Steering wheel off center

simon

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 701a Antimatter Blue PB
I have a '22 PB Platinum that drives straight, but the steering wheel is turned to the right a bit while driving straight. Dealer aligned it under warranty and it's still off. I'm beginning to wonder if it's an active steering issue since I've seen some posts on other forums or Superduty forums showing a pretty severe (mine is only a few degrees off) off centered steering wheel due to active steering.

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to disable or calibrate the active steering system so I can rule that out?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Micho523

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
Occupation
Engineer
My 23 lariat without active steering is the same way. Brought it up to the dealer at around 10k miles and they did not want to align it. Numbers looked fine to me except steer ahead so I won't worry about it again until it's time for tires.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I aligned mine myself and the most difficult part was finding a road that wasn't crowned, but was straight. If the road department is on their game, it can be tricky to find.

OP
OP
simon

simon

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You
I aligned mine myself and the most difficult part was finding a road that wasn't crowned, but was straight. If the road department is on their game, it can be tricky to find.
You aligned yourself via tie rod adjustment or active steering adjustment?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You

You aligned yourself via tie rod adjustment or active steering adjustment?
I don't have active steering, but the few degrees of play between the wheel and the column should still be present. I removed the airbag and backed off the retaining bolt, with the key off you can impart force into the wheel to move it within the above play and torque the bolt. If that's not enough you can do so with the steering tie rods. If I recall it's a T50 bolt.

Sponsored

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
I don't have active steering, but the few degrees of play between the wheel and the column should still be present. I removed the airbag and backed off the retaining bolt, with the key off you can impart force into the wheel to move it within the above play and torque the bolt. If that's not enough you can do so with the steering tie rods. If I recall it's a T50 bolt.
No kidding? I thought the shaft the steering wheel attaches to is hex and not splined……or is it and there’s just slop to tweak it a little?

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
@HammaMan after I read your first response more carefully I think you already answered that lol

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
It is hex, but it's not tight. I think the hex is just the 'backup' in case the bolt starts to come loose and then suddenly you have several degrees of slop in the steering to let you know something is wrong.

1711064146814-kh.png

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ted-with-information.6022/page-83#post-437748
10-4 my man, thanks for the clarification. This is on my to do list. I’m a stickler for a straight wheel and mine has bugged me for the last 25k. But no way will this be the first issue I see the dealer service department for. Didn’t know it was this easy. A past Toyota I owned and put a clock spring in had a splined shaft and that was nice to be able to get the wheel perfect, with only a couple degrees of wheel alignment a spline. But I figured the F150 was a tie rod only adjustment due to the hex shaft.

Always appreciate your insight!

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I have a '22 PB Platinum that drives straight, but the steering wheel is turned to the right a bit while driving straight. Dealer aligned it under warranty and it's still off. I'm beginning to wonder if it's an active steering issue since I've seen some posts on other forums or Superduty forums showing a pretty severe (mine is only a few degrees off) off centered steering wheel due to active steering.

Anyway, does anyone know of a way to disable or calibrate the active steering system so I can rule that out?

Thanks!
The steering wheel on my MY truck which I got in Feb of 2022 was also crooked. If I turned the steering wheel straight, the truck would drive to the left.

I took it back to the dealer when it had 183 miles on it. Dealer straightened up the steering wheel and realigned it under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
simon

simon

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The steering wheel on my MY truck which I got in Feb of 2022 was also crooked. If I turned the steering wheel straight, the truck would drive to the left.

I took it back to the dealer when it had 183 miles on it. Dealer straightened up the steering wheel and realigned it under warranty.
This is the same situation with mine. The dealer didn't question realigning it under warranty, it just didn't fix it. Maybe the alignment tech wasn't on his game that day and I'll try again.

So, just to confirm, sounds like there isn't a way to calibrate or re-center the adaptive steering?

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Lol, well it's good to see other people have a tad bit OCD also.
I looked at the back of my trailer a few days ago, after owning it for about 3 years and noticed the "Cherokee" is off center.
I haven't had a good night sleep since...
:)
Sponsored