Sponsored

Roush (Fox 2.0) vs. Ford Performance (Bilstein)

GenXeration

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150, Platinum, 5.0 4x4, Agate Black, BAP
I am looking for feedback from real world experience testing both Roush and Ford Performance suspension upgrades on the F-150. I currently have the Roush kit with Fox 2.0 on my 2023 F-150 Platinum with 5.0. I do have the Fox coilovers adjusted for 2.5" in front but my issue with the Roush Fox kit is stiffness. When I hit a pothole or uneven pavement, I really feel it! I'm considering swapping them for the Ford Performance kit adjusted to 2.5". Those of you who have tried both, which would you say provides the better ride?

Ford F-150 Roush (Fox 2.0) vs. Ford Performance (Bilstein) IMG_0747
Sponsored

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
I would highly doubt the Bilsteins would ride better than the Fox 2.0's unless there's some sort of drastic geometry difference between them. Also, it's weird to hear they ride that poorly on a Fox coilover as that's usually not the case. What are you running for tires and tire pressure?

OP
OP

GenXeration

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150, Platinum, 5.0 4x4, Agate Black, BAP
I would highly doubt the Bilsteins would ride better than the Fox 2.0's unless there's some sort of drastic geometry difference between them. Also, it's weird to hear they ride that poorly on a Fox coilover as that's usually not the case. What are you running for tires and tire pressure?
I am running Micky Thompson Baja Boss AT tires at about 33 lb. The Ram I had before this F-150 had the Mopar Fox coilovers with Nitto RG tires and it rode like a dream. I'd really like to get a better ride quality from my F-150

loganlaporte

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was 2021 F150 Powerboost now 2022 PB Platinum
Word of caution: the ford performance kit has been perpetually backordered since about August. I ended up doing a bilstein 5100/5160 combo.

AHenry014

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A
I have personal experience with the 2015-20 Ford Performance (FP) Fox 2.0's and the 21+ Fox 2.0's on my 2022 XLT. I have read that the Roush kit is the same as the off the shelf 15-20 Fox 2.0's with added roost guards. For the sake of clarity here, I am going to talk to three versions; the "FP kit", the "Roush Kit", and the "21+ kit", which covers what I have run to what you are running. The FP kit has 550lb springs vs the 650lb spring on the Roush kit, along with revised dampening. The FP kit is intended to be a more comfortable kit over the Roush kit. I ran the FP kit for about 6k miles before replacing it with the 21+ kit. I thought the small/sharp bump compliance to be quite lacking and it had a jarring ride. The 21+ kit has a 450lb spring and revised dampening to agree with the 21+ suspension geometry. I can say that I am quite happy with my decision to go with the 21+ kit on my truck. I feel that it rides quite a bit better than the FP kit I was running. The FP kit rode a bit rough for me, so I can imagine the Roush kit rides even that much worse, especially since you have them adjusted up, outside of their specified range.

As always, the higher you go, the rougher it will ride. If you can stand to drop it down a bit, then the ride should only get better. Also, LT rated tires, especially anything over a load range C, will ride a TON rougher than the standard P-rated tires your truck came with. It sounds like youve already lowered your tire pressures, so if you plan to keep the tires, all you can do is either lower the front suspension to obtain better ride quality, or replace it with something else. My advise would be to look at the 21+ Fox 2.0's, as the Bilstein 6112/5160's are on perpetual backorder (which also means the FP bilstein kit). I suspect you'll see quite the ride improvement.

Also, if you want a better deal than advertised, PM stage3 through this forum for forum pricing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Pretty much to echo was AHenry014 said - if the spring load rating is that much different then I would imagine yeah, the 21+ kit will ride substantially better. Also yes, if you have them things maxed out they are gonna ride like dirt. Also yes, running an LT tire, of which I'd imagine the ones you have are load range D, will ride way rougher than the stock P rated tires.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Ditto.... I have the 21+ FP kit set at 2.0" (default setting). I'll add that when I went from a 305/55R20 LT (Generals) to a 305/55R20 SL (NRG) night and day difference in performance, ride quality and handling. Even at 33/35PSI I seemingly felt every pebble in the road on the Generals; I was miserable....

What I'm trying to say is, LT tires are heavy and stiff side walls.....maybe the tires aren't helping...

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Ditto.... I have the 21+ FP kit set at 2.0" (default setting). I'll add that when I went from a 305/55R20 LT (Generals) to a 305/55R20 SL (NRG) night and day difference in performance, ride quality and handling. Even at 33/35PSI I seemingly felt every pebble in the road on the Generals; I was miserable....

What I'm trying to say is, LT tires are heavy and stiff side walls.....maybe the tires aren't helping...
I always tell people only get the LT tires if you actually are planning on being offroad somewhere that you are worried about puncturing the tires, or if you are needing the proper load rating that would be an LT. They definitely ride a lot rougher and you have to keep them aired down to try and maintain a decent ride quality. More tire plies means a stiffer tire.
Sponsored