Saltydriver

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat Powerboost
Hello, I hope all is well,

Has anyone had this warning message show up? This happened when I got into the truck this evening to back it into the garage. Along with the shift system fault message came a yellow wrench on the dash. After parking it, I waited an hour and went back out to truck and got the same message upon starting again. It is a 2021 powerboost with 24k.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor, 2020 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Firefighter
Same exact thing happened to me last night and is still doing it this morning. Calling dealer this morning. 2023 Raptor with 2,800 miles.

OP
OP
Saltydriver

Saltydriver

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same exact thing happened to me last night and is still doing it this morning. Calling dealer this morning. 2023 Raptor with 2,800 miles.
Very weird. Are you still going to drive it?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Hello, I hope all is well,

Has anyone had this warning message show up? This happened when I got into the truck this evening to back it into the garage. Along with the shift system fault message came a yellow wrench on the dash. After parking it, I waited an hour and went back out to truck and got the same message upon starting again. It is a 2021 powerboost with 24k.

Thanks in advance
Without knowing the exact DTC your truck is throwing, it could be a number of things. But, this SSM would be a possible place for your dealer to start.

SSM 51950 2021-2023 F-150 - 3.5L PowerBoost - Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Lamp With DTC P084B In The PCM
Some 2021-2023 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L PowerBoost engine may exhibit an illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) lamp with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P084B stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01B Automatic Transmission - 10-Speed Automatic Transmission – 10R80 MHT, Diagnosis and Testing, DTC Chart and Pinpoint Tests - 3.5L V6 PowerBoost (CN), Pinpoint Test K has recently been updated to provide new direction for DTC P084B. Refer to the WSM, Section 307-01B Automatic Transmission - 10-Speed Automatic Transmission – 10R80 MHT, Diagnosis and Testing, DTC Chart and Pinpoint Tests - 3.5L V6 PowerBoost (CN), Pinpoint Test K for applicable diagnosis

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Very weird. Are you still going to drive it?
I wish I could drive it. Truck will not shift and the shifter automatically goes back to park every time I try I now have a paperweight.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Saltydriver

Saltydriver

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wish I could drive it. Truck will not shift and the shifter automatically goes back to park every time I try I now have a paperweight.
I took mine to dealer and they gave me a loaner. Curious to see how long this takes to get fixed

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I had that. I discovered that it was related to warmup of the transmission. The real cause was a folded over o-ring in the transmission allowing leakage around it. Once all was at operating temperature it went away. Dealer worked it, found it, fixed it and no more problems.

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
I took mine to dealer and they gave me a loaner. Curious to see how long this takes to get fixed
Samesies. Just got it towed to the dealer and was put in a loaner. I will report back when I know what happened.

OP
OP
Saltydriver

Saltydriver

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Samesies. Just got it towed to the dealer and was put in a loaner. I will report back when I know what happened.
Just got a text saying it’s done.

“Good afternoon. The vehicle is finished. It was the gear shifter module that was giving you so many issues. I am so sorry that was happening to you. But I am glad it is fixed and you can pick it up at your convivence”

OP
OP
Saltydriver

Saltydriver

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had that. I discovered that it was related to warmup of the transmission. The real cause was a folded over o-ring in the transmission allowing leakage around it. Once all was at operating temperature it went away. Dealer worked it, found it, fixed it and no more problems.
They are saying mine was the gear shift module fwiw

Sponsored

OP
OP
Saltydriver

Saltydriver

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You know... there are so many things in that 10 speed transmission that nothing would surprise me...
Exactly! I’m thinking about selling. I can’t be convinced this truck isn’t going to be constant issues as it ages. If I’m having these kind of issues at two years old and 24k miles I’m terrified to think what happens when it’s 6 years old with 75k on it

OP
OP
Saltydriver

Saltydriver

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any update on what they said your issue was?

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Any update on what they said your issue was?
I have not heard anything form the dealership yet. I will bet sure to reply here once I find out the cause.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Good morning. Could you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of the Ford dealer you are working with? I would like to take a closer look into this on my end!
Sponsored