The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
So here's the options I'm looking at:

$2820 - Ridetech coilovers, ihc uppers, ihc relocation, fox shocks, IHC helper bags -

Would use the Ridetech (Fox) coilovers in the front with stock lower control arms, the IHC adjustable upper control arms, IHC rear flip kit that I already have installed, IHC shock relocation kit, shorter Fox shocks instead of the IHC shocks from the flip kit, and IHC helper bags. I would just need to find the stock lower control arms again. This setup would allow use for any size wheel, allow me to stay at the height I currently am, provide the correct front suspension geometry and also be adjustable, and allow for damping adjustment in the front but not the rear.

$2680 - Ridetech full kit with bags -

Would be using Ridetech (Fox) coilovers in the front with Ridetech (Fox) shocks in the rear, Ridetech upper control arms with stock lower control arms, and Ridetech flip kit in the rear (would replace my IHC flip kit). I would just need to find the stock control arms again. This setup would not allow for the shock relocation kit with using the Ridetech shocks and would require purchasing the shorter Fox shocks. This setup would allow for any wheel size, provide the correct front suspension geometry and also be adjustable, and allow front damping adjustment front and rear, but not the rear if the shock relocation kit is used. Also, it would sit higher than what I am currently.

$2450 - D3 with spindles -

Would be using Belltech coilovers in the front with Fox 2.0 rear shocks, stock upper and lower control arms, Belltech drop spindles, Maxtrac rear lift flip (would replace my IHC kit), and IHC load leveling bags. I would just need to find the stock upper and lower control arms again. This setup could use the shock relocation kit, but requires 20" or larger wheels. This setup would allow me to stay at the height I currently am, provide the correct front suspension geometry but no adjustability, and no damping adjustability.

$2655 - Belltech spindles and coilovers, IHC flip kit, IHC shock relocation with fox shocks, IHC helper bags -

Would be using Belltech coilovers in the front with Fox 2.0 rear shocks, stock upper and lower control arms, IHC flip kit that's already installed, IHC shock relocation kit, and IHC helper bag kit. I would just need to find the stock upper and lower control arms again. This setup requires 20" or larger wheels, but would allow me to stay at the height I currently am, provide the correct front suspension geometry but no adjustability, and no damping adjustability.

OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
After reading around a bunch of places, and looking at the install instructions and setups I think the plan will just to be to run Ridetech's full setup with their helper bags, traction bars, and sway bar.

I like that the Ridetech traction bars mount above the leaf springs rather than underneath them like all the other brands, so you don't sacrifice any ground clearance, but still have the benefit of a very nice setup. I also like the setup for their helper bags a lot more as well as they come with proper mounting brackets to locate the bag over the center of the axle. The IHC helper bag kit bolts to the frame and sits on top of the back of the leaf spring, and they kind of sit at a funky angle because of that, plus they're pushing on the leaf spring, not the axle. The Ridetech rear sway bar is setup to work on their flip kit as well and not any other brands. I was wanting to run the IHC shock relocation, but due where the Ridetech sway bar bolts onto the axle there isn't room for them and the sway bar brackets it looks like. I haven't heard of any performance or tire fitment "issues" with running the outboard shocks either.

After reading a bunch of reviews on the ride quality of different kits Ridetech was the only kit that nobody ever had anything bad to say about. There were complaints about the IHC kit ride and quality issues with some of their parts. There were similar complaints about the Belltech setups too with ride quality not being great, and that the QA1 shocks have had leaking issues too. I can't run the Belltech setup anyways due to the spindles not clearing less than a 20" wheel. VAS was the other potential recommendation, but a handful of people said they had Belltech to start, went to VAS, and ended up with Ridetech and wouldn't go back. VAS seemed like it was geared much more towards a drag racing setup than a street driven setup.

OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Finished the install on my Ridetech 3/5 kit along with their load leveling bags, traction bars, and rear sway bar. Previously had an IHC 4/6 kit.

Biggest issue I had with the IHC kit was that the axle would hit the frame, even with the bump stops removed. Also, the kit rode fairly rough too, I believe a lot of people attribute that to their rear shocks not being very good. I would assume the only way to get the IHC 4/6 kit to not hit the frame with the axle would be to do a step notch on it, but it's pretty surprising that it would still hit the frame even without any bump stops.

Although I liked the stance more with the IHC 4/6 kit, the ride quality really wasn't worth it. The Ridetech setup rides amazing, and the components are MUCH better quality. The IHC kit is good for what it costs, but I definitely would recommend spending the money for the Ridetech setup. While I was doing this install I also power washed and Fluid Film'd the underside of the truck too to protect it from winter here.

Will post pictures once I get the alignment done and let the suspension fully settle in.
Ford F-150 Suspension mods for 2WD 1f642

Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Ranger; 24 F-150 XL 4x4 RCSB ordered
Occupation
Retired USAF
OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
@The_Auto_Tech Are you going for the full 3/5 or 2/4 ?
3/5. I've got the back set as low as it goes on the rear leaf spring shackles, but the front could still come down quite a bit if I wanted. I just don't want to deal with the rear axle hitting the bump stops or the frame like the IHC 4/6 kit did. From what I read if you do a 6" drop (or more) in the back the frame needs notched, so I'm surprised that IHC doesn't mention that in their kit.
Sponsored