Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
New list is up with @Oxford_Powerboost order date:

NameBlendBed/ PartTold DlrMilesCan Drivepart orderedpart arrivedInstall DateIssues After?
Rhymeand reasons
01/05/22​
5.5/W
2/16​
1990​
no
02/18/22​
3/9 - arrived damaged - re-ordered 3/9 - arrived 4/7
4/8/2022​
No!!!
Nasto
01/05/22​
6.5/V
2/22​
296​
NoWrong -S part ordered: 2/23/22. Re-ordered -V: 03/09/22.
3/29/2022​
3/30/2022​
no
Dmark john
12/20/21​
5.5 W
2/21​
400​
yes- drivable
02/21/22​
3/10/2022​
3/11/2022​
No- have 1K miles post repair and everything is good
Bellin stoke
02/01/22​
5.5/W
3/23​
2600​
No----
4/14/2022​
no
iceman77
01/06/22​
5.5/W
2/22​
1707​
Yes
02/24/22​
4/21/2022​
4/23/2022​
no - 2500 miles so far with no leaks
Thunder chief
12/23/21​
5.5/W
3/28​
1237​
No
03/28/22​
4/25/2022​
4/26/2022​
no
MTPower boost
12/06/21​
5.5/W
4/8​
3127​
no
04/06/22​
5/11/2022​
No - 150 miles so far
MrFarly
01/04/22​
6.5/V
4/8​
8000​
Yes
04/11/22​
5/11/2022​
5/12/2022​
No - 30 miles so far
Deeds972MY22
5/9​
no
05/23/22​
Oxford_Po werboost
09/27/21​
5.5/W
2/7​
7600​
Yes
02/07/22​
5/20/2022​
5/25/2022​
no
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
TN Rotty
12/19/21​
6.5/V
3/1​
1100​
Yes
03/07/22​
MatthyiusMY226.5/V
4/18​
3930​
no
04/22/22​
deeds972
12/15/21​
6.5/V
4/29​
4800​
Maybe?mid may?
Ford Driver
01/22/22​
5.5/W
3/29​
300​
No
04/22/22​
Klvanzu
01/16/22​
5.5/W
5/11​
3100​
Yes
05/11/22​

For any new records get me the info in a column like so :

Name
Blend (build date of your truck)
bed/part
told dealer
mileage
drivable
part ordered
part arrived
installed
any issues after

Example:
TN Rotty
12/19/22
6.5/V
03/01/22
Yes
3/7/2022

If you have no info for a field, no worries - just put ??? or similar for that item
Man, you should have had your part delivered by now, Rotty. It's even a -V, which should have been easier to find. Did you ask your dealer how many are in line at your particular dealer? Are you next up there? 😫

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Crew Cab Plat 6.5'
Man, you should have had your part delivered by now, Rotty. It's even a -V, which should have been easier to find. Did you ask your dealer how many are in line at your particular dealer? Are you next up there? 😫
I did not. Last week they said it should be by the end of this month. :rolleyes:

I'd say they are not on Ford's priority list. But at least I got a jug of coolant out of it and a morning routine to check it every day. :LOL:

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
Please forgive this question if is already in this thread. I’ve read most of the pages. I have a 22 PB and I’ve been on a mechanics creeper and cannot find any visible signs of leaking on my exchanger. However, today I noticed that the main coolant reservoir (the big one) was just under the minimum line tonight. The level in the small tank is normal.

Is this an indication of the heat exchanger leak?

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Please forgive this question if is already in this thread. I’ve read most of the pages. I have a 22 PB and I’ve been on a mechanics creeper and cannot find any visible signs of leaking on my exchanger. However, today I noticed that the main coolant reservoir (the big one) was just under the minimum line tonight. The level in the small tank is normal.

Is this an indication of the heat exchanger leak?
It could be. Mine started a puddle under my truck just behind and under the front passenger seat area, but now it's leaking while driving, and I don't really see that puddle anymore.

If you have time, fill your reservoir and keep an eye on it daily. I would then check the heat exchanger for leaks and take pics. Sometimes the leak is not very noticeable on the ground, but you may see a drop of coolant coming off that aluminum tray from the heat exchanger.

I keep my hood up over night, so I check my tank each morning when cold and refill if needed.

You could take it to the dealer for them to look, but it may take a while to get an appointment. I found it easier to find the leak, take a pic, and write it up as a document for the mechanic. The mechanic said it helped him find the issue without delay and get the part ordered.

Let us know what you find.

Sponsored

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
It could be. Mine started a puddle under my truck just behind and under the front passenger seat area, but now it's leaking while driving, and I don't really see that puddle anymore.

If you have time, fill your reservoir and keep an eye on it daily. I would then check the heat exchanger for leaks and take pics. Sometimes the leak is not very noticeable on the ground, but you may see a drop of coolant coming off that aluminum tray from the heat exchanger.

I keep my hood up over night, so I check my tank each morning when cold and refill if needed.

You could take it to the dealer for them to look, but it may take a while to get an appointment. I found it easier to find the leak, take a pic, and write it up as a document for the mechanic. The mechanic said it helped him find the issue without delay and get the part ordered.

Let us know what you find.
Thank you. I felt on the top of the aluminum try and it was dry to the touch. I will keep an eye on the coolant and go ahead and try to schedule an appointment as I know they are probably a ways out in scheduling.

I will up date as I watch it.

As of this morning the coolant level is about 1/8” under the minimum line in main reservoir so I will need to top it off today.

ZIP465

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Guess I was one of those lucky recipients 6.5'/V parts. Mine arrived at the dealer yesterday afternoon (they had no info that it was coming in), installed it last night, delivered the truck to me this afternoon. Put the truck in on 4/21 for reference. Earnhardt Ford did make my first payment and working with Ford directly on partial payment and warranty compensation. I doubt the latter items will go anywhere but we'll see.

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Guess I was one of those lucky recipients 6.5'/V parts. Mine arrived at the dealer yesterday afternoon (they had no info that it was coming in), installed it last night, delivered the truck to me this afternoon. Put the truck in on 4/21 for reference. Earnhardt Ford did make my first payment and working with Ford directly on partial payment and warranty compensation. I doubt the latter items will go anywhere but we'll see.
Do you know your build/blend date or mileage when you noticed the leak? Based on the payment statement, I'm assuming you could not drive the truck when it was discovered?

I can add you to list later tonight.

Sir Choppins

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Operations Manager
I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought I was going crazy! About a month ago while driving my 2022 Lariat Powerboost, I noticed the engine fan was really loud and digital temperatures were were being displayed on the temp gauge. I looked under the hood and discovered the large reservoir was nearly empty looking. I had driven my truck around 1200 miles when I noticed. I called the Ford dealer and told them about it and they suggested putting more coolant in and chalked it up to them not checking the levels prior to delivering me my new truck.
Today I noticed the fan getting loud again and the digital temp was displayed while driving. I checked under the hood and sure enough the large reservoir was nearly empty again.
After finding this thread I was able to diagnose and find the problem quickly.

If I continuing driving my truck before the problem can be fixed (as long as I check the coolant levels) is there any possibility that I'd be causing other damage?

I called my dealer and they said they'll do their best to squeeze me in. Now that I have pics of the leak I hope it'll go somewhat faster. However, do any of you have advice on how to get the dealer to make me a priority and or get a free loaner car while I wait for parts to come in?

The Picture below shows the Coolant leaking on the right bolt. I'm guessing this is the heat exchanger that most everyone on this thread is having the same issue with.
Ford F-150 Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread F150 Coolant Leak

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
I had your same problem, went straight to the dealer and got the same "I will try to squeeze you in" comment. I even had to call someone to get a ride home. The next day I complained to the Manager of the dealership and the manager of the shop about the amount of money I spent with them and how the truck ran only 39-days. I also called Ford Motor Company at

800-392-3673

When you get to the menu at FMC say "WARRANTY" which will get you beyond the answering machine. Say you have the "Exhaust Heat Exchanger" failure and you want help since you spent _______ on a new Ford ------------- and now you are walking. Write down the case number, person's name, numbers, and whatever they tell you. Start keeping a log of all of your calls and actions.

Look up the Lemon Law in TN. Here in NC it is 20-business days in the first year and keep that in mind - don't use it to threaten them. I got my truck back in 29-total days, 21-business days. When you get your truck back, this will be a useful lever in looking for compensation since FMC knows the early 2022 F-150 Builds had this defect.

Do all this and you should get a bit more "yes sir, no sir, ..........", a reasonable loaner vehicle, and a good truck back.

Sponsored

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought I was going crazy! About a month ago while driving my 2022 Lariat Powerboost, I noticed the engine fan was really loud and digital temperatures were were being displayed on the temp gauge. I looked under the hood and discovered the large reservoir was nearly empty looking. I had driven my truck around 1200 miles when I noticed. I called the Ford dealer and told them about it and they suggested putting more coolant in and chalked it up to them not checking the levels prior to delivering me my new truck.
Today I noticed the fan getting loud again and the digital temp was displayed while driving. I checked under the hood and sure enough the large reservoir was nearly empty again.
After finding this thread I was able to diagnose and find the problem quickly.

If I continuing driving my truck before the problem can be fixed (as long as I check the coolant levels) is there any possibility that I'd be causing other damage?

I called my dealer and they said they'll do their best to squeeze me in. Now that I have pics of the leak I hope it'll go somewhat faster. However, do any of you have advice on how to get the dealer to make me a priority and or get a free loaner car while I wait for parts to come in?

The Picture below shows the Coolant leaking on the right bolt. I'm guessing this is the heat exchanger that most everyone on this thread is having the same issue with.
F150 Coolant Leak .jpg
That is the leak and a great pic as well. That drop on the bolt is what I saw when I found mine. I'd print that out to hand to the service rep for the mechanic/tech to see. You can add to the print the part number you think is needed (I need to add that info to the bottom of the tracker sheet for folks).

From @Nasto :
Depends on your bed size. The original defective part number is ML3Z-5A212-S.​
The updated part for a 5.5 foot bed is ML3Z-5A212-W.
The updated part for a 6.5 foot bed is ML3Z-5A212-V.​

Given that it took a month to go from full to empty, you should be able to keep your truck and drive it while waiting on the part. Ask the dealer for a gallon of Ford concentrate coolant, and use that (diluted, of course) to check your levels and refill as needed. (I check mine each morning.) Loaner vehicles are hit and miss at dealerships due to used vehicle shortages, so I'm not sure what to tell you there.

As far as a priority, I'm the wrong one to ask. I think I've got the longest wait for a drivable heat exchanger repair still to be repaired now (94 days waiting on the part). @Oxford_Powerboost had a 107 day wait for his drivable repair, the longest I believe. I had a case with the @Ford Motor Company and the rep was worthless and never contacted me back when I asked a question. All the rep did was contact the dealer to ask if they ordered the part. If anything, I think the rep slowed the process for me. So I would not recommend asking them for help.

Looks like if your truck is not drivable, the repairs are "quicker", but @iceman77 waited for 2 months for his repair. @Matthyius is getting close to that mark.

As far as damage, if you keep coolant in it each day, and don't let it get below Min, you should be fine. My opinion of course and I'm not a mechanic, but I do play as one at home.

Best of luck and keep us posted. I'll add what I know about your truck to the list. Do you know the blend/build date?

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
That is the leak and a great pic as well. That drop on the bolt is what I saw when I found mine. I'd print that out to hand to the service rep for the mechanic/tech to see. You can add to the print the part number you think is needed (I need to add that info to the bottom of the tracker sheet for folks).

From @Nasto :

Given that it took a month to go from full to empty, you should be able to keep your truck and drive it while waiting on the part. Ask the dealer for a gallon of Ford concentrate coolant, and use that (diluted, of course) to check your levels and refill as needed. (I check mine each morning.) Loaner vehicles are hit and miss at dealerships due to used vehicle shortages, so I'm not sure what to tell you there.

As far as a priority, I'm the wrong one to ask. I think I've got the longest wait for a drivable heat exchanger repair still to be repaired now (94 days waiting on the part). @Oxford_Powerboost had a 107 day wait for his drivable repair, the longest I believe. I had a case with the @Ford Motor Company and the rep was worthless and never contacted me back when I asked a question. All the rep did was contact the dealer to ask if they ordered the part. If anything, I think the rep slowed the process for me. So I would not recommend asking them for help.

Looks like if your truck is not drivable, the repairs are "quicker", but @iceman77 waited for 2 months for his repair. @Matthyius is getting close to that mark.

As far as damage, if you keep coolant in it each day, and don't let it get below Min, you should be fine. My opinion of course and I'm not a mechanic, but I do play as one at home.

Best of luck and keep us posted. I'll add what I know about your truck to the list. Do you know the blend/build date?
The other thing that is hit or miss with the dealer's service dept. is whether they want you to sign a waiver to keep driving your truck. Some will just give you some jugs of coolant and let you be on your merry way until the part comes in. Others, like mine, won't continue the R.O. (Repair Order) until you sign the waiver, which basically says that if you choose to continue to drive it and that leads to something else breaking down, you're "potentially" responsible for that cost. It was a tough call, but we let the dealer keep it for 37 days.

Sir Choppins

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Manager
I had your same problem, went straight to the dealer and got the same "I will try to squeeze you in" comment. I even had to call someone to get a ride home. The next day I complained to the Manager of the dealership and the manager of the shop about the amount of money I spent with them and how the truck ran only 39-days. I also called Ford Motor Company at

800-392-3673

When you get to the menu at FMC say "WARRANTY" which will get you beyond the answering machine. Say you have the "Exhaust Heat Exchanger" failure and you want help since you spent _______ on a new Ford ------------- and now you are walking. Write down the case number, person's name, numbers, and whatever they tell you. Start keeping a log of all of your calls and actions.

Look up the Lemon Law in TN. Here in NC it is 20-business days in the first year and keep that in mind - don't use it to threaten them. I got my truck back in 29-total days, 21-business days. When you get your truck back, this will be a useful lever in looking for compensation since FMC knows the early 2022 F-150 Builds had this defect.

Do all this and you should get a bit more "yes sir, no sir, ..........", a reasonable loaner vehicle, and a good truck back.
Thank you very much for the information and advice I will definitely put it to use. I talked to the service manager of the dealership and he's getting me in on 6/6/22. I'll definitely keep you all updated on the rigamaroll they try to put me through!

Sir Choppins

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Manager

From @Nasto :

I ordered my truck with the dealer on 11/21/21 and drove it off the lot on 2/12/22. I'm not quite sure where exactly to find the blend build date so hopefully the dates provide some relevance. My truck has a 5.5' bed. Thank you!

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I ordered my truck with the dealer on 11/21/21 and drove it off the lot on 2/12/22. I'm not quite sure where exactly to find the blend build date so hopefully the dates provide some relevance. My truck has a 5.5' bed. Thank you!
It's on your window sticker.
Sponsored