Sponsored

Steering wheel install/alignment off from factory?

Stable68

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150, 2021 Lariat on order
Took my truck on its first longer drive the other day and noticed the steering wheel looks like it leans a little to the left. If i hold it to where it looks straight the truck slightly bends right.

Is it possible for the steering wheel to be installed misaligned from the factory? Or could it be an illusion with the gauges?

Ford F-150 Steering wheel install/alignment off from factory? 451EDCBE-11CE-4ABF-BE9C-FAC551B6FD8E
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Your steering wheel can only be installed one way. The steering wheel isn't off, your alignment is.

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
Took my truck on its first longer drive the other day and noticed the steering wheel looks like it leans a little to the left. If i hold it to where it looks straight the truck slightly bends right.

Is it possible for the steering wheel to be installed misaligned from the factory? Or could it be an illusion with the gauges?

451EDCBE-11CE-4ABF-BE9C-FAC551B6FD8E.jpeg
Definitely an alignment issue.

moates

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White F150 3.5 XLT FX4
Occupation
FF

Mine was the same way! Super annoying. Dealer “fixed” it. Then I leveled my truck and had a local shop align it. It’s perfect now.

Willy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCrew
Occupation
Sales
Check your front tire pressures. The left may be too low or the right too high. Not sure what the variance needs to be for the tpms to send an error.

Sponsored

dpbrown02

First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Mine is also misaligned about the same amount. Factory equipment must be off. Mine was built in Dearborn on 10/07.

jghh9494

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A SCREW Atlas Blue
Mine drove off the lot with the steering wheel rotated about 2-4° to the right depending on my speed. Seems worse at highway speed than around town. Mine was built 1/22 in Dearborn. Also before buying mine, I test drove another built 1/22 in Dearborn and it was worse than mine.

Originally was gonna wait til my first service to have it addressed but this is one of those things that will gnaw away at me til I get it addressed, so hopefully the dealer will get it corrected but we’ll see what their definition of “correct” is. Might have to cough up the $90 to a local shop who got my last car dead on after a dealer gave it back to me with a crooked steering wheel two times in a row.

First pic is the one I test drove before buying mine and the last three are mine on different road surfaces with varying crown/pitches.

Ford F-150 Steering wheel install/alignment off from factory? AA9AC0BC-DAF9-4422-8C9E-6D209BBDBA2B

Ford F-150 Steering wheel install/alignment off from factory? EC4671A5-3813-4AE4-AAB7-628AEBFECFC0

Ford F-150 Steering wheel install/alignment off from factory? 0EF2114F-AC83-4E8F-96B3-6263561A3C1A

Ford F-150 Steering wheel install/alignment off from factory? EAD21A3D-FE6F-4961-AAEC-9D07BEF92DE3

Last edited:

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired

My truck was like that when I received, except to the right, instead of the left like yours.

I took it back to the dealer and it was realigned as a warranty item.

Jaysonics

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0
I picked up my truck last week after having a level and tires installed along with an alignment steering wheel is also turned slightly left when going straight. Took it back and they checked the alignment which they stated was ok and within spec. I did not notice the wheel on the test drive so not sure if it was like that from the factory. This dealer also forgot to put the nuts back onto the top of the shock assemble after the level install so I don't have much faith in them. Going to give them one more try then I'll just bring it to a local trusted shop

Beyondcr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 150 xlt
Occupation
Mechanic
Just had my truck in for warranty work, rear pinion seal was leaking... before I took it in my steering wheel was also slightly off to the left which was starting to work on me a little because I'm not even at 9000 miles so I figured ide use some of the rewards points to have an alignment done $140. I asked for them to make sure the steering wheel is straight and if possible keep it closer to the toe-in side but keep it in spec also asked to have a copy of the measurements placed in the truck... they only left a copy of the current measurements so I have no clue if any adjustments were made and I swear it feels like the steering wheel is even further off to the left. If I hold the wheel straight I am pulled out of the lane to the right within 2 seconds doing 50 mph I'm a little disappointed and feel like this should not be a thing. I have vehicles over 150k miles and they are straight as a arrow... I guess the dealer is to be avoided, if it wasn't for the lane assist I would fix the problem myself. Sorry for the rant but I do know good alignment techs are hard to find.

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Just had my truck in for warranty work, rear pinion seal was leaking... before I took it in my steering wheel was also slightly off to the left which was starting to work on me a little because I'm not even at 9000 miles so I figured ide use some of the rewards points to have an alignment done $140. I asked for them to make sure the steering wheel is straight and if possible keep it closer to the toe-in side but keep it in spec also asked to have a copy of the measurements placed in the truck... they only left a copy of the current measurements so I have no clue if any adjustments were made and I swear it feels like the steering wheel is even further off to the left. If I hold the wheel straight I am pulled out of the lane to the right within 2 seconds doing 50 mph I'm a little disappointed and feel like this should not be a thing. I have vehicles over 150k miles and they are straight as a arrow... I guess the dealer is to be avoided, if it wasn't for the lane assist I would fix the problem myself. Sorry for the rant but I do know good alignment techs are hard to find.
I had my steering wheel straightened under warranty. Had maybe 130 miles on it. From the time I picked it up, was off to the right. Drove me nuts.

OP
OP

Stable68

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150, 2021 Lariat on order
I had mine fixed under warranty with around 300 miles.
Around 7000 miles later i took the truck on a 400 mile round trip in the fall, about halfway back my steering wheel was turned to the left almost 45 degrees while driving straight, or 2-3x as much as my original photo in the thread. A few days later it had corrected itself fully.
Upon doing some research i learned that its not an alignment issue, but the motors from the adaptive steering being incorrectly indexed, im guessing they reset and thats how it fixed itself.

nkyhunter

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 bronco wildtrak, 2022 f150 tremor
Occupation
retired
any way in fdrs or forscan to correct the steering wheel alignment?

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
any way in fdrs or forscan to correct the steering wheel alignment?
I don't know how, but the dealer fixed my PB. It came from the factory out of alignment. It was driving me nuts. Took it back a few days after getting the truck. They straightened it up.
Sponsored