Stock Hankook tires on FX4 for forest roads

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Are the stock tires FX4 tires with 20" wheels okay for mild offroad use? Gravel and forest roads with some ruts and rough sections? I'm asking because everyone here seems to immediately want to replace them but when I was in Mammoth last week and it snowed, they seemed fine offroad on the couple of miles of forest roads I drove with an inch or so of snow. I know they're not going to stand up to sharp rocks, but if I'm just driving some forest roads for 20 - 30 miles, is that an okay use for these or should I be looking at replacing them first? Anyone personally use these off tarmac for longer drives? What was it like?
Sponsored

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
You will be fine keeping your stock wheels and tires. I have driven many miles with my stock AT tires and they worked well on forest roads. Mine are the Goodyear's on 18" wheels, but if I would have had your tire wheel combo I would have be confident with them on forest roads. Don't forget that you have a spare tire that is exactly the same size and brand as the other four tires. If you blow your tire out, you change it, and do not have to be any big rush to sit in a tire shop all day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
You will be fine keeping your stock wheels and tires. I have driven many miles with my stock AT tires and they worked well on forest roads. Mine are the Goodyear's on 18" wheels, but if I would have had your tire wheel combo I would have be confident with them on forest roads. Don't forget that you have a spare tire that is exactly the same size and brand as the other four tires. If you blow your tire out, you change it, and do not have to be any big rush to sit in a tire shop all day.
Thank you, this is very helpful. :)

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
If you have 20” wheels your spare tire is not the “exact” same size as your 20” tires or even the same manufacturer. At least in my case. I think the spare is an 18” wheel and the tire is close to the same hight as your 20” tire but not exact. That said I’ve ran Hankook tires for the last 13 years and never had any issue running light off-road.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
OEMs don't just slap any old tire on their vehicles. The stocks are just fine. It's just that they're 33" and made more for on highway, than off. Tires are important for ride quality which is why stock they ride just fine. But they're 33's and not attractive which is why most abandon them. If you don't care about cosmetics, you can usually get stock / as equipped tires on the cheap.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
my stock awrs scare me,, have to wonder the brain child that decided these are stock for king ranch 4x4
but so far they stick to wet roads pretty good

Ford F-150 Stock Hankook tires on FX4 for forest roads wheel liners splash guards (7)

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
If you have 20” wheels your spare tire is not the “exact” same size as your 20” tires or even the same manufacturer. At least in my case. I think the spare is an 18” wheel and the tire is close to the same hight as your 20” tire but not exact. That said I’ve ran Hankook tires for the last 13 years and never had any issue running light off-road.
Yes the spare isn't the same tire, I'll crawl underneath to check later but the tread pattern looks different.
Sponsored