot smashing the brake pedal, the truck will jump forward a bit, it's quite scary and really gets your attention. I tried putting my truck into sport mode the last two days and it happened less (updating this section of my post), I thought it stopped it but it happened again in sport mode. I'm now trying tow mode to see if I can keep it from happening until resolved. (update - seems to not happen at all in tow mode, if engine is running when I brake and stop, doesn't happen. I can make it happen just backing up out of garage in ev mode and putting into drive and holding brake - I don't have brake hold on and never use this feature as it's hard to ease up a couple inches in electric mode when pulling in garage).

Could this be a software change from a recent OTA update? I just went from 2.8.1 to 2.8.2 (actually happened while we were visiting family and updated on way home as I got the bluecruise message on ford app and finally got to use it on the way home). Since that update, this has happened each time I drive it. UPDATE - now on 2.8.3 and still have issue, so if software related it didn't resolve in next release.

I have a video of it doing the issue in my driveway - not sure if it will pay here if I attach, but attaching in case its viewable. It happens 7 seconds after I go from reverse to drive. You can hear the clunk and if you look closely, you can see the truck jump (i have the brake pushed down hard).

100% auxiliary transmission pump. Take it in get them to order part, then can you when it arrives. Until then put it in park at lights or keep it rolling a few feet per second, or use tow haul mode. Took one day to install at my dealer.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Infidex

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
100% auxiliary transmission pump. Take it in get them to order part, then can you when it arrives. Until then put it in park at lights or keep it rolling a few feet per second, or use tow haul mode. Took one day to install at my dealer.
Thanks - no issues on my end anymore, I posted this to start this thread originally over a year ago as I may have been one of the first with this issue as there were not any posts about it before then. It was the pump - if you follow this thread, you'll see the nightmare that happened along the way. First took 9 weeks to get the part, then transmission stuck in park and took 5 months to get that part. Seems parts are easier to come across now for those that are having this issue, but luckily my dealer found the issue right away, just sucked to wait on parts last year when things were still moving slow.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Oh, sorry. I getting
Thanks - no issues on my end anymore, I posted this to start this thread originally over a year ago as I may have been one of the first with this issue as there were not any posts about it before then. It was the pump - if you follow this thread, you'll see the nightmare that happened along the way. First took 9 weeks to get the part, then transmission stuck in park and took 5 months to get that part. Seems parts are easier to come across now for those that are having this issue, but luckily my dealer found the issue right away, just sucked to wait on parts last year when things were still moving slow.
sorry, I didn't pay attention to the date. That's a bad situation, glad it's over and fixed.

Madfish

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 platinum powerboost
I'm having the same issue, just showed up a month or so ago, only 15000 miles on my 21 powerboost. Jumping as I let off the brake after being at a stop light or approx 6 -10 seconds after sitting at a stoplight. Feels like getting rear ended. Always in normal mode, and when it is sitting in ev or electric mode no engine running. Took it to the dealer, but no luck, they "couldn't replicate it." However not 3 miles from the dealer it starts doing it for me and happen 4 times on my drive home. I've heard aux pump on hear wondering if that solved the problem?

Last edited:

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
Forgive my laziness in not reading this entire thread, but do you know is this only a PowerBoost issue? Or are all versions suseptible to it?

Sponsored

Morg92123

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Tire Industry Consultant
I'm having the same issue, just showed up a month or so ago, only 15000 miles on my 21 powerboost. Jumping as I let off the brake after being at a stop light or approx 6 -10 seconds after sitting at a stoplight. Feels like getting rear ended. Always in normal mode, and when it is sitting in ev or electric mode no engine running. Took it to the dealer, but no luck, they "couldn't replicate it." However not 3 miles from the dealer it starts doing it for me and happen 4 times on my drive home. I've heard aux pump on hear wondering if that solved the problem?
I went through a similar situation as you with my dealer. After a week and a half of my truck being at the dealer with no solution, I contacted Ford CS and they started a claim and contacted the dealer to provide support. The dealer ordered the aux pump this week and is supposed to have the truck ready middle of next week. We will see. Had it not been for the immediate Ford CS support, I doubt there would have been a sense of urgency put forth to solve the issue.

Hale23

First Name
Hale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I'm in the club too. First Ford purchased on Friday (2021 Powerboost with 28k miles). Bought from a Ford dealer in Tennessee to drive back to home in the north east. Got 1/4 mile from the dealer lot and noticed the check engine light. Next light the first "bump" happened. Called the dealer and they swear there was nothing wrong with it 1/4 of a mile ago. Service was closed so I got a hotel to wait until the morning. Found this thread (thank you!), checked the Ford app and sure enough error code with Aux Fluid Pump not starting. Overall the transmission feels very clunky as well (in tow or regular mode).

Got home and called three Ford dealers around me and they are all booked until end of December ... even with check engine light on. All told me they were not sure if I am safe to drive and suggested I rent a car. Oh and forgot to mention, the truck had been sideswiped with scratches, dents that the dealer never mentioned and I didn't see in the dark when I picked it up.

Great first Ford experience so far!

Shane150

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction
New member to this thread and this issue! I was standing at a traffic light and it felt I was rear ended. Scared the crap out of me until I realized there was something wrong with the truck! I removed the truck from Auto Hold and continued to my destination and at every stop the jolt just kept happening. At this point I pulled over and turned off the truck. Exited and locked the truck for a few minutes hoping this action would reset some parameters. Surely enough, the jolt was gone but now the MIL was illuminated. I plugged my MX+ in and read 16 codes! I am dropping off the truck tomorrow and hopefully like @Infidex it will not take 7+ months. They will be providing a comparable loner as well! I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Codes attached.

Ford F-150 Truck jumps like I got hit after coming to complete stop. IMG_7084.PNG

Ford F-150 Truck jumps like I got hit after coming to complete stop. IMG_7086.PNG

Ford F-150 Truck jumps like I got hit after coming to complete stop. IMG_7088.PNG

Shane150

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction
I don't know if battery voltage has anything to do with this but this morning it was at 11.9V as I had not driven it for the past two days and didn't bother connecting it to my trickle charger. Truck only has 5637 miles on it and FordPass alerted me when some of the codes were produced.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I bet if you cleared all those codes and you have decent 12V SOC, and you used the 2-step starting technique, the vast majority of those codes wouldn't return.

But don't do it!

You want those transmission auxiliary pump codes to be there as leverage for the dealership to get the warranty replacement without fuss.

Also, You can drive in tow/haul and possibly keep ICE running, to get around the faulty pump engaging. At least until Ford fixes the truck.

Sponsored

Shane150

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction
I bet if you cleared all those codes and you have decent 12V SOC, and you used the 2-step starting technique, the vast majority of those codes wouldn't return.

But don't do it!

You want those transmission auxiliary pump codes to be there as leverage for the dealership to get the warranty replacement without fuss.

Also, You can drive in tow/haul and possibly keep ICE running, to get around the faulty pump engaging. At least until Ford fixes the truck.
I read this thread in its entirety and as usual I appreciate all your inputs along with that of the OP. I will drive in tow/haul mode as I don't want to cause any secondary damage to the truck. Those codes don't worry me much and for a few minutes earlier today I was considering to clear them but for the exact same reason you mentioned, I decided to keep them for the dealership and as something to show for since for now the jolt is gone. I seriously think this is a combination software/battery issue rather than an issue with the aux pump. Off topic, I think one or two of those codes are caused by my phone holder covering the BlueCruise camera. 😂

Shane150

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction
Dropped it off at the dealership at 9:00AM local time and was told that my purchase doesn't include any rental provisions but for now they are willing to give me a Lightening! They said in order to qualify for rental, I would have to purchase an extended warranty! For now I will just drive the Lightening around until they ask to have it back and then I will decide if I should purchase an extended warranty or rent out of pocket. What do you guys think about extended warranty and which package is the best package?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many of us purchased Ford's ESP warranty from Grainger Ford.

Far less expensive than most dealerships are willing.

Flood Ford and Ziegler Ford are also volume sellers of ESP.
I've now purchased ESP from all 3 over time.

Shane150

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB
Occupation
Construction
But I am in Canada. Would it be honoured if it was purchased from US?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have no idea if it can be sold to a Canadian owner by an US dealership.

You can go to the website and put in the appropriate information and see?
Sponsored