Suspension question: 2.25" Readylift vs. 6112/5160

CooleyOne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I've done a bunch of research, lot's of videos, product reviews, pros/cons - etc. Still can't decide between the 2.25" Readylift vs. the 6112/5160 combo.

2021 Powerboost, Lariat w/FX4. Use case = primarily mall crawler, town and highway with occasional offroad, but fairly benign for the most part. If it was any more offroad, the answer would be made easier, I'd look to BDS, 35's, etc. This is not that truck. Leveled on 34's to be clear with either 295/60R20 or 285/65R20. The latter of which are 34.6, which could be rounded up to 35's. ;) lol

Anyway, for those that have a Readylift (or similar puck) with the larger tires than stock - how's the factory suspension handle the extra weight? I'm curious how much of an improvement the 6112's provide in handling the unsprung weight of a modestly larger wheel combo.

Anyone running the Bilstein setup that can speak to the on-road comfort? I do enjoy the 'pillow/cadillac' ride, very plush. But not opposed to something stiffer that provides improved road feel and sportier handling.

Decision to be based primarily on Comfort and Improved handling, if that's truely the case. Or is the Readylift 2.25" with stock suspension 'just fine' and perfectly suited for occasional and modest offroad use with more rubber.

2.25" Readylift is easier / less expensive overall, parts and install. Cost is not a huge driver, but it is a component.
Bilstein 6112/5160 is more expensive, but if the handling is still plush and yet also much more capable, that's good. It's also a 2" lift, slightly less - not sure that's a huge difference. But with the FX4 package, I'm currently at 3.25" rake. (37.5" front to fender, 40.75 read to fender). Then I'm asking myself if a 2.5" spacer is better than the 2.25".

I'll put on a flame suit for the question - but if Bilstein is Plush and Performance, and only 2" of lift, why the hell not run Bilstein and a .5" spacer to get the rake dialed in?

Anyway - forums are the perfect spot to ask these questions. I'm open to comments, suggestions and a few laughs on the journey. Thanks all!
Sponsored

Poalpo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Surprised no one answered. I was searching for similar answers.

I am actually contemplating 6112 and readylift 2” together. I think its an interesting combo that i can’t find much info for.

Captain

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0
I’ll give you what I know about 6112s. I had them on my 3rd gen Tacoma and performance was great. They firmed up the ride which reduced body roll in the corners and always felt well planted. I would also launch into parking entrances, speed bumps and railroad crossings with a smile. They took the bigger bumps at speed very well without feeling bouncy or mushy.

Stock front suspension on the F-150 feels similar to my stock Tacoma did(from what I remember 3 years ago) so I would think the 6112 would offer similar performance gains.

After about a year I moved the 6112 s up to the top perch and added a 1/4” spacer that added an extra 1/2” lift. I didn’t see anything questionable or any loss of performance with the spacers. I did upper control arms at the same time so that might have made up for the added lift.

All in all if the budget allows when I decide to lift the F-150 I’ll go with the 6112s again.

wolfnards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’ll give you what I know about 6112s. I had them on my 3rd gen Tacoma and performance was great. They firmed up the ride which reduced body roll in the corners and always felt well planted. I would also launch into parking entrances, speed bumps and railroad crossings with a smile. They took the bigger bumps at speed very well without feeling bouncy or mushy.

Stock front suspension on the F-150 feels similar to my stock Tacoma did(from what I remember 3 years ago) so I would think the 6112 would offer similar performance gains.

After about a year I moved the 6112 s up to the top perch and added a 1/4” spacer that added an extra 1/2” lift. I didn’t see anything questionable or any loss of performance with the spacers. I did upper control arms at the same time so that might have made up for the added lift.

All in all if the budget allows when I decide to lift the F-150 I’ll go with the 6112s again.
@Captain been lurking recently, and you’re always super helpful, thanks for adding value here.

@Poalpo - what did you end up with? I’m in a similar boat, ‘22 F150 Lariat PB with Max Tow. Looking for plush + Performance. Leaning towards 6112s per Captain, but would love to hear about others’ experiences first. Thanks
Sponsored