Powerboost hybrid - showing fuel door open error message

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
They can def use the old door. Easy swap. But I’ve been waiting for three weeks for my new door assembly to come in. <grrrr>
I live in NW GA and they said in stock in ATL so they’re getting it tomorrow. Was surprised they had em.
Sponsored

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I live in NW GA and they said in stock in ATL so they’re getting it tomorrow. Was surprised they had em.
They have the door, but no techs available to swap it out until 10/4 due to labor shortage and catching up on repairs for people that had waited a long time for parts. Ugh.

Diacritical

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
Update. Dealer is ordering just the post assembly. I think word is out with Ford because they’re readily available. Mine will be here tomorrow via fed ex. I also have a very good dealership. More of a family owned mom and pop place, but the service is usually top notch. They play the long game so You get treated like an asset rather than a liability.
Did you happen to get a part number for that? My dealer is still waiting for the whole door assembly to arrive.

guyadams2

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Sales
Same problem. Rod flew off when door was opened spring gone. Stupid design. I can see this breaking every 6 months. Ford is definitely going need to mode this

Diacritical

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
They have the door, but no techs available to swap it out until 10/4 due to labor shortage and catching up on repairs for people that had waited a long time for parts. Ugh.
Still waiting here. Did you ever get it done? Any part numbers? Tired of waiting on the dealership.

Sponsored

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still waiting here. Did you ever get it done? Any part numbers? Tired of waiting on the dealership.
Yes last week. They had the part next day when I reported it last month, but no repair slots due to only 2 techs on staff (labor shortage).

I don't have the part number (I'll check the paperwork later), but it's the dark grey insert to the fuel door which includes the hinge, rod that breaks, and lanyard for manual opening. They slide the outside door off and slide it onto the new insert.

So far so good. I'll push the door closed gently and make sure the fuel nozzle is not close to the rod.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's the write-up w part number. I hope this helps.

Ford F-150 Powerboost hybrid - showing fuel door open error message IMG_2420.JPG

Birdman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
If the fuel door doesn't feel right and you get, the warning fuel door open, look on the ground for one or both the rod and cone. The notch on the rod must face up for the door to latch. took me a while to get that configuration right, Someone said earlier there was a spring in the cone, could not find one but it now works fine and I will be very careful when fueling in the future.

Diacritical

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid
Thanks! Much appreciated.
Closing this one out for me (for now), I ordered the part from Lakeland Ford in FL, got it in two days. Took the part to Premiere Ford in Brooklyn and they had it fixed next day (and the recall (21B33, IIRC) done as well) using the part I ordered. They did charge me 2 hrs labor for the install since I stupidly noted it was busted by a gas attendant in NJ. I waited for Dana Ford to reply to my calls for 12 weeks before taking it to Premiere. Only the sales guy (a good guy... I’d buy from him again) at Dana was any help at all. Their service section seems very uninterested in customer support.

Sponsored

simulacrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 PB
Any chance you can share the a step or stl file of that latch post you modeled? Mine fired across the yard never to be seen again..

grog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS
Had this issue as well. Presumably knocked my latch off at a gas station but didn't realize it or notice any warning messages until I had driven away. By the time I went back it was not surprisingly impossible to find.

To get the repair done under warranty, I had to drive to a dealership service center, parrot the warning message, be told they need to order the part (attempting to order the part myself would've been $150+), then bring it back when the part arrived. I had to do that twice because the first dealership never called me back after ordering the part, despite waiting over a month. At the second dealership it only took two days.

FWIW, after about a month of driving around with that warning message on start and shutdown, the truck started throwing a CEL as well. Not sure if that was an over-the-air update or the truck gets progressively angrier the longer that issue goes unresolved.

At this point Ford must be seeing an anomaly in the number of fuel doors being order for repair. But it will probably be cheaper for Ford to foot the bill for this repair for the next ~3 years than to come up with a fix and service bulletin.

Tacusi

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 powerboost
Occupation
Amazon safety manager
I have to modified my part a little to make it works so I readjusted my model. I will remake them on next week. Originally, i purposely made a slot a little small and two notches a little of bit wider thinking that when you push in and turn then it will hold up more sturdy, then i have shave a little of notches to made it fit and slide through and it worked. I opened and closed a few time with OEM rubber: no problem , It works as it supposes. Since i accidently removed the cover the other day, I com up with different design: the part is the same but i will drill a M4 at the end of the part, so when I install the rod: I take cover off first, then slide it through, then use M4 and a washer to hold it tight on the back: Then that sucker never be able pop again and stay there forever! I will made a new parts and try again as I said next Friday. I will video machining, install and show you guys,
@grog: if you broke one, i can send you one after I tested. If you want.
Have a great holiday!
If you're giving em away lll gladly take one!! Lol but id buy one for if not. Only 1 day a week im off that the dealer is open for servicing. So getting one would be much easier!!

Montanaskiier

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch and 2020 F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Engineer
My early 21 King Ranch has been in for lots of warranty work, the fuel door failure was one of the first, the dealer had to replace the whole mechanism. Though I had to wait awhile for the part to come in, very annoying message every time the car is started.
Sponsored