First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
My dealership installs tint standard on all windows (I guess makes sense here in Houston) so I’ll just go with theirs...don’t feel need to overwork it.

But they don’t do sunroof by default and said they’d install it if I wanted it. I’ve read several threads on how this could be great but could also be possibly dangerous. Figured we can get a debate going and see if we can reach some consensus... All I want is to be able to ride around with the cloth cover retracted most of the time and have the open, airy feel without the heat and blinding sunlight in Texas.

I would plan to getting the darkest possible since I don’t think there are laws against that on sunroof. But I’ve head concern about how having tint on sunroof or a specific kind can lead to cracking.

Anyone with thoughts on this? Material (regular or ceramic or something else)?
Sponsored

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
My dealership installs tint standard on all windows (I guess makes sense here in Houston) so I’ll just go with theirs...don’t feel need to overwork it.

But they don’t do sunroof by default and said they’d install it if I wanted it. I’ve read several threads on how this could be great but could also be possibly dangerous. Figured we can get a debate going and see if we can reach some consensus... All I want is to be able to ride around with the cloth cover retracted most of the time and have the open, airy feel without the heat and blinding sunlight in Texas.

I would plan to getting the darkest possible since I don’t think there are laws against that on sunroof. But I’ve head concern about how having tint on sunroof or a specific kind can lead to cracking.

Anyone with thoughts on this? Material (regular or ceramic or something else)?
I spoke to a tint guy last week and he said don't tint the sunroof as once done, it's prone to cracking.

I think I've seen some posts here that you can use a ceramic tint which won't cause the roof to crack (vs the film).

I'm sure that others on here no more of this than me.

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
I spoke to a tint guy last week and he said don't tint the sunroof as once done, it's prone to cracking.

I think I've seen some posts here that you can use a ceramic tint which won't cause the roof to crack (vs the film).

I'm sure that others on here no more of this than me.
I had mine done in my 2019 Limited, I have a great tint guy that I've used for over 10 years, he knew all about the cracking and what tint needed to be installed, as soon as I get to my files later this afternoon I'll let you know what tint he used, I live in the Florida Keys so I was concerned about the cracking as well as the heat in the truck. I'll have him tint my 2021 sunroof and windows as soon as I get it

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
There are very few companies that'll tint panoroofs. I lived in Florida with a 2016 F150 King Ranch with a panoroof as well as my Ram 1500 Limited. Neither roofs were tinted and it wasn't a big deal in Florida. Now in Michigan, for sure I won't even look into tinting the roof. I will tint the from sides and the rear slider.

Sponsored

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
Its all about type of tint and not too dark as to hold in heat.
Your right, its not dark at all but keeps the heat out, I live in Key West and didn't have a problem with my 2019 Limited, as I said before, the guy that tinted my panoroof knew all about the issues with tinting and cracking and knew what to do, I'll be getting my 2021 done as soon as I get it.

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
I have had ceramic SunTek tint on all but front windshield on my last & current F150s and my wife current Escape. We used 78% which doesn't darken but the ceramic stops heat transfer. In the summer, it keeps the truck much cooler with the shade open. In the Winter, it keeps the truck warm with the shade open.

I will be doing the same with my 2021 in June.

daytpwr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
My installer said not to tint the roof as well. Just like everyone he said it could crack.

If you live in a hot environment make sure to get ceramic tints to reduce heat gain. The make a big difference.

JDwornik

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I live in Michigan, and never had any issues with tinting my panoroofs. I have had my 2016 F-150, 2018 Edge sport, 2019 Edge ST, 2021 Explorer and my 2021 F-150 all done with zero issues.

I can tell you I will not own a pano roof without tinting it!!

Sponsored

ShawnWillis

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco 2014
"I spoke to a tint guy last week and he said don't tint the sunroof as once done, it's prone to cracking."
Well, there's something to avoid in the future. Thanks for the tip!

Pintobean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 lariat
I installed 3m crystalline for my whole sunroof. Better tinted than not

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
I have had ceramic SunTek tint on all but front windshield on my last & current F150s and my wife current Escape. We used 78% which doesn't darken but the ceramic stops heat transfer. In the summer, it keeps the truck much cooler with the shade open. In the Winter, it keeps the truck warm with the shade open.

I will be doing the same with my 2021 in June.
I was going to ask about this, I think you may be referring to this tint I saw in a shop that didn't have any dark tinting, but they had display with windshield and half tinted & half not and two infrared bulbs. You could feel the diff in heat transfer. Same thing as what you used? If so why didn't you do front windshield as well if I may ask?

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
I was going to ask about this, I think you may be referring to this tint I saw in a shop that didn't have any dark tinting, but they had display with windshield and half tinted & half not and two infrared bulbs. You could feel the diff in heat transfer. Same thing as what you used? If so why didn't you do front windshield as well if I may ask?
It does make it a little different to look through and for me personally, I don't like anything on the front windshield. I have a front window shade I use anyway when parked.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
I had 20% ceramic suntek installed on the front two windows and 70% on the sunroof. I didn’t think that 70 was enough because the kids still complained about the sun in their eyes and I was bothered if the angle was just in the wrong spot. Yes, I could just close the shade. I could still feel the heat coming through when the sun was overhead too.

I ended up having to get the back panel replaced because the gasket wasn’t installed correctly from the factory. When I went back to the tinting place, they said they would redo both panes for the same price so I had them put 20% on. I think this is the perfect level.
Sponsored