First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
For those interested, I recently changed the plugs on my PB. I got the initial set from a major dealer, but they were wrong because mid year in 2021, Ford switched from tapered seat to a copper gasket. FordTechMakuLoco has a great video on this, and THAT was my resource for finding the correct part number, which is SP596, with "DYFS12YPT" written on the plugs. The new plugs are visually easy to distinguish as they have a copper gasket vs a tapered shoulder just above the threads on the old plugs (and really, this is only an issue for MY21 trucks as everything since ~July 2021 is the new style).

Overall the job was really easy, though it was the first time I have used a torque wrench on a spark plug (set at 18 lbft for the new plugs). Every plug except for the rear passenger plug was very accessible though I recommend having 2" and 4" 3/8" extensions available (too long won't fit on the rear cylinders so you really need both of these extensions to get at the plugs), as breaking the initial seat on the factory plugs takes a bit of force and stuff is in the way. Other pro tip: pull all of the coils and boots at once and reinstall at the end. I found that the coils get in the way of replacing the rear cylinders, moreso on the passenger side. At 63k miles my boots looked essentially new, and while they are cheap they are also tough to find. Finally, the benefit of doing this yourself is that you will apply antiseize to the threads, such that the next time the plugs aren't a battle to break loose.

Overall, an easy job if you have the correct extensions handy AND got the correct parts beforehand. Hopefully someone will have an aftermarket coil by the time that I replace the plugs again.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Haven't tried on this motor, but some OHC motors require socket-extension-swivel-extension-ratchet to get into plug. Looks to be plenty of room on this engine to access.

Did you get your blemish rectified?

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Haven't tried on this motor, but some OHC motors require socket-extension-swivel-extension-ratchet to get into plug. Looks to be plenty of room on this engine to access.

I had my Ujoints ready, but even as I tried them out, I ultimately didn't use them. The critical piece was extension length. It also helped to have long and short handle socket wrenches. A flexible handle socket wrench would've probably been great, but I didn't have one.

I will point out that I got a 1/4, 3/8, 3/4 Snap On socket wrench set off Fleabay for $120 total. All of them needed the innards cleaned and oiled, but it's just a cover and selector held on by three Phillips screws to get at everything. Scamazon Lucky Dragon Machine Company sockets plus used Snap on Wrenches is a darned effective combo.

Deleted member 15247

For those interested, I recently changed the plugs on my PB. I got the initial set from a major dealer, but they were wrong because mid year in 2021, Ford switched from tapered seat to a copper gasket. FordTechMakuLoco has a great video on this, and THAT was my resource for finding the correct part number, which is SP596, with "DYFS12YPT" written on the plugs. The new plugs are visually easy to distinguish as they have a copper gasket vs a tapered shoulder just above the threads on the old plugs (and really, this is only an issue for MY21 trucks as everything since ~July 2021 is the new style).

Overall the job was really easy, though it was the first time I have used a torque wrench on a spark plug (set at 18 lbft for the new plugs). Every plug except for the rear passenger plug was very accessible though I recommend having 2" and 4" 3/8" extensions available (too long won't fit on the rear cylinders so you really need both of these extensions to get at the plugs), as breaking the initial seat on the factory plugs takes a bit of force and stuff is in the way. Other pro tip: pull all of the coils and boots at once and reinstall at the end. I found that the coils get in the way of replacing the rear cylinders, moreso on the passenger side. At 63k miles my boots looked essentially new, and while they are cheap they are also tough to find. Finally, the benefit of doing this yourself is that you will apply antiseize to the threads, such that the next time the plugs aren't a battle to break loose.

Overall, an easy job if you have the correct extensions handy AND got the correct parts beforehand. Hopefully someone will have an aftermarket coil by the time that I replace the plugs again.
Just curious, how many miles on the truck before the plug swap?

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Just curious, how many miles on the truck before the plug swap?
62k. The old plugs looked completely fine and it wasn't missing or anything. Part of the benefit was proving that it's easy and making sure that it is even easier next time.

Sponsored

Deleted member 15247

62k. The old plugs looked completely fine and it wasn't missing or anything. Part of the benefit was proving that it's easy and making sure that it is even easier next time.
Gotcha. I was wondering how much of a PITA that would be to do. Notice any difference in your fuel mileage or does it run any better?

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Gotcha. I was wondering how much of a PITA that would be to do. Notice any difference in your fuel mileage or does it run any better?
My mileage did improve, but that likely had far more to do with replacing the factory catalytic constrictors at the same time. I will note that the cat DTC did cone on after a while, though since this is the last year for Texas vehicle inspection, it's irrelevant. I will also note that my Flowmaster DBX was tolerable with stock cats, but sounds like a 16 year old's 1998 Camaro with 49 state cats. I'm gonna go to a Flowmaster 70 series because I'm 40, not 16.

Deleted member 15247

My mileage did improve, but that likely had far more to do with replacing the factory catalytic constrictors at the same time. I will note that the cat DTC did cone on after a while, though since this is the last year for Texas vehicle inspection, it's irrelevant. I will also note that my Flowmaster DBX was tolerable with stock cats, but sounds like a 16 year old's 1998 Camaro with 49 state cats. I'm gonna go to a Flowmaster 70 series because I'm 40, not 16.
lol. Thanks for sharing brother. Have a good day

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician

Got an appointment to get it pounded out in June and then I'll get the rocker panels done up with LineX like I've been planning for 3 years. Gonna try to pick up tractor AND loader next week off, so time will be tight. It turns out that Facebook marketplace is THE place to buy ag equipment. Thanks, Zuck!
Sponsored