• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Resale value

thegangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 F150, 2017 Model S
Used to be you lost 20% when you drove it off the lot, but of course it's way different these days. Lets say Ford doesn't require you to agree not to sell your brand new $80k Lariat - what do you think the resale value would be on day 1?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Used to be you lost 20% when you drove it off the lot, but of course it's way different these days. Lets say Ford doesn't require you to agree not to sell your brand new $80k Lariat - what do you think the resale value would be on day 1?
Given the low supply in the first year, you could probably get some someone to pay you over MSRP, but it would be a challenge as they don't get the tax credit (you do).

Regardless of the potential profit, I couldn't do it - just too unethical for me. So many people want these trucks and are stretching budgets to make it work. Don't be a scalper and make it so only the rich can get them. If you don't want it, let it go to someone who does.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I'd give you $72500 for it.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
If someone offered $100k i’d probably take it.

Sponsored

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
Im hoping like the Bronco for a 25k plus premium, and with the tight supply that might even be short. Ill find out the day mine lands and let you know.

OP
OP

thegangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 F150, 2017 Model S
Given the low supply in the first year, you could probably get some someone to pay you over MSRP, but it would be a challenge as they don't get the tax credit (you do).

Regardless of the potential profit, I couldn't do it - just too unethical for me. So many people want these trucks and are stretching budgets to make it work. Don't be a scalper and make it so only the rich can get them. If you don't want it, let it go to someone who does.
The double tax wouldn’t be fun either - sales and income tax on the other sale.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect

I completely agree with you. I wouldn't actively attempt to sell it. I was not lucky enough to get one (we were limited income during the pandemic and have just recently recovered), but if I got one and someone walked up to me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse? I would probably take it.

I don't consider that scalping. I consider that taking advantage of a fortuitous situation. For me they would have to offer a lot though.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

Sponsored

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Eternal Vestibule
People are flipping their day 1 Hummers for 200k+ . (asking haven't seen them sell yet)

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
In NY state you would be near $90,000 after tax and fees on an ER Lariat. Sell for $100k, that means you make $6,500 after you get taxed on the profit. That's less than the $7,500 you won't be able to claim since you didn't buy the car to own it. If you want to play IRS roulette, then maybe a $100k sale would be worth it.... but now you need to go buy another inflated value vehicle with the $14,000 you just (half illegally) pocketed.

$125,000 via private sale may make it worth it. This amount at an auction sale and you're losing the auction house cut as well, so even then probably not a win.

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales

If you dont buy it you think the dealership wont be marking it way up?

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
People are flipping their day 1 Hummers for 200k+ . (asking haven't seen them sell yet)
If Ford really manufactures 20k vehicles this model year, that will be 20x the amount of Hummers that are made. If MY23 starts rolling off the line before year end, even less comparable.

I wanted a Dodge Demon, but couldn't get one anywhere near MSRP when it came out. The 50% mark up at the time (now worse) is due to the fact they made 3k of them. Unless Ford grossly overestimated its production numbers, the Hummer EV is a unicorn versus the Lightning.

KniceHit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L
It would be years to replace it and it's not even as if you can replace it if that is your only ride. They better have a sweet trade in. Replacement cost starts at 90K on a Lariat ER. That is the starting point plus what your driving now. "Sure I'll take $90K..and that 2020 Raptor you just pulled up in." ;)
I would still have to think about, I like new gadgets way too much.
Sponsored