First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I got gas tonight and had a fuel door open message just after leaving. The door looked mostly closed in the mirror, despite the warning. Got home and looked at it, the post was off the door, but fortunately got caught in the rubber sleeve. Pulled it out and looked at it, then pushed it back in to the door. It seems to just snap in place in the hole. I'm going to consider myself lucky I didn't need a new fuel for for the stupid peg.
Sponsored

Diacritical

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
Got home and looked at it, the post was off the door, but fortunately got caught in the rubber sleeve. Pulled it out and looked at it, then pushed it back in to the door.
Make sure it is attached to the door — there’s a twist involved you can see if you take the door cover off. Otherwise it will eject over and over again.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
There was no twist for mine, literally just a snap for peg. I know it was posted here about the twist, but mine doesn't look like that. If it weren't raining, I would have taken a picture. Maybe this weekend I'll pop it back out and take a picture to post here.

Alman123

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Curiosity got the best of me, so I had to go check it out. Maybe some pictures will help.

IMG_0525.jpeg

Here's a picture of the entire fuel filler opening. The plastic post at the left, on the door, snaps into the hole on the far right. When closed, the rubber seal around the door makes an airtight seal with body of the truck. You have to press the release button on the dash to release the pressure and allow the door to pop open.

IMG_0527.jpeg

The plastic post is surrounded by a rubber sleeve that contains a spring. Here you can see that I have pulled it back with my thumb. This spring causes the door to pop out when the button on the dash is pressed and the pressure is released. I can see how you might bump the plastic post with the gas nozzle if you were not careful, though it has not been a problem for me. The plastic post on mine seemed firmly attached. I wonder if someone not familiar with the system (like the dealership lot guys, filling up the truck for the first time), might try to force the door open and break the plastic post.
Thanks, i just got this message and i see that my cheap plastic post is completely gone, bummer

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I just filled up my first tank last week. I forgot to keep an eye on the little thing. Got in and drove home. No message. Got in the truck with my son the next time I took it out, and got the message. When I got to the store, I opened the door and checked and it was all there. I figured it was a glitch. Got in the truck and again no message.

Then got into the truck the next time and got the message again, but not since. I swear that it only gives me that message after the second time I start it after opening and closing the fuel door.

I have to run some more tests but it's weird.

Sponsored

TheGoodLife

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Was anyone able to find a part number to order just the plastic post that shoots out? I’ve been missing mine for 2 weeks, can’t get a service appointment for 6 more weeks, it’s caused my check engine light to go on, and it’s frustrating. Would love to just order the needed plastic post and fix it myself.

Thanks!

Diacritical

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
You have to get the whole thing, not just the post. They say because it’s part of a pressurization system, it has to be whole. My dealership at the time dilly dallied for weeks, not ever bothering to even call me back before I bought the part myself online (Lakeland Ford) and took it to another dealership to install. Took 45 minutes to fix. Never went back to the original dealership again.

ML3Z8327936C​
$ 121.00​
Housing. Fuel. Filler. Pocket.
5.5 FOOT BOX. 6.5 FOOT BOX. Fuel Filler Housing. door retainer. Bezel. Inner.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
I just filled up my first tank last week. I forgot to keep an eye on the little thing. Got in and drove home. No message. Got in the truck with my son the next time I took it out, and got the message. When I got to the store, I opened the door and checked and it was all there. I figured it was a glitch. Got in the truck and again no message.

Then got into the truck the next time and got the message again, but not since. I swear that it only gives me that message after the second time I start it after opening and closing the fuel door.

I have to run some more tests but it's weird.
Curious about what you found out about your fuel door problem. Mine gave me the error for the first time today. I stopped and got out of the truck to check the door, pushed it hard in case I just hadn't closed it hard enough but the message was still there so I pushed the release button on dash which did pop it open and closed the fuel door again which cleared the message.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Curious about what you found out about your fuel door problem. Mine gave me the error for the first time today. I stopped and got out of the truck to check the door, pushed it hard in case I just hadn't closed it hard enough but the message was still there so I pushed the release button on dash which did pop it open and closed the fuel door again which cleared the message.
I actually haven't gotten the message after those 2 times. Then again I've only filled up once or twice since.

Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
You have to get the whole thing, not just the post. They say because it’s part of a pressurization system, it has to be whole. My dealership at the time dilly dallied for weeks, not ever bothering to even call me back before I bought the part myself online (Lakeland Ford) and took it to another dealership to install. Took 45 minutes to fix. Never went back to the original dealership again.

ML3Z8327936C​
$ 121.00​
Housing. Fuel. Filler. Pocket.
5.5 FOOT BOX. 6.5 FOOT BOX. Fuel Filler Housing. door retainer. Bezel. Inner.
So that part number also includes the post Im assuming? On Lakeland that whole part is only $43.44. Maybe Im missing something, because it looks like yours costed $121.

Diacritical

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
So that part number also includes the post Im assuming? On Lakeland that whole part is only $43.44. Maybe Im missing something, because it looks like yours costed $121.
That was then… supplies are up now; lots of these have been made since bringing the cost down.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Was anyone able to find a part number to order just the plastic post that shoots out? I’ve been missing mine for 2 weeks, can’t get a service appointment for 6 more weeks, it’s caused my check engine light to go on, and it’s frustrating. Would love to just order the needed plastic post and fix it myself.

Thanks!
Hi there. This concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

TheGoodLife

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Thank you very much.
Hi there. This concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Thank you very much. Your reply made me think it was worth me trying again directly with my dealership. They’ve been very kind and helpful in the past, and I didn’t want to go above their head and have negative repercussions for them. I called them again, and they told me to come by any time to have my error code checked. I swung by today and they are taking my truck back to replace the part as I type this. They were great. I think the person I spoke with last time just misunderstood.

Thank you!
Sponsored