Sponsored

Rubberized Undercoating

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I’m in the snow belt. Usually leave my frames untouched and they’ve really been rusting after 3 yrs, then pretty bad looking at 7+.
I have used fluid film on the last truck, this time on the 22, used amsoil hd metal protector. Really like how it went down and dryed on there
Sponsored

Reactions: 780

Kalidor

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB King Ranch
Occupation
Network Engineer
Got a quote from local shop in VA.. damn prices around here suck..

"To undercoat your F-150 in Value Guard Undercoating it will be $799.00 and i will need your truck here for 2 days."

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost

"To undercoat your F-150 in Value Guard Undercoating it will be $799.00 and i will need your truck here for 2 days."
For that price, I’d get two cans, that would run you a whopping $40. throw on latex gloves and go to town.

Last edited:

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP

I am in VA too, Richmond area and I think I was quoted around $600 for Valugard 104 about 6 months ago. If it ends up $800 then I will start to really looking hard at doing it myself. I want to use Cosmoline and Valugard 104 is a similar Wax/Oil based product so it has some longevity. Coatings like Fluid Film that are more oil based work great if you do not mind redoing it every year. I am too old and I do not have a facility near me that rents out garage lift space, so its tough for me to go under the truck anymore.

With that said rattle cans of Cosmoline will work. I also found a 36" SEM can adapter that has a 360 degree nozzle on the end. It will work with the Cosmoline but it takes a little adapting to get it to work, but it does work fine. If not a little slow. This is perfect for spraying inside the box frame, the most important part.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer

Called 3 Line-x dealers near me. All 3 use different products.

1 uses Krown. $97 for undercarriage. Has to be applied yearly.

1 uses something called TST. Undercarriage $500. One time. Only life time warrenty if combined with inner panel. That costs $750. Seems like a waste given aluminum.

1 uses valueguard. Undercarriage $350 with lifetime warranty. This is where I will go once truck arrives. They do frame, inside and out, under body, rear diff, etc. No exhaust, driveshaft, brakes. They said they remove spare tire and wheel liners to spray.

Sponsored

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Called 3 Line-x dealers near me. All 3 use different products.

1 uses Krown. $97 for undercarriage. Has to be applied yearly.

1 uses something called TST. Undercarriage $500. One time. Only life time warrenty if combined with inner panel. That costs $750. Seems like a waste given aluminum.

1 uses valueguard. Undercarriage $350 with lifetime warranty. This is where I will go once truck arrives. They do frame, inside and out, under body, rear diff, etc. No exhaust, driveshaft, brakes. They said they remove spare tire and wheel liners to spray.
At $350 plus whatever it costs to spray my bed.

I was looking at minimum $100 for DIY and I wasn’t planning on dropping the spare.

Edit: Thanks for sharing, I will be making some calls to try and find valueguard.

Last edited:

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
At $350 plus whatever it costs to spray my bed.

I was looking at minimum $100 for DIY and I wasn’t planning on dropping the spare.

Edit: Thanks for sharing, I will be making some calls to try and find valueguard.
I was shocked how the 3 Line-x dealers had completly different stratagies/products for undercoating. I was expecting it to be like the bed liner.....consistant between dealers. Happy one uses Valueguard.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Just to add a little information to this thread. Many LineX places that I researched used that VG 104. This is good but if you can find a place that uses VG 160 (Military Grade) that is better. That appears to be the VG (Valugard) product this is the most similar to Cosmoline.

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
I was heavily leaning toward valugard undercoating from linex for my recently acquired 22. A few things are giving me some hesitation and now I'm leaning woolwax (similar to fluid film) with an annual touch up package.

1) there is zero online published info on the US warranty - the lifetime warranty (for new vehciles) is a selling point to me but lack of details widely available is a concern. I have asked the local linex for the details and I'm awaiting a response.

The Canadian valugard warranty is posted online. In Canada the new car warranty is 7 years and requires consumers to renew the warranty every 3 years. Not a touch up to the application, but an administrative step that many consumers won't follow through on and therfore avoid warranty claims.

This tells me that the product may breakdown after 7 years in high salt areas. I'm not doing undercoating/ protection with the first 7 years in mind.

2) I'm unsure If the adhesives in the product harden. FAQs claim product will not freeze, crack, pocket and fail like outdated “rubberized” undercoats. However, if there are adhesives likely holding it on, there always a chance it will break down in areas. Longterm it seems like it could possibly accelerate rust in certain areas if there is a failure point.

I like the idea of being able to scrape away product in typical trouble spots to see the condition of the metal.

3) The company offers many products to installers and dealers (often under private labels). They make their paint sealant product sound sexy too; yet, I know that paint sealant is something that I can do in a few hours, with more thorough prep, than what the dealer finance is selling for $600. They advertise sealant as years of protection without the need to wax your car. This is not ceramic coating, it's merely a synthetic wax not disimilar to products at autozone for $30.

The install guide has the same estimated time (30 minutes) for the paint sealant and undercoating products.

4) the reputation of rubberized undercoats (suxh as Ziebart) is not great. Should one decide to sell not sure that the purchaser will see this as a pro or a con regardless of if this product is different. They may wonder what types of problems could be underneath the coating.

---

Im definetly over think all of this trying to "do the right thing," for long term protection. I've read perhaps every forum post and marketing material online trying to learn how to protect from corrosion for years 15+.

- TLDR, paralysis by analysis leading to woolwax rather than any undercoating that forms a "lifetime" bond on the surface.

Last edited:

oncechance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, 302A, FX4, 3.5 EB, 6.5', Max Tow
I had Krown done on my new 22'. Yes, yearly application but I like all research that I have done.

Sponsored

Coreytrevor

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Forgive me if this has been covered. We have been faithful to oil spraying our other vehicle to great result. With the new Powerboost I'm wondering about following the same yearly process but I do hear the battery cooling fans run off and on and I see the inverter tucked underneath as well. I'm a little concerned what overspray and the resulting dust and dirt accumulation might do to the ability of these components to cool. Has anyone done their Powerboost equipped truck and if so what has your experience been. I'm in Canada and salt up here likely as for some of the northern areas of the US is pretty prevalent. Thanks for any feedback.
Hey sorry I know this is an old thread. Just curious what you ended up doing with your PB! Did you get it krown? I’m also in Canada, Ontario to be exact so experience the same issues… I have had previous vehicles krown and always had good results. I am a little hesitant with the PB though, I’ve spoken to a couple different krown locations and one said they don’t do hybrids. And ford service told me if they spray the sensors on the bottom and plug them it will void the warranty. Have also heard mixed reviews about getting oil sprayed on all the electrical components underneath… krown says they’ve done hybrids in the past and won’t be an issue. But it’s a bit of a risk

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Hey sorry I know this is an old thread. Just curious what you ended up doing with your PB! Did you get it krown? I’m also in Canada, Ontario to be exact so experience the same issues… I have had previous vehicles krown and always had good results. I am a little hesitant with the PB though, I’ve spoken to a couple different krown locations and one said they don’t do hybrids. And ford service told me if they spray the sensors on the bottom and plug them it will void the warranty. Have also heard mixed reviews about getting oil sprayed on all the electrical components underneath… krown says they’ve done hybrids in the past and won’t be an issue. But it’s a bit of a risk
The short answer is I don’t yet have a resolve. Short term I’ve gone under and sprayed rustproofing on local areas of the frame where I see a slight dusting of rust starting but have not yet gotten a full spray. With fall on us I’m considering see if they can just spray the interior of the frame rails but have not reached out. I paid for extended warranty and I’m reluctant to ever give them a reason to withhold it if ever needed .

Coreytrevor

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
The short answer is I don’t yet have a resolve. Short term I’ve gone under and sprayed rustproofing on local areas of the frame where I see a slight dusting of rust starting but have not yet gotten a full spray. With fall on us I’m considering see if they can just spray the interior of the frame rails but have not reached out. I paid for extended warranty and I’m reluctant to ever give them a reason to withhold it if ever needed .
Yeah that’s fair. I have heard Llll a hard time trusting that they won’t spray the sensors or it cause some sort of issue and void warranty. I am sure Ford would take any chance they can to not cover something under warranty so I am just going to roll the dice for now

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I have done the Line-X undercoating on my last 7 vehicles. It helps to seal (no rust) and deaden road noise. Never had any issues.

2021 F150 Undercoating 1.jpg

2021 F150 Undercoating Back Wheel 1 - 21_05 29.jpg

2021 F150 Undercoating 6.jpg
I did my 22 that was 3 months old still clean as a whistle underneath with linex. Happy with the job they did. Of course time will tell.