Sponsored

Trip 1, Trip 2, Avg MPG's explain?

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
When people say "This Trip", it is on the Powerboost when you cycle up from Trip 2 to Trip 1 to This Trip.

Ford F-150 Trip 1, Trip 2, Avg MPG's explain? 1668176803447
Sponsored

OP
OP
Heathen

Heathen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT
When people say "This Trip", it is on the Powerboost when you cycle up from Trip 2 to Trip 1 to This Trip.

1668176803447.png
Got it. I have a 5.0 but, I swear somewhere on my display I seen "This Trip". Just don't remember when or where. It's not there when I cycle through the screens. Thanks for every one's help...still learning the new whip. :D

waphilips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 502A, 5.0
Thanks Bret, will check tomorrow. How about the lifetime MPGs? Where is that located? Also, is the average mpg shown for the trip displayed or the life of the vehicle? I have searched the Ford site for answers/explanations to no avail.
the only way to get accurate mileage is to hand calculate. The dash reading isn't called "Lie-o-meter" for nothing. 3 different F150s with 3 different engines, and the "Lie-o-meter" has been consistently optimistic by .8 to 1.5 mpg

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
the only way to get accurate mileage is to hand calculate. The dash reading isn't called "Lie-o-meter" for nothing. 3 different F150s with 3 different engines, and the "Lie-o-meter" has been consistently optimistic by .8 to 1.5 mpg
I agree that fuel economy calculations are on the optimistic side, but there is a way to make the truck calculate differently. I put my truck in engineering mode today (press ok button for 5 seconds, and then start the truck while holding the ok button) and adjusted the AFE Bias (press up one time) from 1000 to 970 to see if my next few hand calculations at the pump track better.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Great tip on the AFE bias setting. Another Powerboost'r reported he has his dialed in very nicely.

But after I hand calculated 4 tanks in a row and found it barely optimist 3 times and pessimistic once? (The worst being 4/10's)

I might dabble with the setting, but I'm not the least bit frustrated with how much more accurate Ford has this fuel metering algorithm than my previous 2018 Ecoboost.

Sponsored

waphilips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 502A, 5.0
I agree that fuel economy calculations are on the optimistic side, but there is a way to make the truck calculate differently. I put my truck in engineering mode today (press ok button for 5 seconds, and then start the truck while holding the ok button) and adjusted the AFE Bias (press up one time) from 1000 to 970 to see if my next few hand calculations at the pump track better.
be careful with that AFE bias adjustment... when your DTE (distance to empty) is 0 -- it is really ZERO -- found that out the hard way on my last truck.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Great tip on the AFE bias setting. Another Powerboost'r reported he has his dialed in very nicely.

But after I hand calculated 4 tanks in a row and found it barely optimist 3 times and pessimistic once? (The worst being 4/10's)

I might dabble with the setting, but I'm not the least bit frustrated with how much more accurate Ford has this fuel metering algorithm than my previous 2018 Ecoboost.
I wonder if those of us that are getting higher than a few tenths of a gallon off might have a bad sensor that doesn't accurately input data for the mpg fuel economy algorithm which I assume is (miles per hour) / (gallons per hour) = miles per gallon. My hand calculations are usually closer to 1 mpg (+/- 3/10) less than what the truck is calculating and I have factory tire dimensions.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I wonder if those of us that are getting higher than a few tenths of a gallon off might have a bad sensor that doesn't accurately input data for the mpg fuel economy algorithm which I assume is (miles per hour) / (gallons per hour) = miles per gallon. My hand calculations are usually closer to 1 mpg (+/- 3/10) less than what the truck is calculating and I have factory tire dimensions.
I don't know if I would call it a bad sensor, but rather there's a variation in the tolerances of whatever the components are that make up the tallying?

Or put another way, if hand calculating is consistent, regardless of over under, then the mechanism is working. So you would just adjust the AFE to bring it up or down to get it closer to actual.

I don't know what the tolerances are supposed to be, but if I found it consistently within a .5mpg +- of actual, I'd be impressed.
Sponsored