Sponsored

RAPTOR OWNERS...Traffic Jam Assist

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
Raptor owners, your trucks have Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) enabled. You also have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and I'm pretty sure you have Lane Centering (LC). Your trucks don't have BlueCruise. My F150 has BlueCruise, ACC, and LC. I don't have TJA. I've driven in heavy interstate stop and go traffic no hands no feet. My question for you Raptor owners is: what exactly does Traffic Jam Assist do? How do you turn it on or is it always on and just works when required?

I'm thinking it is just a slow speed BlueCruise. Going above a certain speed shuts the TJA off. Am I right?
Sponsored

Last edited:

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
not sure
but for me in my normal 150 with everything but BC it has several times re-routed me if i have a planned destination int he trucks nav system, when there are traffic jams and or road issues
not sure what triggers it, but it has done it often to route me around back ups in highway

OP
OP
oneinch

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm quite sure that TJA has nothing to do with navigation. TJA is an ADAS (advance driver assistance system).

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
let me add
i have full time internet via att data plan on truck modem. i use trucks connected navigation
phone is connected to play music and answer calls, no waze or anything else for navigation

every time it intervenes to re route, it gives a brief screen dialogue box to indicate a change is needed, i can ignore it or keep going,
i ignored the one in dec on hwy I20 and the then i got this box in my nav screen. co-incidence or not it was funny to indicate hospital because i ignored prompts to exit earlier to avoid a car crash road closure

Ford F-150 RAPTOR OWNERS...Traffic Jam Assist fl trip  (7)

ThickGatorade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Tremor, Bronco Raptor
I believe TJA is the result of ACC+S&G and LCA working together. I believe it gets exchanged for Highway Assist when you have Blue Cruise. It's almost 10 years old at this point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
oneinch

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My suspicion is that TJA is just a slow speed BlueCruise. Acceleration, braking, and steering is done by the TJA system. Above (say 25 mph for example) the TJA system cuts out (really just the steering part). ACC and LC still work, but LC will require hands on the steering wheel or at least a regular giggle of it by the driver. This is just my suspicion. I was hoping a Raptor owner would chime in and set the record straight.

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
I believe TJA is the result of ACC+S&G and LCA working together. I believe it gets exchanged for Highway Assist when you have Blue Cruise. It's almost 10 years old at this point.
@ThickGatorade is correct. Its all a little confusing as the 21 Raptors had the Bluecruise prep but never saw light. They have the TJA that as mentioned above is Adaptive cruise with stop/go, Lane centering and Pre collision Assist. It has pretty much morphed into the Bluecruise with hands on.

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Does TJA steer the truck hands-free at low traffic jam speeds?
There is no hands free with TJA. It will center the truck but it gives you the same warning to put your hands on the wheel if it notices you are not holding the wheel.

ThickGatorade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Tremor, Bronco Raptor
TJA I think was supposed to be hands free back in the day but nobody would buy off on it. They were using the "resume driving" feature to consider it semi-autonomous but still they couldn't get insurance companies to approve of hands free traffic jam driving.

Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
let me add
i have full time internet via att data plan on truck modem. i use trucks connected navigation
phone is connected to play music and answer calls, no waze or anything else for navigation

every time it intervenes to re route, it gives a brief screen dialogue box to indicate a change is needed, i can ignore it or keep going,
i ignored the one in dec on hwy I20 and the then i got this box in my nav screen. co-incidence or not it was funny to indicate hospital because i ignored prompts to exit earlier to avoid a car crash road closure

fl trip  (7).jpg
just as an aside the att data plan has nothing to do with the “connected car stuff” like maps etc. that uses fords own data line so to speak.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Raptor owners, your trucks have Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) enabled. You also have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and I'm pretty sure you have Lane Centering (LC). Your trucks don't have BlueCruise. My F150 has BlueCruise, ACC, and LC. I don't have TJA. I've driven in heavy interstate stop and go traffic no hands no feet. My question for you Raptor owners is: what exactly does Traffic Jam Assist do? How do you turn it on or is it always on and just works when required?

I'm thinking it is just a slow speed BlueCruise. Going above a certain speed shuts the TJA off. Am I right?
Traffic Jam Assist is when the driver of a Raptor says forget this nonsense and takes off down the embankment to empty streets below…

OP
OP
oneinch

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There is no hands free with TJA. It will center the truck...
Well shoot-fire. That's just lane centering, though the order sheet doesn't say the Raptor has lane centering. I can't find any info from Ford that just really smacks you in the face explaining exactly what TJA is. I do know that '22 and '23 Raptor/Raptor R's are as-built with TJA and without Highway Assist (BlueCruise).

The '22 order sheet says the Raptor comes with:
FORD CO-PILOT360™ TECHNOLOGY
Adaptive Cruise Control with Traffic Jam Assist
● Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0
— Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
○ Pedestrian Detection
○ Forward Collison Warning
○ Dynamic Brake Support
— BLIS® with Cross-Traffic Alert and Trailer Tow Monitoring
— Lane-Keeping System
○ Lane-Keeping Alert
○ Lane-Keeping Aid
○ Driver Alert
— Rear View Camera with Dynamic Hitch Assist
— Auto High Beams
— Reverse Brake Assist
— Reverse Sensing System
— Post-Collision Braking

Nowhere does it mention lane centering.

The '23 order sheet says the Raptor comes with:
FORD CO-PILOT360™ TECHNOLOGY
● Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0
— Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
○ Pedestrian Detection
○ Forward Collison Warning
○ Dynamic Brake Support
— BLIS® with Cross-Traffic Alert and Trailer Tow Monitoring
— Lane-Keeping System
○ Lane-Keeping Alert
○ Lane-Keeping Aid
○ Driver Alert
— Rear View Camera with Dynamic Hitch Assist
— Auto High Beams
— Reverse Brake Assist
— Reverse Sensing System
— Post-Collision Braking
● Forward Sensing System

Again, nowhere does it mention lane centering.

Lane Centering is part of Co-Pilot360™ Active 2.0. This isn't on the order guide for either year for the Raptor.

The as-built for the '22 Raptor shows 706-01-01 8A58 A015 8E34. That first bold 8 is TJA enabled. That second bold 8 is Highway Assist disabled (BlueCruise, or at least the BlueCruise nanny camera). Interestingly, the '23 Raptor has the same as-built 706 line. Though the order sheet doesn't list TJA, it is enabled on the '23s.

Here is a couple of Ford videos that led me to believe, or at least suspect, that TJA was like a slow speed BlueCruise. These are older videos and a lot could have changed since then. This first video (Introducing Ford Traffic Jam Assist) shows the driver barely touching the wheel. It's more like he just has his hands at the ready. The second video (Ford Traffic Jam Assist - Semi Autonomous Driving) clearly shows hands free driving. The driver is shown with coffee in his left hand and right hand on his leg or resting on the center console.

From CarASDS.com:
"How Does Traffic Jam Assist Work?
In effect, Traffic Jam Assist is a Level 2 driver assistance system that combines the functionality of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and lane-centering assistance to form a traffic jam autopilot. In essence, it’s a lower-speed version of ACC intended to operate at speeds of 40 mph or less and bring the vehicle to a full stop.

This level of traffic jam assistance requires using a front-mounted radar sensor and cameras to detect traffic and lane markings and other sensors to detect the car in front. The system then uses this information to automatically brake, accelerate, adjust speed and steer the car. However, unlike ACC, which aims to maintain highway speeds, Traffic Jam Assist is designed to work in lower-speed traffic situations. Therefore, the driver doesn’t need to operate the gas pedal or brakes through heavily congested traffic but instead remains alert and ready to take over when needed."

A lot of automotive technology isn't developed by each manufacturer, but is instead developed by some tech company that offers it up for licensing. Manufacturers just license the very same technology that they just gift wrap in their own special way. TJA could be such a system.

Lastly, here's a Toyota USA video explaining their Traffic Jam Assist. Toyota clearly states verbally and with closed captioning that their system provides hands-free steering control with driver supervision. Granted, this is a Toyota video, but this is exactly what I think a Traffic Jam Assist technology should do. Hands-on lane centering is of no assistance at all really.

I know this has been a lengthy post. Hopefully a few of you find it mildly interesting. Man, I sure wish a Raptor owner would chime in. I figure they should know. Well, if they drive their Raptor in heavy traffic. Oh, one last thing. I've looked in different year owner manuals and couldn't find a mention of Traffic Jam Assist. You'd think the feature would be explained in the owner's manual.

Last edited:

capiche87

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB 701a 4x4; 1985 Ford Bronco II
Occupation
Veterinarian
I definitely was expecting something different on this thread. Traffic Jam Assist sounds like a made up feature.

I thought I was opening a thread with a Raptor running over cars in a traffic jam. Where’s the real-life monster jam!?

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
No raptor came with highway assist. What features they have are part of the Adaptive cruise control. What they name some of the features in modules doesn’t have to mean exactly what you may think. I think they just name Adaptive cruise with stop and go as TJA. Same as how Bluecruise is named Highway assist.
Sponsored