Sponsored

We need a misery index.... to settle this once and for all!

DANJENS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford e350, Ford Fusion
Please note the following is meant to be a bit of levity from an old fool...

Given that many of us including myself come here to lament our common plight I pose the philosophical question. (that most of you have probably thought of to yourselves)

Given Fords current commodity restraint nightmare: Is it the time from order to delivery that means you suffered more or the time from build start to delivery?
Example: Who is higher in the misery index?
1) The guy who waits 6 months to get a build date watching others who ordered months after him get fulfilled first and then gets a truck in a week?
Or
2) The guy who waits 2 months from order for a build date, gets excited to have his build and then waits 4 months on hold to get their truck?

:unsure:This keeps coming up over and over in threads. We need a Misery index so we can decide fairly without people getting offended.

Should we add a scale of need so we can determine who deserved their truck first?
How do we decide what to do with those who have dealers who helped them make changes to their truck so they got them earlier?

(Make a good argument for why your case is better and I will bless you with my pity. :ROFLMAO:)

In the end, it's Ford's ordering, manufacturing, communication and fulfilment process that seems merciless to all of us who appear to fall between the cracks one way or the other. Then again, they never made me any promises to either start or complete a build in any reasonable time.

Next weeks philosophical question: Is ETA a four letter word that Ford's Chat uses on us?

I 🙏 for all the undelivered orders out there right now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DANJENS

DANJENS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford e350, Ford Fusion
If you mean orderd MY21, I am. If you mean a MY21 got built half way and is still on hold well then we need to come up with a scale for that too. 😉

Majorplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I’m pretty high on the miserable scale because I’ve been driving around in Louisiana heat with no ac for about 4 weeks waiting on my truck.

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
@DANJENS, thanks for the prompt. Misery loves company! ;) I understand the current market conditions and that there is limited inventory due to supply chain issues. Ford has not been class-leading in navigating the situation.

Sponsored

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Option 3:

3.) Folks on chip hold from January wishing they would be getting there trucks this month with no end in site.

OP
OP
DANJENS

DANJENS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford e350, Ford Fusion
Option 3:

3.) Folks on chip hold from January wishing they would be getting there trucks this month with no end in site.
That is a tough one. I get that it is tough being on hold and we should acknowledge that. We also should compensate those who waited in misery while the builds were scheduled months before theirs despite being ordered several months after.

I propose a Ford Inspired Misery Index (FIMI not FOMO) scale as follows:
1 point for every week from order to Blend Date
1 extra point for every month beyond 12 weeks you wait for production (because it is tough when you order and tons of people order after you and get scheduled while your stuck with nothin.)
1 point for every time your build Start date is actually pushed back (not completion date but build date cause Ford told you it would start production.......)
1 Point for every week you spend in production
1 point for every month you spend on hold (chip/factory/ etc. cause it sucks to have your vehicle sitting in a lot while others pass you buy)
1 point for every week you spend waiting for delivery once it is produced.
5 points for every option Ford removed from your planned build.

So for me 38 weeks from order to actual blend date
plus 4 months in what I would call an excess of waiting to be scheduled
Plus 1 point for 1 blend date push back
plus 7 points (and counting) for in production
plus 1 point for bein on hold for 1 month (actually 1.9 months so in a few days 2)
Plus 5 points for removal of active park assist option

My FIMI is 56

Just going with months or weeks since order doesn't seem to pay tribute to the misery some have had to endure.

Now SIMA or Self Induced Misery Index is

1 point for every time you check Ford tracking more than once a day.
1 point for every time you check Ordertrack.app more than once a day.
1 Point every time you look up your window sticker beyond once a week.
1 Point looking up your sipping tracker more than once per day.
10 points every time you do two of the above in one day.
20 points every time you communicate with a Ford source: chat, Marketing, dealer, etc.
50 more points if you did it before the last ETA they gave you
100 points every time you check with more than one source just for laughs
1000 points if you check with more than one source and expect them to be the same.
1000 points if you check online for a build similar to yours
10,000 points if you have ever gotten into a pissing match over who has had the hardest wait for their truck (is this to low?)

My SIMA is around 500,000 just from refreshing ordertrack.app and looking at this website.

On a slightly more serious note: Louisiana without AC and only a 1 day delay in truck delivery rates very high on the misery index to me. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
5 points for every option Ford removed from your planned build.
Would LED License plate lights, ambient LED cup holder lights, ambient LED glove box light, ambient media bin LED, box links, digital temperature HVAC controls, and LED bed lights fall into this category?

OP
OP
DANJENS

DANJENS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford e350, Ford Fusion
Would LED License plate lights, ambient LED cup holder lights, ambient LED glove box light, ambient media bin LED, box links, digital temperature HVAC controls, and LED bed lights fall into this category?
If they were on the order confirmation sheet when you ordered it and they mandatory deleted them (ie you didn't volunteer to remove them to get a better build date) then you have some FIMI.

I was inspired by some of the bigger functions like: active park assist, auto/start stop removal, active motion, 360 cameras, and a whole color of seats that they just stopped making. ( cause there is a brown dye shortage in the US. ) You get the idea.

It does seem more unfair if people ordered after you but got the features on their truck cause they got produced sooner. IMHO Ford should be building 1st orders in 1st out with their commodity constraints.

In the case of others ordering after you but getting a feature you don's we could increase the misery index. Say 10 points. What do you think?:giggle:

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Someone should develop an app to calculate this!

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Just to be clear. Calling it a "Fords current commodity restraint nightmare" is not really correct. Everyone has the same issue.

Go to any manufacturers web site and you will see the same message. RAM, Mercades, GM, dont matter.

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just to be clear. Calling it a "Fords current commodity restraint nightmare" is not really correct. Everyone has the same issue.

Go to any manufacturers web site and you will see the same message. RAM, Mercades, GM, dont matter.

My dad placed an order in February for a fully loaded Sierra Denali and took delivery last month. He'll have to take it into the dealer to get something added (can't remember what), but isn't out features that he ordered permanently.

Others may be facing similar issues, but they appear to be navigating them better.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
My plight is a bit of my own fault. I have a camper, so I need a truck. When I got my production date I gambled and sold my tow vehicle. I lost that bet. I will enter 2 months of chip hell next week. This journey haunts me every minute of the day sometimes...

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
My dad placed an order in February for a fully loaded Sierra Denali and took delivery last month. He'll have to take it into the dealer to get something added (can't remember what), but isn't out features that he ordered permanently.

Others may be facing similar issues, but they appear to be navigating them better.
Just like some people order a f150 and received truck in 2 months. 1 sample out of 500k means nothing. I called 2 RAM dealers. Both said 6 months on an order.
Same with chevy.

OP
OP
DANJENS

DANJENS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford e350, Ford Fusion
Don't know which Ram dealers were actually called but I have a friend who works at Suburban Chrysler in Troy, MI. We live just down the road from the Sterling Heights Ram assembly plant and she has been trying to get me to switch to the dark side (unsuccessfully) since I ordered. Since she was over for dinner tonight I fact checked some of the claims on how long it takes to get a ram. They currently tell their customers the wait on orders is 2- 3 months. But...

She just got a shipment of trucks this week from orders in LATE MARCH including several Laramies, a couple fully loaded Rebels and a limited longhorn. They have no outstanding orders from before March.

None of them were altered from the original build order. ie They all have rams version of active park, 360 cameras etc......

They have only had a few pushed back but not more than once since January and most often they come earlier cause Dodge over-estimates how far out they are for build dates.

They all were assigned VIN and build dates the day the order was signed. They started the VIN assignment and build date assignment at some point last year cause they know Ford is struggling with it.

They do have lots with unchipped vehicles on them but they are the fleet orders and are almost all white standard cab or base model crew cabs that are waiting for chips while the priority is to ordered vehicles.

She said Dodge is making a concerted effort to communicate cause they feel they are in a position to erode Fords market share.

SO yep this is a Ford problem. That said I would still rather have a powerboost F150 than a Ram. So I will continue to accrue FIMI and SIMI.
Sponsored