Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

21hybrid F150

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I received the dreaded wrench last week and Ford pass kindly let me know what was wrong later in the evening. Dealer got me in first thing next morning. About an hour later, the error cleared on its own. Service could not replicate it over a couple of days. Got PB back with service guys direct # in case error reappears. 3 days later got same wrench and error which once again, cleared on its own. Started to ponder what was similar to both days. Since I got the PB in late September, it has gone thru carwash 3-4x a week (monthly plan). both days the error appeared I had washed truck early AM and error came on in late afternoon. mentioned my suspicion to service advisor this morning when I dropped off the PB. So dealer ran it through car wash a few times. Just took the call. Water infiltrated the Power Control Module by the hybrid battery and shorted out the PCM. luckily PCM is not on backorder so should get installed tomorrow. Tech is a bit worried about the hybrid battery also being affected. We will know if a new battery is called for when service tears it all apart tomorrow. Thankful to forum as someone else had posted about car wash under body spray haf got into their wiring harness - helped get us closer to a real solution. truck was drivable, but MPG was staying under 20 with less battery miles than before.

Ford F-150 Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power Screenshot_20220302-084441_FordPass
Sponsored

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I received the dreaded wrench last week and Ford pass kindly let me know what was wrong later in the evening. Dealer got me in first thing next morning. About an hour later, the error cleared on its own. Service could not replicate it over a couple of days. Got PB back with service guys direct # in case error reappears. 3 days later got same wrench and error which once again, cleared on its own. Started to ponder what was similar to both days. Since I got the PB in late September, it has gone thru carwash 3-4x a week (monthly plan). both days the error appeared I had washed truck early AM and error came on in late afternoon. mentioned my suspicion to service advisor this morning when I dropped off the PB. So dealer ran it through car wash a few times. Just took the call. Water infiltrated the Power Control Module by the hybrid battery and shorted out the PCM. luckily PCM is not on backorder so should get installed tomorrow. Tech is a bit worried about the hybrid battery also being affected. We will know if a new battery is called for when service tears it all apart tomorrow. Thankful to forum as someone else had posted about car wash under body spray haf got into their wiring harness - helped get us closer to a real solution. truck was drivable, but MPG was staying under 20 with less battery miles than before.

Screenshot_20220302-084441_FordPass.jpg
hi there- were you able to get this resolved? My Powerboost is doing the exact same thing after going through the car wash. Any insights would be greatly appreciated, as the dealership seems a bit stuck.

OP
OP

21hybrid F150

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Hi Nick,

As of this weekend 3/6, the truck is sitting behind our dealer. My sales guy sent me text Friday letting me know that service was not able to start replacement part(s) work until Monday. FWIW - gave me a 19 F150 to drive while there. loaner is lifted 4" and has 30s. gets 14mpg if i baby it. if I ever get itch to mod my hybrid, I will remember driving this loaner and move on.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi Nick,

As of this weekend 3/6, the truck is sitting behind our dealer. My sales guy sent me text Friday letting me know that service was not able to start replacement part(s) work until Monday. FWIW - gave me a 19 F150 to drive while there. loaner is lifted 4" and has 30s. gets 14mpg if i baby it. if I ever get itch to mod my hybrid, I will remember driving this loaner and move on.
Hi there! If you'd like to, go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your preferred Ford dealer. I’d like to check into this powertrain malfunction for you. Thank you!

OP
OP

21hybrid F150

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
hi there- were you able to get this resolved? My Powerboost is doing the exact same thing after going through the car wash. Any insights would be greatly appreciated, as the dealership seems a bit stuck.
Nick - mine is the BECM, not the PCM the service advisor first thought. Tech says it was not car wash issues as completely dry in its box by the hybrid battery. they now theorize it was having issues all along just not bad enough to trigger the wrench. should have it back mid week as had to order correct module.

Sponsored

vinhdiesel

First Name
vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum
Hi there! If you'd like to, go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your preferred Ford dealer. I’d like to check into this powertrain malfunction for you. Thank you!
i also have the same problem and i had to tow my truck to frontier ford in stevens creek yesterday and they cant even diagnose it yet

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
i also have the same problem and i had to tow my truck to frontier ford in stevens creek yesterday and they cant even diagnose it yet
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

OP
OP

21hybrid F150

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Hi Ford,

I spoke with one of your social media managers by telephone yesterday evening. the service advisor updated me Monday afternoon with status. Truck should be back together on Wednesday 3/9 barring any additional findings.

thanks for reaching out though!

OP
OP

21hybrid F150

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Ford F-150 Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power output_image1646858734793

it is back together today. Tech had a lot to reprogram and update. Went and filled up gas tank this evening. Ran about half miles on battery where it was under 20% prior. Very small sample, but computer says 28mpg on the 5 mile drive home from Costco.

renffurt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Sales
My 2022 has 1,100 miles on it. About two weeks old. The day I drove it off the lot they ran it through the car wash and my parking / collision sensor went crazy for 24 hours. Now the POWERTRAIN malfunction light has turned on twice. First time it went away the next day. The dealer said keep an eye on it. It came on 48 hours later on my way to work. 70k truck shouldn’t have these issues.
going to the dealer in 5 days. Based on the forum, I’m not holding my breathe they will figure anything out.

Ford F-150 Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 2E5605EF-D3D7-4335-9CD5-F8F3A98B33CF

Sponsored

tylervaughan7

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.
I had a similar issue with my 2021 F150 ecoboost. Purchased 12/23/21! Only has 3000 miles.

was snowing / icy so decided to use 4H.. I clicked 4H and it gave the me powertrain failure and was in 2h normal mode and was really bad driving conditions for 2wd truck. I was so mad. It was pretty bad so I only drove it 4 miles. Parked It for 5 mins at a coffee shop. Came back out and started the truck and it was in 4H.

was very confused and frustrated.

then… when I drive it and there is a loud clicking sounds when it hits above 15 -20 mph… almost like it’s engaging into 4wd. But it’s not a smooth sound It didn’t sound good. When I say click I mean more bang. Super frustrated.

Mwathey515

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PB 3/14/21
Occupation
Retired
Just had this happen to me TODAY!
Taking my 2021 in Mon morn to drop off for diags.
Just turned 16k miles. Hope Ford has come up with an answer.

snapper9601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 4x4 Lariat 500A SCrew 2.7EB 145"
This happened to me last night, 20 days old and 456 miles on it.
2022 2.7 EB Lariat SCrew 4x4, ordered in April, got it on Aug. 9.
The Service Dept. where I bought it was already closed, so I called them this morning as soon as they opened. Soonest appointment they have is Friday morning.
No heavy use or towing, no 4x4 operation, etc. I'm still breaking it in. I had just gassed it up for the first time and just got on the highway. A message displayed on the instrument panel and the wrench light came on. I was 75 miles from home. The "What should I do" message said "Powertrain fault has been detected, contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible"... So I drove it in Reduced Power mode with no issues. No other noises or detectable malfunction.
I checked this morning, wrench light is still on. CEL is on now but wasn't last night.
We shall see....

Mkellg1

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I have a new F150 STX with 3100 miles and just had the above happen to me as well. Waiting for the dealership to get back to me. Pretty demoralized brand new truck is having issues. Thanks Ford!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have a new F150 STX with 3100 miles and just had the above happen to me as well. Waiting for the dealership to get back to me. Pretty demoralized brand new truck is having issues. Thanks Ford!
Hello, Marcus! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!
Sponsored