Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's a brand new truck with a semi-ambiguous error message. (It could be a lot of different things)

The post just before you was by a fella that had a bad HV battery. That is NOT a common thing to read on this forum.

Hopefully your dealership is just as efficient as his was and your truck will get diagnosed quickly and accurately.
Sponsored

Efoley74

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 4X4 Powerboost
Occupation
Director of Quality (Automotive)
I escalated to Ford and they have contacted my dealer and myself with the "fix" apparently this is a known issue on the Powerboost F150s

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Update as of today. The dealer called said there was a TSB out but it was not very clear it talks about a whole lot of connectors (wow), said this was going to take a significant amount of work. Said tec would have to remove the driveshaft, fuel tank, and exhaust to access a connector in the High Voltage System. Said they were going to start with that one since they have seen it before on another vehicle. I know this is the first problem I have had (only 1250 miles) but after reading about others I'm getting spooled up in my state's lemon laws.
I've long thought that connectors/plugs could be a significant source of problems. In my time in the nuclear Submarine Force one of the first checks we do when we get odd indications is to check them tightly seated. I've got a goodly numbers of miles on my truck and have only had several peeps related to the battery. Replaced the battery (12V) and not a single peep since. If you reflect on the demands of a moving production line when seating the multitude of plugs & connectors, the likelihood of a few getting seated improperly is high on any given truck... And if they can bounce, occasionally opening a circuit, the funny gremlins will crawl around in your truck... If I were a dealer, I'd have a dedicated tech to check all plugs/connectors seated properly for initial delivery of every vehicle... :)

empty wallet

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford edge titanium awd, 2010 f-150 4x4,
Occupation
retired aircraft mech.
2022 K/R 3.5, NON-POWERBOOST, truck is not powerboost however had exact same indications ,
trailer fault light, mil/check engine light and reduced power on ford pass... 2 dealership visits found ground cable with wire tape bound up around connection on firewall

Ford F-150 Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power download (3)

Ford F-150 Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power download (4)

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Just an aside, but what automated car wash did you use? I’d like to avoid it like the plague.

Sponsored

Efoley74

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 4X4 Powerboost
Occupation
Director of Quality (Automotive)
UPDATE:

Ford got involved and replaced the Vacuum Pressure sensor in the Transmission. I have taken it to high pressure car washes twice and driven about 200 miles no issues so far. Lets hope this is fixed.

OP
OP
Chasinsparks

Chasinsparks

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Sho, 2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired United States Army
Just an aside, but what automated car wash did you use? I’d like to avoid it like the plague.
Samson, for me it was any carwash that sprayed the underside, but also if it rained hard. Since they replaced the high-voltage battery (Hybrid), I have had no issues YET.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Samson, for me it was any carwash that sprayed the underside, but also if it rained hard. Since they replaced the Hight Voltage Battery, I have had no issues YET.
Well that’s certainly good news! So far so good for me…

KingSlate

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Found this thread on google search after my 2023 Powerboost issued the Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power wrench light that eventually coupled with a Service Engine Soon light that indicates engine control system has detected that the turbocharger/supercharger is outputting lower boost than expected. I was pulling a camper at the time and definitely felt reduced power. I'm taking it to dealer this week so looking for any advice to solve and not get the runaround. I haven't been through a car wash with it and rarely wet in Arizona. This is at 19.5k miles and previously at 14.5k I had an engine code that they replaced a fuel injector assembly for - wondering if it could be related as that felt like reduced power too. For that fix it was in the shop for 20 days! I'm definitely tracking the Lemon law as I approach 24k miles and might reach 30 days total in shop which looks like one of the Lemon law triggers. Frustrating as I've never had issues like this with a new vehicle before and this is my first Ford purchase.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you pull any DTC codes?
Did the vehicle return to no after a key cycle?

Sponsored

KingSlate

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Didn't pull any codes - figured the dealer can do that. Vehicle seems to run ok now, wrench light went off but engine light remains on.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's possible that you experienced a momentary underboost, or something else that would rarely be recreated.
But there's no way of knowing for sure unless you culled the codes almost immediately. (before the wrench light left) Or if the issue would present itself again.

I predict the dealership being little help without the necessary codes, or the ability to duplicate the event.

KingSlate

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dealer service ended up finding a vacuum leak, apparently a vacuum hose came loose and they reconnected it - seems to be running fine so far. I hope that solves the issue for me!
Sponsored