First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 F150, 2018 Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Hey guys. Does anybody know if you can add the tailgate step to the standard 2021 tailgate? When I ordered my truck I didn't realize how tall the F150 had grown over the height of my 1998 F150 and at my age I could use a little assistance getting up in the bed of the truck. I know there is an access panel on the inside of the tailgate but wonder if the attachment points and or receiving hardware for the step is in all tailgates. Also if converting the existing tailgate is possible has anyone done it? Thanks for any info on this subject.
Sponsored

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I think it might be possible, there is kits out there

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys. Does anybody know if you can add the tailgate step to the standard 2021 tailgate? When I ordered my truck I didn't realize how tall the F150 had grown over the height of my 1998 F150 and at my age I could use a little assistance getting up in the bed of the truck. I know there is an access panel on the inside of the tailgate but wonder if the attachment points and or receiving hardware for the step is in all tailgates. Also if converting the existing tailgate is possible has anyone done it? Thanks for any info on this subject.
By a aftermarket step. Theres one that mounts off to the side so you can access with tailgate down.

Much cheaper than new tailgate.

Theres threads in this forum discussing.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
No. Would need a new tailgate for the OEM step

Sponsored

OP
OP
ThunderBubba

ThunderBubba

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 F150, 2018 Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Guys. Looks like I'm gonna go the aftermarket route. It would require a new tailgate at over a grand and right now they ain't in stock. I'll just go to Lowes and get a step ladder.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Thanks Guys. Looks like I'm gonna go the aftermarket route. It would require a new tailgate at over a grand and right now they ain't in stock. I'll just go to Lowes and get a step ladder.
i drag a ladder out every time I wash the truck.
To get into the bed, place a step at the front of the box so I can get most of the roof washed. Then I drag the ladder to both front doors to get the rest of the roof and windshield.

still not interested in a gate step—more crap to start rattling later on.

need to get the ladder out for her Trailblazer as well, so no big deal.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
I’m wondering about that too. My tail gate has two spring loaded doors on the top Of it. Looks like it's setup to add the step and hand grab. Nothing there. I’ll have to dig in he manual and see what it’s for.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I had the AMP step on my last truck and the tailgate step on this truck and I like the AMP step better

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I’m wondering about that too. My tail gate has two spring loaded doors on the top Of it. Looks like it's setup to add the step and hand grab. Nothing there. I’ll have to dig in he manual and see what it’s for.
I think Those spring loaded doors are the clamp holds that come with the tailgate work surface (should have some pictures of F clamps on them). Do you have a '21? I thought In '22 you couldn't get the worksurface without the power tailgate, bed lighting, and step.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I had the AMP step on my last truck and the tailgate step on this truck and I like the AMP step better
I put the AMP step on my truck and am very happy with it. Not the cheapest solution but way cheaper than a new tailgate and more convenient than carrying a step stool around.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Those are for a clamp. Hold a piece of wood for cutting, etc.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
I think Those spring loaded doors are the clamp holds that come with the tailgate work surface (should have some pictures of F clamps on them). Do you have a '21? I thought In '22 you couldn't get the worksurface without the power tailgate, bed lighting, and step.
Mines a 22 no work surface or any tailgate accessories ordered. I’ll have to take a closer look.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Mines a 22 no work surface or any tailgate accessories ordered. I’ll have to take a closer look.
Maybe the clamp holds are just standard. Interesting.
Sponsored