First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The biggest mod that I want to do to the PB is a larger fuel tank, ideally >40 gallons. There's no way to achieve this myself, and thus the only real avenue is convincing TransferFlow that enough PB owners are interested to justify their fixed costs. Further, there is a risk that the battery doesn't leave much extra space to fill in, though the shape of the battery gives me hope that 40-43 gallons would be doable.

At 22 MPG with a 1 gallon reserve, you're looking at about 900 miles unladen, or nearly 1000 miles if your truck still has P-rated road tires et c. At 10 MPG, which is about what I should get with a fully loaded 25' AS (this is extrapolated from 13 MPG with the roof tumor in place but only 2800# stripped), that's >400 miles of range.
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The biggest mod that I want to do to the PB is a larger fuel tank, ideally >40 gallons. There's no way to achieve this myself, and thus the only real avenue is convincing TransferFlow that enough PB owners are interested to justify their fixed costs. Further, there is a risk that the battery doesn't leave much extra space to fill in, though the shape of the battery gives me hope that 40-43 gallons would be doable.

At 22 MPG with a 1 gallon reserve, you're looking at about 900 miles unladen, or nearly 1000 miles if your truck still has P-rated road tires et c. At 10 MPG, which is about what I should get with a fully loaded 25' AS (this is extrapolated from 13 MPG with the roof tumor in place but only 2800# stripped), that's >400 miles of range.
I've done that. I purchased a 66g tank from Leonard Online Truck Accessories and installed it a few months after taking delivery of my truck. I can now achieve some 2000 miles range which means I can get down to I-80 where gas is typically 50¢/g less. Here are some pictures. Also whatever tank you purchase, ensure it is both a Transfer and an Auxiliary tank. For gasoline, the fuel suction must come out of the top of the tank, it cannot come out the bottom as with diesel tanks.
Note that you have to use aluminum nuts & bolts. I also put some rubber strips on the bed ribs to minimize rubbing damage.
Ford F-150 TransferFlow Tank IMG_6666(1)
Ford F-150 TransferFlow Tank IMG_6668(1)

Last edited:
OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
So my big question for your setup: how do you transfer fuel from your spare tank to the vehicle tank? I have an ARE camper shell, so mounting that in the bed is very doable.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
So my big question for your setup: how do you transfer fuel from your spare tank to the vehicle tank? I have an ARE camper shell, so mounting that in the bed is very doable.
I'll show the hoses picture. Tapped into the vent line adjacent to the main filler pipe. It's either a 3/8" or 1/4" OD metal line. There are some holes in the frame there and so mounted the pump directly to the frame. Tee'd the vent line into the same vent line above the fuel pump
line. There is one hole already in the box side, used that for the hose to the pump, had to drill another hole for the vent line.
Ford F-150 TransferFlow Tank IMG_6667(1)

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
That's awesome. I think that is my backup in case TransferFlow is a no-go. Thanks!

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
That's awesome. I think that is my backup in case TransferFlow is a no-go. Thanks!
All told the setup ran me about $950... Installed it in November of 21. I ran some numbers awhile ago. Being able to buy gas down along I-80 saves me some 50¢/gal. This setup has already paid for itself about 8 to 10 months ago...

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
All told the setup ran me about $950... Installed it in November of 21. I ran some numbers awhile ago. Being able to buy gas down along I-80 saves me some 50¢/gal. This setup has already paid for itself about 8 to 10 months ago...
Not just that, but my uncle installed a 60 gal tank in his Superduty diesel Tremor on like day 5 of having it, and uses that monster to haul his travel trailer up into the mountains to hunt elk. That's on my radar, and I have heard that middle-of-nowhere CO is famous for not having a ton of gas stations.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Not just that, but my uncle installed a 60 gal tank in his Superduty diesel Tremor on like day 5 of having it, and uses that monster to haul his travel trailer up into the mountains to hunt elk. That's on my radar, and I have heard that middle-of-nowhere CO is famous for not having a ton of gas stations.
Well, yes, if you're towing a big load, having that capacity will make a big difference. When I've towed, not really heavy but plenty of wind resistence, the MPG drops to 12-14 mpg... I suspect with a heavy load it's be something like 8-10 mpg. That big aux tank will be a real help. I did a speed run from Western Wyoming to Coastal South Carolina in June. Fueled up in Abilene, KS, and Myrtle Beach, SC and then Abilene, KS, again. Each fueling was less than $2.00/g.

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Well, yes, if you're towing a big load, having that capacity will make a big difference. When I've towed, not really heavy but plenty of wind resistence, the MPG drops to 12-14 mpg... I suspect with a heavy load it's be something like 8-10 mpg. That big aux tank will be a real help. I did a speed run from Western Wyoming to Coastal South Carolina in June. Fueled up in Abilene, KS, and Myrtle Beach, SC and then Abilene, KS, again. Each fueling was less than $2.00/g.
Dude I drive across Texas on a regular basis but that hurts my soul.

Sponsored

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
When you get ready to wire the fuel pump give me a holler. I'll show you what I did...
Will do. So that I'm understanding, you have a switch that toggles the aux tank pump on and off; I'm assuming that you're stopping to do this?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Will do. So that I'm understanding, you have a switch that toggles the aux tank pump on and off; I'm assuming that you're stopping to do this?
It's on my dashboard, I can turn it on/off while rolling. Tapped into a fuse slot. There's a rubber plug in the floor and ran the wire supply down through it, then to frame rail. Had to run the ground wire for the pump back way to the rear to get to a Ford ground point.

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
The biggest mod that I want to do to the PB is a larger fuel tank, ideally >40 gallons.
When not towing the PB has more than enough range without an aux tank for most needs. Another story towing. But when towing most PB's are so heavy 240 lbs of fuel is not going to work.

Many of us are not so weight limited based on the trailer GW towing with a PB. So the best way to get range for the PB towing would be a Transfer Flow tank in the trailer with an umbilical back to the truck.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I've done that. I purchased a 66g tank from Leonard Online Truck Accessories and installed it a few months after taking delivery of my truck. I can now achieve some 2000 miles range which means I can get down to I-80 where gas is typically 50¢/g less. Here are some pictures. Also whatever tank you purchase, ensure it is both a Transfer and an Auxiliary tank. For gasoline, the fuel suction must come out of the top of the tank, it cannot come out the bottom as with diesel tanks.
Note that you have to use aluminum nuts & bolts. I also put some rubber strips on the bed ribs to minimize rubbing damage.
IMG_6666(1).jpg
IMG_6668(1).jpg
Didn’t you use that for a reunion trip recently?
Sponsored