ATVT721

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX Supercab
Hey all,
My truck has developed an odd intermittent vibration, and I’m looking to see if anyone else has had this happen.

2023 XLT, only 590 miles. The vibration can be felt through the gas pedal, but not much through the steering wheel, and is noticeably audible. It doesn’t matter if the truck is under electric or gas power. It gets higher pitched as I speed up, lower as I slow down and sometimes will go away for a bit if I stop. It’s kind of tough to hear in the video, but it is quite noticeable in cab.

Any insight is much appreciated.
Sponsored

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
That sounds a lot like a bad bearing through my headphones. How fast were you driving in the video? Does the tone or volume change if you swerve back and forth while driving?

OP
OP

ATVT721

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX Supercab
I was going about 35 when the noise started this time. It’s started anywhere from 25-40. Once it starts though, it sticks around at any speed, and so far has gone away when i come to a stop at a light. I didn’t notice any real change in sound when steering, but I didn’t try swerving.

Kevfin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Occupation
TSP coordinator
Alex, I have seen / heard a similar issue with my F-150 sport, I'm around 1500kms in now. For me it's definitely not a bearing or balance issue, it seems to be activated on colder mornings which leads me to believe it's electronic? For me the sound activates on / off at random, seems to be lower speeds but I have 5 - 10 minute drive before I hit the high-way so? Currently contacting local Ford dealer to have inspected. If I hear or find anything out I'll sure let you know, would appreciate the opposite, cheers!

slow3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Hey all,
My truck has developed an odd intermittent vibration, and I’m looking to see if anyone else has had this happen.

2023 XLT, only 590 miles. The vibration can be felt through the gas pedal, but not much through the steering wheel, and is noticeably audible. It doesn’t matter if the truck is under electric or gas power. It gets higher pitched as I speed up, lower as I slow down and sometimes will go away for a bit if I stop. It’s kind of tough to hear in the video, but it is quite noticeable in cab.

Holy crap, mine does the same thing! My truck is only a few months old and has 1200 miles. It does it completely randomly, and not very often. It will stop by itself within a mile or two. Does not correlate to elec/gas/throttle position etc.

Wild!

Sponsored

slow3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Bumping this - anyone else?

OP
OP

ATVT721

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX Supercab
Bumping this - anyone else?
I dropped mine off this afternoon to be looked at this week. The service writer seemed pretty convinced it had to do with either the IWE or maybe a vacuum leak in the 4wd system.
Next time it happens to you, trying putting the truck into 4wd. If it goes away, it sounds like you are having the exact same issue. Luckily, he also said that the parts that need be replaced are pretty readily available, if that is in fact the issue.

slow3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I dropped mine off this afternoon to be looked at this week. The service writer seemed pretty convinced it had to do with either the IWE or maybe a vacuum leak in the 4wd system.
Next time it happens to you, trying putting the truck into 4wd. If it goes away, it sounds like you are having the exact same issue. Luckily, he also said that the parts that need be replaced are pretty readily available, if that is in fact the issue.
Are there IWE in the power boosts? I thought they got rid of them. Hmm, interesting. Thanks!

Maineiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT
Did you ever get this figured out? My truck is doing the exact same thing. Dealer replaced both IWE’s and both hubs but it still makes the noise. They are trying to tell me the sound is normal for the PB…

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Did you ever get this figured out? My truck is doing the exact same thing. Dealer replaced both IWE’s and both hubs but it still makes the noise. They are trying to tell me the sound is normal for the PB…
I have a 2023 XLT 2.7L that started doing this exact same thing the first week that I got it. It happened every day or two or three then went away for a bit. But now that it’s gotten a lot colder here(below 0) it’s happening again.
I already posted another thread about this. I’ve spoken to almost ten different dealerships and not a single one knew what I was talking about even after they saw the video I posted.

Today it started happening at highway speeds but it only lasts for a few seconds.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ATVT721

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX Supercab
It’s at the dealership now being looked at/ repaired. They haven’t told me what issue they’ve found.

Maineiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT
Keep me posted. I’d love to share a solution with my dealer to get this fixed. I drive on the highway 70% of the time and would have to get rid of that truck if this is normal behavior.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hey all,

Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your F-150 concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

2023Navigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lincoln Navigator
Hello,

I own a 2023 Navigator L and it has the same front end components as the F150. The problem you have is with the front differential. It is not the wheel bearing. It will take the dealership 2 to 4 weeks to fix and most likely they will rebuild the unit...not replace it.

The true test is to open up the front diff. Are there metal flakes in the fluid? Also take a stethoscope to the diff while on the lift.

Ford has been having severe issues with the front diffs. In one case there were new F150s being loaded on to a car carrier and the diffs were so faulty they were leaking on the carrier.

Here is my paperwork from the dealership. Took 1 month to fix and I think the issue is coming back again. Ford took so long with it they sent me a $1500 gift card for my trouble.

Ford F-150 Rotational vibration/ noise in front end Screenshot_20231223_202848_Gallery
Ford F-150 Rotational vibration/ noise in front end Screenshot_20231223_202816_Gallery
Ford F-150 Rotational vibration/ noise in front end Screenshot_20231223_202757_Gallery

Hfyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB
Hello,

I own a 2023 Navigator L and it has the same front end components as the F150. The problem you have is with the front differential. It is not the wheel bearing. It will take the dealership 2 to 4 weeks to fix and most likely they will rebuild the unit...not replace it.

The true test is to open up the front diff. Are there metal flakes in the fluid? Also take a stethoscope to the diff while on the lift.

Ford has been having severe issues with the front diffs. In one case there were new F150s being loaded on to a car carrier and the diffs were so faulty they were leaking on the carrier.

Here is my paperwork from the dealership. Took 1 month to fix and I think the issue is coming back again. Ford took so long with it they sent me a $1500 gift card for my trouble.

Screenshot_20231223_202848_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231223_202816_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231223_202757_Gallery.jpg
Its unfortunate that you had issues so early on with your front diff but I don't think what you experienced is what is taking place here. I also had this happen on my truck for the first time today. It lined up with the first time I’ve driven it in sub-zero temps and this did not occur while in 4H.

I’m fairly confident it has something to do with the temperature as it started with only moderate throttle input, maintaining speed, barely touching the gas with a cold engine. Once I slowed down in just stopped so it seems like its something that is able to turn on and off in some manner.
Sponsored