Sponsored

Blackstone Report - 2023 5.0 2nd oil change

Murrk847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 5.0 F150 STX
Posting Blackstone results for anybody curious. Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w30 done by dealer. Having them do it since I have ford points. Will probably switch to Amsoil FS 5w30 at some point.

Viscosity is a little low for being less than a 5k oil change. Is that just a factor of the synthetic blend?

Ford F-150 Blackstone Report - 2023 5.0 2nd oil change Screenshot 2023-10-05 100305
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I use Amsoil. In my observation the fact of synthetic does not of itself lower viscosity.I do Blackstone and have a number of samples done by them. No issue with viscosity.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Motorcraft semi synthetic never tested as well as generic full synthetic in my years of testing my last truck.

Also, highly doubt your dealer is using any Motorcraft oil. None around here do unless it's a warranty job on Ford dime. I know mine had it because I bought it myself.

gagliano7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 XL STX BAP 5.0 3:73
I have never had oil tested. I change all my own oil and always use the proper oil . Never had a problem. To me the biggest thing is to change oil when you should. I never go past 5000 miles and I never go by the the vehicles oil monitor. With my last truck if I followed the truck oil monitor I would have to wait until 10000 miles which to me is way to long.

gregs150xlt

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
OP, 2 oil changes already at 4481 miles? Isn't that kind of excessive? To each his own I guess.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
if you had an alternator expected to last 100,000 miles, would you change it out at 50,000 miles? If you oil chemistry is good at 5,000 miles, why change it?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Are you seriously going to compare an alternator to oil?

I know that you will never budge on your stance on extending your oil change as far as you possibly can, but plenty of folks just enjoy putting fresh oil in knowing the oil they drained out was still doing its job too.

It just doesn't bother them to change it earlier than absolutely necessary. It's a feel good thing. :)

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Changing oil early does not harm anything other than the wallet of the one doing the oil change. We know through analysis oil can usually go 10k change intervals. It is all personal preferences.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Are you seriously going to compare an alternator to oil?

I know that you will never budge on your stance on extending your oil change as far as you possibly can, but plenty of folks just enjoy putting fresh oil in knowing the oil they drained out was still doing its job too.

It just doesn't bother them to change it earlier than absolutely necessary. It's a feel good thing. :)
Are you seriously not going to compare changing out a component before its time? Come on now... You're a smarter man than that. The issue is simply the same approach to maintenance. If you want to change out lubricants blindly at a given mileage, ignorance is bliss. You can do better.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can call me ignorant, you've done so a few times, but I KNOW that I'm dumping out near-new oil, and pouring in absolutely-new oil.

That's the point! Heck, I wish my tires were brand new too. I love fresh soft quiet rubber.

I start looking forward to dumping the darkened oil at about 3000 miles. I have to make myself wait to go another 1000 or so. 😁

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
You can call me ignorant, you've done so a few times, but I KNOW that I'm dumping out near-new oil, and pouring in absolutely-new oil.

That's the point! Heck, I wish my tires were brand new too. I love fresh soft quiet rubber.

I start looking forward to dumping the darkened oil at about 3000 miles. I have to make myself wait to go another 1000 or so. 😁
Are you serious? In industry, oil analysis is normal practice. Only those companies that can afford to throw away money don't do it. It's no different than your doctor taking blood samples to look into what's going on in your body. I understand that there are those who don't wish to go through the drill of sampling. Just gas it up & drive it... trade it in when the ash trays get dirty... But in the end, if you're going to talk of keeping your truck for years, there's one way to do it and that is maintenance.

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
if you had an alternator expected to last 100,000 miles, would you change it out at 50,000 miles? If you oil chemistry is good at 5,000 miles, why change it?
if an alternator had a known service life, cost $100 and it performed better when new…yes i would change it.
imagine it going out on you a little earlier than expected and causing more than $100 worth of damage.

i also clean my windows when they aren’t covered in dirt….gasp.

guess i will stop wasting money on washing and detailing my vehicles also.

it doesn’t have to make sense to anyone except the owner.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you serious? In industry, oil analysis is normal practice. Only those companies that can afford to throw away money don't do it. It's no different than your doctor taking blood samples to look into what's going on in your body. I understand that there are those who don't wish to go through the drill of sampling. Just gas it up & drive it... trade it in when the ash trays get dirty... But in the end, if you're going to talk of keeping your truck for years, there's one way to do it and that is maintenance.
Exactly!

Maintenance. And my ashtray can't get dirty. I can't even find it. :)

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Ash trays? My 2011 didn't have one either.

Owners can change fluids as often as they want. It's their vehicle to do as they want. I'm actually on the side of not doing excessive oil changes and plan to follow the oil monitor as I did on my last truck for 12 years. I don't care if other people change oil more often because they want to do it. I will change out other fluids like differentials before the Ford recommendation because I can. I don't expect anyone else to do it my way. I also know that most likely modern diff oil can go whatever long interval Ford puts in the manual. Doesn't change my mind about doing it early.
Sponsored