Tint % to match factory rear tint?

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
What % are people going with to match the stock rear tint. I know this can vary by type/manufacturer so please include the type and brand of tint if you know it.

Thanks!
Sponsored

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram Limited 1500
Occupation
Product Designer
What % are people going with to match the stock rear tint. I know this can vary by type/manufacturer so please include the type and brand of tint if you know it.

Thanks!
+1

Also would love to know what the average price people are paying for just tinting the front driver and passenger window.

Djlee1592

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
industrial mechanic

Thanks!
I've always gotten 20% to match factory. Price wise it's usually anywhere from 75 to 120. Obviously will go up the better tint you get. I'm in NY where it's illegal but the place I get it done takes it off for me, I get it inspected, then they put it back on for 70 bucks.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
+1

Also would love to know what the average price people are paying for just tinting the front driver and passenger window.
My mustang with llumar (rear window, qtr panel windows, and driver/passenger windows) was $250 installed.

I did 30% all around.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I've always gotten 20% to match factory. Price wise it's usually anywhere from 75 to 120. Obviously will go up the better tint you get. I'm in NY where it's illegal but the place I get it done takes it off for me, I get it inspected, then they put it back on for 70 bucks.
Sounds about right for just 2 front windows on a truck. Easy to do the job.

That’s a major PITA having to go through that for inspections ?

Sponsored

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I used autobahn I3 ceramic. I don’t know which shade but he did all glass including the sunroof. I didn’t do anything on the windshield.

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man

dicedealer7

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 STX FX4
20%
Dealership tinted mine for free when I bought the truck.

daytpwr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
20%
Dealership tinted mine for free when I bought the truck.
I just did ceramic, 80% front windshield, 35% sides and 35% back and rear. I did all thr windows for the ceramic. I didn't do the sunroof Installer said they break with thr tint. $250 for entire car.

Sponsored

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
I just got a sample book from suntek and tried to match the factory rear tints using their ceramic IR line. So when comparing the sample tint directly to the rear window it seemed that the 30% was the closest (almost exact) match but when you put it up on the front window it became darker. The front windows already have some form of a tint to them (it’s stamped on the window itself also) so I’m thinking to get a closer match I would need to drop the tint down to a 40 or 35 so that it close if not slightly lighter than the rears windows. If I can’t get a perfect match I would rather have them lighter than darker than the rears.

so what % and brand is everyone going with for best color and tint match to the rears???

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
The tint on my Tacoma is spot on (inside/outside). You can’t tell a bit of difference between the fronts and the factory rears. Sticker says it is VLT 25%. I had a 4Runner that looked sharp from the outside, but the fronts were way off when you sat inside. Whoever tints my F-150, will certainly need to nail it. :cool:

I never considered tinting the sunroof, interesting...

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
XPEL PRIME XR (Black) by Xpel flims, that's what you want. It's one of the best ceramics around, and it comes in 'ceramic' and 'ceramic plus', you don't need plus, which only gets you 12% better performance for a lot higher price.

Your rear windows, from factory, are just tinted glass. So a GOOD tint installer will make it as dark as legal (in your state) for the front (like say 30%), and put tint on the back doors (about 55% over existing tinted glass).

Then, if you're super-smart, you'll pay to get the winshield totally covered in what looks like a clear tint (yes, whole windshield in inside, not just the 'brow' like the 90's), with 70% - which is a new thing that blocks out a lot of stuff from drivers eyes, and like a massive amount of heat to the inside of your truck/car. In Texas, where I'm at, 70% total windshield is legal.

Don't get 'ford' Tint, do better. This whole thing I speak of is going to cost about $600 (incl Windshield) in my area. Windshield's typically cost about $250 by themselves.

For those with Moonroofs - you CAN tint them, as long as you don't go too aggressive. If the tint is too dark, it will hold in the heat and that's when cracking/shattering can happen. There are other threads on this site about it. Lots of places just won't do it, or say it can't be done, just to avoid any drama/liability.

XPEL Website (and dealer-finder) - https://www.xpel.com/shop/window-film/automotive-window-tint

Last edited:

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Looking in JAX for tinting all six windows... four doors, back non slider glass, and windshield, all in ceramic with front doors to match rears. First quote is $800.... Still shopping around, but have used these guys before and they do a good job.

"To tint your F150 Crew Cab with our ceramic film you would be looking at $500. This would include the back cab area and the front two doors. We offer a clear ceramic film for the windshield for an additional $300."
Sponsored