Sponsored

Somone hit my bumper--repair or replace?

RellIk&5

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Black Widow
Someone recently hit my bumper and did some very minor damage. It's enough, though, that I'm out of pocket at least $500 for my deductible if I choose to repair it. Or I can swap the factory bumper with an RC bumper for just about $100 more. Thoughts??? Should I repair or replace? If I repair, I keep a little money and my original bumper with Black Widow custom paint color. If I replace, I get a much heavier duty steel bumper that, should anyone hit it the same way again, will probably not do any damage to it.

Ford F-150 Somone hit my bumper--repair or replace? IMG_0395
Ford F-150 Somone hit my bumper--repair or replace? img_3096
Sponsored

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I had the same thing happen, replaced mine with oem raptor end panels! Turned out great. But with panels from last gen you have to buy new top plastic piece so that everything fits together. If you wanted to replace the factory 14th gen pieces with oem 14th gen pieces I have a full set for sale with one rock chip on passenger side.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/rear-bumper-panels.11366/

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Someone recently hit my bumper and did some very minor damage. It's enough, though, that I'm out of pocket at least $500 for my deductible if I choose to repair it. Or I can swap the factory bumper with an RC bumper for just about $100 more. Thoughts??? Should I repair or replace? If I repair, I keep a little money and my original bumper with Black Widow custom paint color. If I replace, I get a much heavier duty steel bumper that, should anyone hit it the same way again, will probably not do any damage to it.

IMG_0395.jpeg
img_3096.jpg
That minor damage will be at least $1000 to properly repair and that is assuming there is no underlying damage to the bumper. I don't understand what the Black Widow color is, but if it was an aftermarket custom job, then the price to repair just increased. That steel bumper is slick looking. Is it powder coated or just paint?

OP
OP
RellIk&5

RellIk&5

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That minor damage will be at least $1000 to properly repair and that is assuming there is no underlying damage to the bumper. I don't understand what the Black Widow color is, but if it was an aftermarket custom job, then the price to repair just increased. That steel bumper is slick looking. Is it powder coated or just paint?
Body shop quoted me $680 to repair. Even if it's more, it's still only my $500 deductible. I believe that RC bumper is powder coated. It doesn't really say on their website. If I'm going to order, I need to call them to get my military discount code to bring the price down and I would ask them at that time if it's paint or powder coat.

The Black Widow color is not a specific color. If you look at my profile picture, you can see I have a black to blue fade. The black is factory Agate Black, but I don't know what the blue is. That's the custom color. I think SCA/Tuscany is out on strike so I've had no luck getting a response from them for the paint codes that the body shop will need to repair.

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
If the scratches didn't go through to the paint (it is hard to tell in the picture), you could buff that out, and it would look new. If the scratches do go through to the paint then buffing won't be enough. That RC bumper looks great and I would really like to have the steps in the corner. I haul a lot of stuff (tools and material) and access to the bed from outside the truck is a big deal for me. As long as this bumper has the same or better specs for towing (tongue weight), I would definitely go with that replacement bumper.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RellIk&5

RellIk&5

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If the scratches didn't go through to the paint (it is hard to tell in the picture), you could buff that out, and it would look new. If the scratches do go through to the paint then buffing won't be enough. That RC bumper looks great and I would really like to have the steps in the corner. I haul a lot of stuff (tools and material) and access to the bed from outside the truck is a big deal for me. As long as this bumper has the same or better specs for towing (tongue weight), I would definitely go with that replacement bumper.
Scratches definitely went through the paint. I've got all the gear to repair had it not. You can see the black in the lower portion of the picture. That's where the paint is completely gone. It was a white car that hit my bumper which is why you still see hints of white in the photo.

The bumper is about 80 lbs and uses all the factory hardware from the OEM bumper so it should definitely have at least the same towing specs.

OP
OP
RellIk&5

RellIk&5

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well...called RC to get some more details on the bumper and found out it won't work on the '21. Well, it might, but they won't say officially that it does. And I don't want to buy it and pull off my bumper only to find out the mounting is slightly different between the model years. So scratch this idea. ADD has a nice one, but I'm not willing to pay $1800 for a new bumper.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Well...called RC to get some more details on the bumper and found out it won't work on the '21. Well, it might, but they won't say officially that it does. And I don't want to buy it and pull off my bumper only to find out the mounting is slightly different between the model years. So scratch this idea. ADD has a nice one, but I'm not willing to pay $1800 for a new bumper.
Bummer!

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I'd just buff it. You're never going to get rid of it completely that way, but you should be able to make it barely noticeable.

Sponsored

GrandpaD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Platinum PB 4x4 6.5 Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired
You said "someone recently hit my bumper". Wouldn't that "someone's" insurance company be responsible for repair/replace?

Raptorz

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger GT

IMG_0395.jpeg
img_3096.jpg
Do not repair,
the damage will be reported to ur carfax
And value of truck goes down,
Kindly, replace :)

OP
OP
RellIk&5

RellIk&5

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You said "someone recently hit my bumper". Wouldn't that "someone's" insurance company be responsible for repair/replace?
They didn’t stick around for me to get their info.

sippy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 f150 platinum
If do you dt repair...go to a body shop that wont report it to carfax. I had a small repair once...asked if it would show on CF...was told by BS that if I paid out of pocket...not insurance... it wouldn't show. This was a small independent shop....that did great work.
Sponsored